TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gunmonkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BKO_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me at Gunmonkey...Smile

Your work is just...wow. I can see why smbhax.com likes your stuff so much. You guys are cut from a similar cloth (and I mean that in a very good way). The art, the writing (even with the occasional broken English)...excellent.

tommi2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new episode http://gunmonkey.kissagalleria.com/index.php?season=20

chrome users, can you see this comic allright?
DEADNEMO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Noir Grit Reply with quote

I read the first issue and I thought the dialogue, story and art were ok. But what stood out for me is the sense of noir style you have created with your use of heavy inks. With that added into the mix I think it really compliments your art and story.

-Thonie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to DEADNEMO: you should also read last episode... it is drawed in totally different style.

I usually say that new readers should start in episode 18. in that episode I really learned how to draw with computer.. if they are interesested in story and want to know backrounds, then they should read episodes 1-17.

edit: older episodes are now in archive.. episode 18 is new "1"..
tommi2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is... kind of "end it all or the beginning" episode... full of hopeless chlisees and xxxxtra sad feeling.

http://gunmonkey.kissagalleria.com/index.php?season=21&mode=

btw. webpage doesn't always load in my computer (again: these webpages are my friends and i don't want to complain.. we have in Finland saying: you shouldnt look in free horses mouth). please reload and everything should be ok. if not, let me know.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, we're so deep in his head!

Some great faces in this one--I especially like the doctor's. And although your color palette has gotten really good, those two black and white pages when he's going home are quite striking too! They've made me realize that I've been drawing too much backlighting on everything--I should just go all-out black on the shadowed sides of things more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for positive feedback.. yes , i like those black and white pages myself too.. actually so much that i desided that gunmonkey would be black and white only again... but i couldn't draw that good pages... i tried, but those became too black and you couldn't see who was who (characters were almost all black)... if you look closely, this episode have several "half black and white" pages, which didn't work as a black and white only.

it take (for me atleast) so much to draw a decent black and white page that i had to admit that those happened by accident...

i quess that is different between professional and amateur, that pro deliver good quality all the time, amateur only by accident...

of course i could draw every page so many times that result would be good... but i don't have the patience to do so.. i tried...

btw: i have many friends that ask "use my face as a gunmonkey character".. that doctor is Jukka. this episode also have Jari, Mika and my own face (as a hobo-darnell).
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely know how the accident thing goes. I wouldn't mind having accidents like those two pages once in a while, though. :)

Your friend has a good doctor face!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i have received remarks in twitter that gunmonkeys english should be better.. what do you think?

i actually have listened smbhax.com's opinion and have written "quick" english in purpose that there would be as much as possible "funny mistakes"..
if i just write english (like now) i know it is full of mistakes, but i could try to correct those if this is something what really matters to most of people.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>_> <_< Yeah don't just listen to me, I have weird tastes I think :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i know but i value your opinion most... you should meet me in person, i really speak english like gunnar... it could be really hilarious for you Smile

i have a realistic view of my comic. i know that the story and art are no more than mediocre. IMHO every very good and successful comic have that something that separates those from others. i wonder if broken english could be it...

in other hand I could benefit from learning the grammar. i have to write some english email and letters in work... now i always ask somebody check those out before i send those.

one idea is that gunnar/gunmonkey speaks bad english and other text is more carefully written?

does it disturb anyone that i don't check grammar? http://gunmonkey.kissagalleria.com/

btw: google translate is no good, but have you any idea how i could check my grammar without asking somebody?
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose in theory it is always better to know than not to know--and it would help you in other stuff!

I know a program like Microsoft Word (in English) will check (English) grammar, although of course machine grammar isn't always correct. I'd think there'd be some sort of free grammar checking software somewhere, but the first three or so Google hits for "grammar check" were online things that were pretty bad, so I dunno. :|

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new episode is here http://gunmonkey.kissagalleria.com/index.php?season=22&mode=

i tried to write as good english as i could without help, but left "the monkey speech" in broken english... i hope this is a good compromise.

i like to have brutal feedback ... if you think "the soul of the gunmonkey" is lost or something , please tell me.

for me what makes a good comic is the little things. i am afraid that the lanquage could be one thing with gunmonkey and without broken english it is just one bulk comic more.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I think this is a good episode! :D Besides which, I don't know of any other webcomics that manage to have such absurd yet somehow convincing dialogue, regardless of whether or not the grammar is correct. So I guess I'm trying to say that what I particularly like about it is that the comic's whole point of view is broken, not just the dialogue.

The conversation between monkey and the guys locked behind the door is pretty amusing. I really like the hallucination ("a traaaaaap" :D), and the drawings of the heads in the darkness of the locked room. And the stark black and white drawing on the "I am the hero here" page is super!

Last edited by smbhax.com on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am; edited 3 times in total
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh by the way the archive page is a few episodes out of date, also the numbers above the comic don't match the episodes they take you to. Your web dude must be slacking again. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: