TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scripts and scripting.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Varethane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oh, I can do this!

....yikes.
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varethane, LOL! I wish I knew where I tucked my hand written copy of Scent of Spring. There are bits that look about like that.

But I don't have the original scripts of either of the two I'm actually working on readily to hand, so I grabbed a bit of Black Flag 2 (which I'm storyboarding right now) that didn't contain any spoilers.

Later...
Sirens go off, the Revenge has been dropped into realspace again.
Bellamie is decending on the lift, analysis tool in hand.
Bellamie: The second time in six days -- this is getting serious. He should have let me take those samples. (She turns to Chivers.) Where is he, anyway? Isnít he going to help?
Chivers: The Captain? Heís supervising the tuning teams on the fore generators.
Bellamie: Oh. (She joins the tuning team herself but the next chance she gets she tells Chivers) You need to convince him to head into Barataria for repairs. My mother wonít even be there.
Chivers: Why donít you convince him.
Bellamie: (Puzzled) Why would he listen to me? I donít even see him much anymore, and when I do, heís with Lai or Linda. They... donít seem to like having me around.
Chivers: Maybe theyíre jealous.
Bellamie: Jealous? Why?
Chivers: Youíre pretty, bright, talented...
Bellamie (looking bewildered) But so are they! (She goes off to some other task.)
Chivers: (looking after her) ...also completely clueless.

As you see, my scripts look a lot like play scripts. Minimalistic, almost entirely dialog, and nothing fancy. I do all the splitting up into panels and pages and so forth at the storyboarding stage, rewriting the dialog as needed as I do so.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varethane, that is what I believe the kids would call "epic." :D

For gag-a-day type stuff, I jot the idea down on an old Dilbert day calendar page (I have a stack of 300+ of these under my calendar, after all!), and toss it on the table next to my computer, where it sits along with the others until I need a comic idea and happen to grab it.

For my story comic, I'm slightly more organized. My working scripts look something like this snippet from the episode 4 .txt file:
Code:
A* Ep. 4

Sal - shipper Vero knows

# scene 1 - Freighter AX71120 control module

(digital flicker, rez in)
v - S-Sig?
s - Yeah. Don't worry, the cabin's sealed back up now.
v - That meteoroid hit--
s - Just the cabin. I think I've got most of the systems back online.
s - I tried shutting down the reactor like you wanted, but I'm still getting energy readings.
s - I think it-- Ugh...
v - Sig! Where's your helmet? You should--

The letter beginning each line of dialog is a cryptic abbreviation for the name of the speaking character. The number below the line is the ID number for that line that I'll also put on the photoshop layer containing the text, and in the file name of the wav file for the recorded dialog.

I spell-check the script, and copy-and-paste lines from it into Photoshop when I'm doing the lettering, to make sure I avoid spelling errors as much as possible.

When the animated episode is released I release a somewhat polished up version for translators or the merely curious: still in plain txt format, but reformatted to ape movie/voiceover script formats I've seen. The released episode 4 script is here for instance.
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of related/interesting older threads:

Scripting?

Okay, how do you PLAN your comic's pages?
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinxtigr wrote:
All my scripting happens on little cards, or now it's started to go on sheets of paper folded into 16-page minicomics, stapled and cut into a teeny booklet a bit larger than a business card. ALL the dialogue and plot for a strip update goes on one of those pages. If it doesn't fit, it's too much or I won't be able to get it across.

When I'm storyboarding, I write all the dialog out on the page, so it's pretty obvious when I've trying to do too much, and need to either reduce the wordage, or split the page.

In fact, "If you can't get the page to work, you are trying to put too much story on it" has kind of become my principal advice to self while storyboarding.

I guess the result is probably something that could be written on a business card -- I just arrive there via a different process. Smile
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper email is the best invention since digital newspapers.
And the irony of scanning it to share it with you doesn't escape me, either.

I hardly script anything, but then.. I hardly draw anything.

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
Alohilani

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly no one cares because my webcomic isn't even posted yet, just sitting here in a pile of marker drawings, but here are my notes-to-self on it.

It's an episodic comic, so these are ideas for later plotlines.

"IDEAS FOR LATER!!!

~Road trip (Jumbo/Large)

Dyna and Kila go on a road trip. Oh no.

~Wilderness

The scientists get stuck in the woods trying out a new teleportation device."

That- that's it.

And here's a block of dialog I jotted down for later use because I thought it was funny yesterday. Today I am not so sure.

"Kila: Hey, I have this friend with relationship issues.
Dyna: A friend, huh? I gotcha. You donít need to be embarrassed, honey-pie; heaven knows you havenít had much practice with men.
Kila: No, I really have a friend. Insomuch as he is my friend. Itís Pilau. He needs help.
Dyna: Donít pin your inadequacies on poor Pilau. I said Iíd help you.
Kila: ITíS NOT ME, DYNA! AME KEF, would I really ask you and your bird-brain to help ME?
Dyna: Why are you so negative?
Kila: FFAH! Never mind, I look online!
Dyna: I need to start slipping her anxiety medication.
Kila: I HEARD THAT, YOU MORON!"

And uh I guess the rest of my notes are still in my head somewhere.
Alohilani

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4LS wrote:
ttallan wrote:
The editing stage in which I turn the text into pages is really quite fascinating, even to me.

Oh god storyboarding. I don't like saying it, but I often end up hating this stage.

Really? It's my favorite part! I love to think of all the little gestures and expressions the characters can make when they talk, what different camera angles I can throw in, where the speech bubbles should go...

I write and draw my comics myself, so I don't have to worry about writing a coherent script since what I write is basically there to trigger my memories of what I wanted to draw. On the drawing side, however, I have taken requests from people- I've never really collaborated on a comic, this was just casual art-sharing among friends, and I find that the worst thing ever to hear when you ask someone what they want you to draw is

'oh just do whatever you feel like :>'

Yes, thank you, that's how I spend the time I don't spend drawing requests.

Anyway, Prestwick, your attention to detail sounds quite impressive. I can't imagine how much time you and German must put into this stuff. You sound like very professional people.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prestwick wrote:
Quote:
That’s true. But I believe that it’s my duty as a writer to come up with a script that is so detailed that my artist does not have to think for an hour how the strip could be drawn at the beginning. I also think that a strip can profit from a detailed script because it is better when two people instead of only one consider details “Sandra is not looking at Larisa. Instead she is typing a sms into her cellphone” that add to the immersion of reality.

I'd agree with that. It'd be quite difficult to get the artist to fully immerse hi-...err..themselves..in the story and atmosphere if each page only has a single line with a basic "Alan shoots bad guy with gun. Kathy is very pleased" kind of thing. I mean, I'm all for setting artists free and all that but thats taking the mick. Starving the artist of information is kind of like cruelty to artists Sad

If I was doing art for someone as their artist, what I'd want would be just "Alan shoots bad guy with gun." I hate detailed, elaborate descriptions of each panel; I prefer to be creative and come up with an interesting way to present what's scripted. I'm glad this works for you guys, though. Cool

My scripts vary a lot depending on the scene. Most of my work is done in the storyboarding stage. I have a very, very loose outline of the whole story, which includes such gems as
Quote:
She ends up taking the sword. (they go back to get the sword once they decide to leave because she thinks it's relevant? and Dayun's all 'fuck it we're going to get suspended anyway')

And that is the extent of the script for that scene. I have no shame in posting it, even though it's not going to be up for months, because no one besides me will have any idea what it means. Laughing As I get closer to scenes, either I script them in my rough pencil stage, on the paper... I find I get a much better idea of how the scene works if I script it visually... or if I have an idea for a scene and want to put it all down without having the time to script the whole thing, if I really want it detailed, I end up with something like this.

Quote:
INT. A strange dark place – unknown
Rease stands on one white stone, staring across a black sea of ink, water sloshing up against some gray walls. The door is white and blasts her with white. She is standing on one of a series of stepping stones leading towards the white doorway. She stands, staring at the white doorway. Blue’s voice comes from beyond the white doorway.
BLUE
Come with me, Rease. I can tell you everything you want to know.
Rease stares towards the door with a slightly stricken look on her face. Show her from beyond the door, the walls white on this side, white water splashing up against the barriers. Beyond the white water, there’s white sand, bits of blue, and otherwise a lovely, beautiful looking place. Rease seems to be a bit horrified or stricken.
REASE
Everything?
Blue materializes, coming towards her and wrapping around her with her ethereal, ghost-like body.
BLUE
Everything. You just have to come with me.

REASE
Where are you going to take me?

BLUE
To the white city. To the pinnacle of all memories.
She smiles and her eyes light up with brilliant white fire.
BLUE
It is memory’s domain. You will find your answers there.
Show another shot through the door, Blue pushes Rease to take a step forward.
BLUE
As well as your escape from the one who hides inside your mind.
Rease looks back at Blue, who looks suddenly a lot more demonic for a moment or two.
REASE
Saerin?

The final version of that scene can be found in my archive in chapter five, somewhere... the biggest change was that I removed the wall and just made it empty space, with a door in the middle of nowhere, because I felt that looked more visually interesting and mysterious.
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alohilani wrote:
Possibly no one cares because my webcomic isn't even posted yet

I haven't got a comic posted either. Smile

4LS wrote:
..and why do my characters have to spend all their time talking to each other anyway, dammit?

I am firmly of the opinion that stories where people spend all their time talking to each other are not necessarily a bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:
4LS wrote:
..and why do my characters have to spend all their time talking to each other anyway, dammit?

I am firmly of the opinion that stories where people spend all their time talking to each other are not necessarily a bad thing.

Phew!

(I keep running into these scenes that seem to go on forever where things need to be explained and set in order... and thinking up ways to make them visually interesting is hard. Action sequences are a breeze in comparison-- it's like they draw themselves.)
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I tend to prefer comics that break up the standing-around-talking thing with, well what I guess you'd call "action"; I don't mean necessarily action-movie style action, but at least someone going and doing something. And it's nice when you can see the talking building up to the action, or cause and effect of some sort anyway. So like

talking -> leads to -> action -> results in -> talking -> leads to -> action -> results in... (etc)

Not that it should be an infinite pattern just like that with no variation of course. Anyway, that's just what I find I prefer in comic stories.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even to the point where they aren't necessarily doing anything specific, but just moving around the room, turning, gesticulating, and so forth. That's pretty good. In some comics the characters just hold the same straight pose in panel after panel--that always gets to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to throw weird camera angles into dialog scenes. 8D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: