TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a webcomic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best method will be to simply not bother defining it.

World will (hopefully) spread around the "webcomics community" and they'll, by what they nominate and don't nominate, will decide what a 'webcomic' is. In all honesty, even if we explictly say "Comics like Dilbert ARE eligable" Dilbert is unlikely to reach round 2, as the people voting will be us "insider" types.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooncity wrote:
lots of smart stuff

Yeah, but the whole point of the definition was not for US so much as for the people who will be nominating. It's better we have a definition handy to toss at them should the need arise, rather than discussing it THEN. Making the rules up as we go would make a mockery of the whole awards.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to consider is that being associated with The Webcomic List itself means that there is a List of Webcomics on the site - a pretty long list of almost every comic which is online.

It may look a bit silly if The Webcomic List lists X as a webcomic, but The Webcomic List Awards does not consider it to be so.

The thing is, this is a peer-voted awards, and in all honesty the voters are going to be largely from the center of the webcomics circle. Dilbert, Garfield etc are unlikely to recieve a single vote.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point.

The people who are voting are going to be webcomic makers and, if we're still going with the special exceptions for those that have made a contribution to webcomics in other ways, people like webcomic bloggers, people making software for webcomics, admins on webcomic hosting sites, etc. The likelihood of these people voting for print comics on the web is pretty slim and the likelihood of them getting through to the final judging even slimmer.

Maybe we are putting too much thought into this aspect?

Blog
jdalton
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooncity, it is possible for two people to have an entirely different definition of "webcomic." Don't assume that such a definition is self-evident, because it's not. This isn't kittens and biscuits we're talking here, it's kittens and cats.

I propose the following definition (remember, this is a definition SOLELY for use in these awards): If it is listed on TWCL as a webcomic, it is eligible for a TWCL webcomic award. If it is not listed, it is not eligible.

I've made my case as best I can. I'll let the rest of you decide what to do since these are your awards.

S*P*Q*R
joeychips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article I wrote defining webcomics: Scroll down after the comic to get the definition.
http://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2008/07/mobile-phone-adventures-of-silly-daddy.html

Let me know what you think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum