TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So...Dreamweaver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML is pretty darn easy. It's not even a programming language, it's just a bunch of formatting tags. If you've ever used the [img] and [url] tags on the forums... it's not much harder than that. All you have to do is figure out how to play with tables.

I made my pages in a text editor (emacs FTW!) One of these days I should probably get off my lazy butt and learn PHP or Ruby or something.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft...if you can't do it in Fortran, RPG II, or Pascal, it's probably not worht doing...
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pascal was great. It was like being taught to swim with gentle, friendly dolphins before being tossed into the piranha pool of C.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Pfft...if you can do it in Fortran, RPG II, or Pascal, it's probably not worht doing...

Fix'd.

I'd recommend looking into learning a little HTML or just grabbing the first WYSWYG program you feel comfortable with. You can spend a long time on simple designs with either so it's best to have a clear idea in your head on what you want and how long you're going to spend on it.

Dreamweaver and Web Elements have some handy features if you don't want to spend a lot of time learning about code etc, personally I use HTML Kit for the preview function, but that's only good if you code by hand.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sure, you can alter my statement but you can't edit the transposition in "worth". Rolling Eyes

Editors...
Aarin
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck typing! Dreamweaver yay!

I only use it for tags, file management, and previews though. It shaves so much time off hand-coding for me, and time is something I don't have.
Jardel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Oh, sure, you can alter my statement but you can't edit the transposition in "worth". Rolling Eyes

Editors...
The typo makes it authentic. Besides, me correcting people on language skills is a major case of pot and kettle.
chasecorbeau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withershins uses SomeryC.

SomeryC webiste wrote:

What is it?

SomeryC is a powerful, user-friendly script designed specifically to suit the needs of webcomic publishers. Built on the framework of weblogging software Somery, SomeryC is naturally light-weight and full-featured. Sporting an array of features, from easy-uploading to comic-queuing, SomeryC is a quick and easy way for publishers, novice and professional alike, to get content to the audience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
HTML is pretty darn easy. It's not even a programming language, it's just a bunch of formatting tags. If you've ever used the [img] and [url] tags on the forums... it's not much harder than that. All you have to do is figure out how to play with tables.

I made my pages in a text editor (emacs FTW!) One of these days I should probably get off my lazy butt and learn PHP or Ruby or something.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I want to learn html and I get the bare basics (bold, italic, paragraph, etc) but what I want on the site, well-- even I know it's a bit more than I can handle given the deadline I've forced on myself. I still plan to learn it but I'm afraid if I put it off long enough to learn what I need to know, it'll never get done. I'd rather have the decent site first and learn code when I'm not rushed. I'll be starting grad school in the fall and I want to work on getting as much as I can into the archives so since I'll likely fall behind, I'll still have material to post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on making frequent updates and news posts then I would recommend using the blog software Wordpress with the ComicPress plugin.

http://mindfaucet.com/comicpress/
BaiyuDan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hands-on approach to Web design is the best for me. HttP to get the information, and good-ol' Cascading Style Sheets to make sure it doesn't all look like complete crap. Now if only I could get around to actually doing it...
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookofbiff wrote:
If you plan on making frequent updates and news posts then I would recommend using the blog software Wordpress with the ComicPress plugin.

http://mindfaucet.com/comicpress/

Thanks, I've looked at several different applications for updating webcomics
but this seems to be the most recommended. It doesn't really matter to me which one I use... so long as it works Rolling Eyes
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:

gedit>nano>emacs>vi>notepad
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to make a confession... I use wordpad every now and then for the find/replace feature Embarassed

S*P*Q*R
Elfkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygry... do you have to have a dynamic site. Or would you be okay with a static site that you manually update?

And does it have to be blog form?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: