TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gimp? Wtf?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Pandar
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Gimp? Wtf? Reply with quote

So, after another power surge at my current residence, my Windows XP OS seems to have crapped out (infinite reboot loop, recovery console doesn't fix it).

In desperation I installed Ubuntu, which allowed me to access my files. Problem is, now I can't access Photoshop CS3 to make some visuals (which is part of the reason why I haven't updated in like a month). When I try to do so in WINE I get the "You must agree to this liscense" thing, but no license shows up & I can't progress. Anyone know how to fix that?

But that reminds me. Everything runs really slow in WINE. It would be a terrible pain to try to draw things with it. Anyone know how to make it run faster?

And in the mean time, I'm having trouble getting used to the Gimp interface. Is there a "make it act just like Photoshop" option somewhere?

And another thing. How do I get Windows back? I don't have the install cd so I can't do a repair install. I'm buying a new computer soon with Windows7, but that's supposed to be just for music making.

S*P*Q*R
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try installing GIMPshop, I guess.
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munkymu is correct, GIMPShop is the version of GIMP that looks like Photoshop. It's a separate download.

NobbyNobody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that the you are using a legal copy of Windows and you have the authentication code for it (often on a sticker on the side or back of the computer's case) then all you need to do is borrow someone else's XP CD and re-install it using YOUR auth code. Perfectly legal too, because the licence is the code, not the disc.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem there is a suitable build of Gimpshop for what you're running.

Apparently the Debian version on this page might work, but you might need to do some jiggery pokery on it.

Jess suggests using the trial version of Crossover Office instead of Wine and seeing how that goes. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

Blog
mooncity
is awesome cool.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure sounds like that power surge may have fried something. It's beyond me, so I hate to offer any advice per se, but wonder if the problem is more in the hardware than the software?

The comic strip that never was.
Lord Pandar
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
GIMPshop

Quote:
Crossover Office

Will check those out.

Quote:
borrow someone else's XP CD

That's the kicker, I can't seem to find someone who still has it.

Quote:
Sure sounds like that power surge may have fried something.

That's what I thought, but wouldn't fried hardware keep me from running at all, as opposed to just in Windows?

S*P*Q*R
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Pandar wrote:

Quote:
Sure sounds like that power surge may have fried something.

That's what I thought, but wouldn't fried hardware keep me from running at all, as opposed to just in Windows?

You'd think but to give an example my old PC was on the way out, the power supply was in its death throws and shouldn't even have been powering the speakers let alone the whole machine, the mother board had dead capacitors and the hard-drive was developing bad sectors.

It couldn't install a fresh copy of windows, but it could install and run Fedora fine, but not all the software I tried.

Blog
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
It doesn't seem there is a suitable build of Gimpshop for what you're running.

There is but it's not an 'official' version. Details are at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239277

Prestwick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you'd be surprised just how much damage computers can take before they fail to POST. Some are built like Toyota Hiluxes they take so much punishment through power surges, dust, bangs and bashes, overheating and general lack of care yet still somehow manage to work.

Photoshop through WINE is a non starter unless you have a fully operating computer to handle the emulation. You could optimise your install of Ubuntu to run WINE as efficiently as possible but that would take too much time and is way too complicated.

GIMPshop then is your main hope. This is short of moving what you can onto an external HDD and using a friends' PC to do the rest of your comic until you can secure a replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldnīt say this but desperation and Linux seems in many cases going hand in hand. Not that computer stuff in general would be nice, easy and free of frustration.

In addition of Gimpshop, thereīs a software called Krita. However I donīt have an idea in where it locates compared to PS <-> GS then. Eh, it looks like somewhat similar.

http://www.koffice.org/krita/
Beertycoon
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tskingdom wrote:
Shouldnīt say this but desperation and Linux seems in many cases going hand in hand. Not that computer stuff in general would be nice, easy and free of frustration.

In addition of Gimpshop, thereīs a software called Krita. However I donīt have an idea in where it locates compared to PS <-> GS then. Eh, it looks like somewhat similar.

http://www.koffice.org/krita/

This looks neat. Gonna try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i do all my work in photoshop in ubuntu. no problem. but i'm still on cs 2 so that's maybe the reason.

but if linux doesn't work for you, try to download a windows iso and burn it on a cd. then reinstall with your legal codes.
Lord Pandar
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run at speeds comparable to Windows? I've read that CS2 running on Ubuntu has been figured out pretty well, so I might just install that. Of course, the ideal thing would be to figure out how to fix Windows so that I can switch between the two operating systems at will...

S*P*Q*R
lionbeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeb the speed is faster for me...but then again i'm on 64 bit ubuntu with 4g of ram so...i don't know if that changes anything.

but i would definitly try it out. and turn off compiz fusion if it's still slow...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: