TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before and After
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a progression in some of these and it's funny, but reading through the actual comics (like I recently decided to start re-reading Imy) I don't notice as much. Then when people put the pages next each other it's so obvious. It's funky.

One of the first pages in the original series:

Towards the end of the original version of the comic:

The latest comic, page 120 in the current archive:

Blog
4LS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love looking at these too! It's crazy how much people improve. (Except Nobby, of course. Honestly, can't you put in a bit more effort, man! You're just not trying Wink )

BTW - smbhax, read though The Princess and The Giant recently, I really liked it. Love the kind of woodcut style. But then I'm a sucker for b&w art.

First page with dialogue. Actually, one of the things I dislike most about this page is the fact that it was done on paper not card - so it bobbled up and I couldn't get it to scan flat. Still used paper for a whole bunch of pages though, for some reason.

Page I'm most pleased with from this year.

And ... last week's (I only put this week's up two seconds ago).

Varethane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys. XD

....For my own stuff, well... the really early pages don't really show much, so here's one of the first pages where I settled into the technique I ended up using for the rest of the comic-- sort of, anyway.

For the next... Friday's page.

This one does show an improvement in scenery-- I also started using more markers to shade (earlier I was only using one tone for everything), so there can be more depth.

I think the most improvement has been in my handling of faces and figures, though-- so since the latest page doesn't show this very well, here's a panel from another recent one (it is also really huge so you can see how massively rough my work is XD Does get the expressions across though!):

No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4LS wrote:
smbhax, read though The Princess and The Giant recently, I really liked it. Love the kind of woodcut style. But then I'm a sucker for b&w art.

Thanks, glad you like it. You may be the first person to refer to the art in my comics as "woodcut" style (although I have a bad memory so I could be totally wrong on that :o), and yeah that is a term I've thought of before in reference to it. For instance although this comic has what is probably my worst drawing of the main character (ack), I really like the part around her feet, because it seems particularly wood-cutty to me. And I draw with CTRL+X, so cutting really is an apt description.

I find it interesting that your comic's art went from gray tones to more straight up black and white. Was that a conscious stylistic change?
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varethane wrote:
I think the most improvement has been in my handling of faces and figures, though-- so since the latest page doesn't show this very well, here's a panel from another recent one (it is also really huge so you can see how massively rough my work is XD Does get the expressions across though!):

I like how you've progressed from stock anime-type faces to faces with actual expression and individuality. I see so many comics that look nice on the surface but are just stuck in that generic anime look, it gets kind of depressing sometimes. =p

I like the looseness and variability of your lines; you get nice results from that brush pen. I used to try "painting" on the computer, pressure sensitive tablets and all that, but it really just doesn't come anywhere close to what a real brush can do.

I also liked this from the end of your interesting "about" page:
Quote:
I don't have a single solid script for the entire comic; the tone of a panel or a scene can change depending on nuances in the art, so I don't want to commit myself in advance to some line of dialogue that may end up not working out quite as I'd meant it to in the final. This means that the story and characters are constantly evolving in some rather unpredictable ways, which makes the process of making it more interesting for me.

That's something I try to do, too--to let the thing evolve in what I guess you could call an organic way, drawings and writing and mistakes and all. I intentionally try to avoid falling into formulas for drawing figures and faces so that that change and learning process can keep happening. The individual results can look "rough" and "inconsistent," but it keeps the process interesting for me...and hopefully keeps the comic interesting for some readers, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great topic! I always find it facinating to see where an artist starts, and how far they have progressed. Smile

First drawn over a year ago, I was just figuring out how to draw our characters from various angles, and setting the scenery:
Page 3:

Now a year later, mostly through study of others work and practise, I feel I am much more comfortable drawing the various characters and scenes in our comic.
Page 67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Let's have a 'several hundred' version, shall we?

Number 32:

Number 386:

I'm very not satisfied and want to skip ahead to number 3268 or so, but I guess there have been SOME changes Very Happy

Sorry about the boobies- at least some of them are wearing a bikini Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 1, old version of Millennium (circa 2003):

It went through a lot of style shifts until looking more consistently like
Page 71, old version of Millennium (circa...2005?):

(I actually still like this page)

Second page, new version of Millennium (circa 2008):

Considering I drew that earlier last year I've gotten a little better since then, too...just not much farther.
I think Lovefeast has changed since last year, too, but not quite as drastically. I started Millennium way back when I didn't actually know how to draw, and was too lazy about coloring to actually color it!
I still have lots of issues with black and white art and comicing. I hope to overcome those in Lovefeast. I have issues painting backgrounds in color, too, but I'll have to get over that much more quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone

Great stuff here... tons of inspiring improvement.

Mega old school SZ from 2004:

Somewhat less old school SZ from 2008:

Take care

Stef

http://sarahzero.com
tpiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty fun to see. I forgot how far Imy has come! Anyway, here's my stuff.

July 2007

Today's update

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, good job guys. really inspiring to see how much a person can improve. terrifying to see proof that nobby has always been a master cross-hatcher.

my first:

my latest:

now with huge banner!

Last edited by NO ONE on NEVER; edited NO times in total!
4LS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:

Thanks, glad you like it. You may be the first person to refer to the art in my comics as "woodcut" style (although I have a bad memory so I could be totally wrong on that Surprised), and yeah that is a term I've thought of before in reference to it. For instance although this comic has what is probably my worst drawing of the main character (ack), I really like the part around her feet, because it seems particularly wood-cutty to me. And I draw with CTRL+X, so cutting really is an apt description.

I find it interesting that your comic's art went from gray tones to more straight up black and white. Was that a conscious stylistic change?

Interesting - woodcut is the first thing I thought of when I looked at it. It reminds me a little of the prints you get in old illustrated books and such, plus some more recent experimental comics I've seen that use the technique. I think you can do some really beautiful stuff with that style, and it's something I'd love to have a go at. Unfortunately, it's on a long list ... maybe in my second or third reincarnation ...

As for my art style - it wasn't really that conscious, I'm afraid. I messed about a lot at the start with different amounts of hatching and ink-washes, until it settled down into something I was reasonably happy with. But half of that was working out what I could do consistently without screwing it up. Now I've had more practice, I want to go back and try out things I couldn't get to work before - at the moment, I'm trying to cut down again on the amount of hatching I do, for instance. I'm not very gung-ho about it though, so it takes me ages to change.

m_estrugo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see the first strip of Alice Otter...

..and the latest one where she appears (although I'd change that tomorrow)

I see not so much of a change, since I draw Alice Otter more or less the same way all these years. I'd say my style was quite established when I started the strip, and all I've done this time was putting more emphasis on line weight and cleaned up much of the cluttering on my earlier strips.

Anyway, if we want to go to my humble beginnings as a webcartoonist, I've got some of the first stuff I put on the web in 1995.

The memories! I had to scan those with a hand scanner, one of these you had to roll over the thing you wanted to scan, slowly and patiently. The thing had an awful resolution and only scanned black and white, and it was impossible to have the thing straight while you scanned. That's why the strip looks bent in the midst.

You know, I'd revive that old strip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are so cool, here's mine.

Terra (March 20, 2009)

Terra (today's update, October 27, 2009)

Old concept art (July, 2007)

New Cover (20 October, 2009)

Wish I could find some older pics, lol...

My deviantART
TWCL Profile
gsilverfish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get in with this. Here's #2

And #200

Sometimes I'm not sure if I've improved or not (ie, improving in one area leads to sliding in others).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: