TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better to have BAD review than no review at all?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read your comic, Zaron, and I saw no reason for anyone to write a bad review. I enjoyed it, and am adding it to my favourites.
Senshuu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of Immer's perspective. Having a bad review just to say "I was reviewed!" wouldn't be so hot, either, really.
B¬——∆–

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be haters. You could be a huge success with absolutely zero advertising or promotion and they'll still hate. I say, let the haters hate. They're just giving you extra promotion. If you've got a sizeable fanbase telling you that they love your shit, who's right, them, or one asshole who tries to diss you? I've got plenty of haters on my ass, and people who dissed me in the past jocking me. It's hilarious! I'm rocking the underground and they're nobody - fuck 'em.
tpiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out

http://comicfencing.com/tag/calamities/

4 reviews: 1/4 stars, 2/4 stars, 2/4 stars, and 2/4 stars. Good times.

Best line: "Itís like current Garfield, only stretched out over nine panels and lacking a punchline."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a bad review can be considered better than no review when you think about the fact that there are something like 12,000 comics listed on this website (granted, I don't know how many are active and have more than, say, 20 updates), so being pulled out of a hat and discovered can't be all that bad.

If it's constructive, that's nice for me and it tells people there's some good there and it may be worth checking out.

If it's savage, well, some people might want to check it out for themselves to see how bad it is. If they don't like it either, no big deal, you weren't going to get them. If they see something they like ... they're on the hook, bring them in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alecho wrote:

Senshuu: True true, but at this point I don't mind any kind of reviews~ hard for amateurs like me to be noticed~!

Well, if you're an amateur and you get a bad review, everyone's going to notice you and really think "amateur". Not good.

Don't mind me though, I've just been thoroughly enlightened by Zaron. Holy crap, man.

((lol Stef, after reading a review of SZ somewhere I was wondering about your "PAST", or more specifically that encounter on SA. I'm not a member there and I don't spend much time browsing their forums, but yeah. They would hate that shit, lol.

Being ironic in general is getting a bit worn out (but America loves ironic douchebag humor, so on it goes! ...:C).))
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaron wrote:
As someone who very rarely got any negative feedback until I got a somewhat famous negative review, let me tell you, an excessively negative review can devastate your reputation. While I don't get it much anymore, for the past two years I've gotten tons of emails and comments from people who have allowed the review to make their opinion of my comic for them.

If it's any consolation... LONG before I joined TWCL... I read your comic. From that review. It was the first time I'd ever seen your comic and I loved it. Though I strongly agreed with said reviewers opinion on some other comics he linked and laughed over the badness, yours was one on that list that I enjoyed. I read through the whole archive, laughed a bit over some things and was actually sad when I hit the end and saw that you'd stopped updating. =( I probably would've become a regular reader--and that was back when I followed NO comics regularly.

I think a bad review when you're starting out can break your comic. People don't give it a chance to grow. But I believe a negative review once you're established with a fanbase can have the potential to grow your comic, opening your eyes to faults in it and bringing it to the attention of more people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: