TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Category: Comic Genres
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have individual genre awards? (genres to be decided later)
Yes, I think we should.
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
No, I don't think so.
45%
 45%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 37

wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Category: Comic Genres Reply with quote

Edit: The poll is now open. Please read the thread carefully before voting. You have until the evening of Sunday 9th in order to vote.

---------------------------------------------------

This thread is just for discussing whether or not individual genres should be covered in the awards and what genres those would be if they were covered.

I will open a poll based on the options suggested in this thread on Sunday 2nd August between 9 and 10pm GMT and close it around the same time on Sunday 9th August.

Personal note: I feel that it would be a bad idea to include awards for genres because it could push the number of awards to high and put an unfair amount of work on the volunteer judges.

Blog

Last edited by wendyw on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:06 am; edited 2 times in total
dooky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, genre awards are probably a bad idea. And those other ceremonies never have a Historical category anyway.

Oooh, unless we're thinking of having a Historical category. In which case, I heartily approve of genres!

S*P*Q*R
Zaron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily against a few basic genre categories, but from what we've seen in the past, it invites people to beg for more and more categories until you're giving away so many awards it becomes meaningless. I'd prefer to see genres left out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have ten different genres and still miss 25 % of all webcomics while several other may be nominated for two or more genres (especially fantasy and sci fi). Itd be also much more work for the jury.

So I am against genre awards.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say no to the genre categories too. (Despite the fact that back when it existed, the WCCA Sci-Fi award was my one hope of ever getting nominated... oh well... Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I was FOR genre awards, but only the most popular ones. My thought was limiting it to the 5 most popular genres, but then getting agreement on what those are, might prove harder than the idea itself. So, if the trend here continues to be a -no- on this, majority does rule!

www.jynksiecomics.com
http://twitter.com/jynksiecomics
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through the options for what Sunday's polls will be and this is a more complex one than most.

The first poll for this one will be a simple Yes/No question and if people do vote to have genre options we'll then have to work out afterwards what those genres would be.

Is everybody happy with the preliminary Yes/No stage?

Blog
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll is now live.

Blog
jdalton
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote yes. One of the problems with the WCCAs was always that a small number of comics would show up in every award category. Only when they had genre awards did other comics actually had a chance to get in.

They should be big genres, though. So there's not too many of them. Sci-fi and fantasy could be lumped together, for example, or slice-of-life and romance. You could have speculative fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, horror), realistic fiction (slice-of-life, drama, romance, historical), non-fiction (journalism, auto-bio), comedy, geeky (gaming, pop culture based, etc.), and action. That should cover just about everything.

S*P*Q*R
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdalton wrote:
They should be big genres, though. So there's not too many of them. Sci-fi and fantasy could be lumped together, for example, or slice-of-life and romance. You could have speculative fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, horror), realistic fiction (slice-of-life, drama, romance, historical), non-fiction (journalism, auto-bio), comedy, geeky (gaming, pop culture based, etc.), and action. That should cover just about everything.

And, um, if I'm doing science fiction romance with lots of action, my comic is eligible to be nominated for three different categories?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All or nothing.

Genres that could broadly cover 95% of comics, or no genre awards at all. Not just a few genres. All of them, or none of them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's all or nothing then I'd say do nothing. However, does anyone have any idea of a way where we could do some but not none and not all? Senshuu, why do you think it should be all or none? I'm curious.

Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should have genre awards, as, let's face it, a fantasy comic is very different from a slice-of-life comic which is very different from a gamer comic... etc... and it gives more exposure to these types of comics. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For HUGE genres, we could do fiction, comedy, drama, horror and non-fiction/autobiographical. Could even narrow that down to fiction, comedy and non-fiction/autobio.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're already doing Best Story Comic + Best Humour Comic (by some title or other).

Very broad categories will just overlap with those. Narrow categories (i.e. the genres as traditionally defined), and we're going to need to double the number of awards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum