TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Category: Best Character / Most Interesting Character
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have this category and should it be one or two categories?
No, I don't think we should.
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Yes, one Best Character Award.
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Yes, one Best Male Character Award and one Best Female Character award.
45%
 45%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 40

Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dooky wrote:
But that's assuming it's easier to write characters of your own gender. I'm a man, and I have a comic with an entirely female cast, partly because I'm so bad at creating fully rounded male characters...

Nope, just assuming there's a difference, not assuming anything about what the difference is. BTW, I'm still in favor of just one award. Exactly because the assumed difference is, at the very least, fuzzy.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Oscar analogy: I think the main reason for having two awards there was to make sure the women get some, too. Especially for the "Best lead" category, because that's a male part in mainstream Hollywood, traditionally.

ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for two awards not because I consider male vs. female character writing to be different disciplines, but because I would like this award to be about fun and awesome characters. For example, some people might consider The Terminator to be a really interesting character, even though the movies would never win one of the more serious "best screenplay" type of awards. Some characters are just really cool, and this is a chance to recognize them. So while we're at it, why not two, just for extra fun? Though I admit the point about missing the non-gender or otherly-gender characters is a fair one. Smile

Also, it might be kinda fun, in a presentation kind of way, to give the award to the winning characters, instead of the creators.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice point, Italian, actually the first real good argument I heard in favor of two awards.

If we want two awards, why not one for the graphic side of the character design and one for the writing side, backstory and dialogue characteristics and all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum