TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Standard' sizes in webcomics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m_estrugo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: 'Standard' sizes in webcomics? Reply with quote

Hey there. I'm back into webcomicking after a long hiatus, so I decided to continue with my long-run strip, called Alice Otter, to warm up and get back into discipline with the purpose of starting new projects that have been waiting on the inkwell for way too long.

The point is, I'm revamping my strip archive. The original size was 730 x 240 pixels, since at the time I started the comic (2001) the most used screen resolution was 800 x 600, and, in spite of what Mr. Scott McCloud said about infinite canvas, I didn't feel comfortable forcing my readers to scroll horizontally on a website.

Anyway, I'm re-scanning and posting the older strips at a newer resolution, 'cause years have passed and, as you could see if you visit my site, I like drawing a lot of details and those would be barely visible if I kept the original size (I also have increased the grayscale palette I was using from 16 to 64 colors, 'cause I'm STILL HD thrifty). The best compromise between size and readability I've found, in my particular screen, is 929 x 300 pixels, to make it fit fine in a 1024 x 768 screen, the absolute minimum I'm considering at the moment. I guess I'll have to rescan in the not-so-distant future, but it's OK for a few more years.

While I've chosen the size of my strip on a rather arbitrary and personal way, I'd like to know what sizes you folks from other webcomics use and why you've chosen that size. Also, just daydreaming, but why not implementing a sort of 'standard sizes' for different kinds of strips? What are the cons and pros you'd consider before 'standarizing' webcomics' widths and heights, pretty much as the IAB did with ad banners in webpages?
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1000 x 531 for my strips (and it's 3 strips per page). No-one complained so far re format, and at least folks who read my stuff don't seem to mind vertical scrolling.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of "standardizing" anything re strip dimensions/comic layout (unless you wanna use a hosting community who asks for standard layout, of course) 'coz what works for one comic doesn't work for others. Guess it's down to your readers to decide if they like how you format your opus....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page size standards are pretty much only relevant to the site they're being displayed on (as opposed to banners, which are to be displayed on a great many sites). So, you just have to keep in mind things like today's average monitor size (discoverable through Google Analytics and such) and your web layout and size things accordingly.
Plan Eleven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size you use is a decent size. I run on 1024 x 768, so when I view your site, everything I need to see is immediately there. I can see the banner, the navigation menu, and at least one row of columns.

Smyzer and Blyde is just barely readable for me, being 1000 pixels wide, I have to scroll over to get the whole thing on my screen, but once its there, it really demands your attention. It's drawn like a printed comic book, so it's something you really want to see up close to take in the details.

For me, I have a very set size for QuickThought since the whole site needs to be kept on one, unscrollable webpage (which works really well on my screen), and Holy Mole, I like to keep two rows on screen, since that's how long the strip normally is.

I would suggest that you put your forward/back navigation above and below your strip because it's polite, and while we're talking about pixels, has everyone seen this little beauty?

joeychips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep it low res. This way, when you come out with a print collection, one of the value added propositions to current online readers is that they will get "Detail Never Seen Before!!!"
zieglarf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post my strip at 954px 324px for a simple reason. That's what it comes out to when I reduce it to 72 DPI.

It fits on my site well enough so I left it at that. Wink

I don't think very many people use 800x600 anymore, but there are a few I'm sure. I think the most common is 1024x768.
Miluette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1024x768 is the lowest resolution you can be considerate to (and what most of my sites look best in). But with the advent of widescreen laptops, there are much larger resolutions that are becoming a common average.

There needs to be a mac version of Pixel Ruler... *_*
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comic is 500x800. I chose that size because it seemed convenient and because I planned to print it out as an ashcan-size print comic at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
My comic is 500x800. I chose that size because it seemed convenient and because I planned to print it out as an ashcan-size print comic at some point.

What's ashcan-size?
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zieglarf wrote:
munkymu wrote:

What's ashcan-size?

8.5" x 5.5". What you get when you fold an 8.5" x 11" page in half.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
zieglarf wrote:
munkymu wrote:

What's ashcan-size?

That's roughly equivalent to A5 in Everywhere-But-America sizes, in case you happen to come from that small corner of the world. Wink
funnyninjas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traitorfish wrote:
munkymu wrote:
zieglarf wrote:
munkymu wrote:

What's ashcan-size?

That's roughly equivalent to A5 in Everywhere-But-America sizes, in case you happen to come from that small corner of the world. Wink

Where?

(And to be somewhat revelant, I think that the size of your comics is a personal choice, as long as it's not some strange setup that A) doen't fit on my monitor (or) B) is hard to follow the sequence of panels.)
Nika

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what the HEIGHT is, but when it comes to WIDTH, it's better to err on the side of caution. I personally find it really annoying to have to scroll both horizontally and vertically.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nika wrote:
I don't care what the HEIGHT is, but when it comes to WIDTH, it's better to err on the side of caution. I personally find it really annoying to have to scroll both horizontally and vertically.

Yeah, I won't read a comic if I have to scroll both horozontally and vertically--and whichever way you make me scroll, there better be navigational buttons THERE! Mad

And while we're talking about pixels, well, screenshotting and using Photoshop's ruler has worked just fine for me. Razz I'm too lazy to use external programs.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate scrolling horizontally *or* vertically! Make it fit on my screen! Which is 1280 x 1024, by the way. Thanks! :D:D

(And no I didn't realize the monitor was a weird 5:4 aspect ratio when I bought it. :o)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: