TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Category: Best Story Comic / Best Humour Comic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have these alongside the overall "Best Comic" and what should they be called?
No. Just one award for Best Comic
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Best Humour Comic / Best Story Comic
37%
 37%  [ 12 ]
Funniest Comic / Storytelling Award
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Best gag-a-day / Best longform comic
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Best Use of the gag-a-day format / Best use of the longform format
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 32

wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Category: Best Story Comic / Best Humour Comic Reply with quote

Edit: The poll is open.

Whatever the result there will be a Best Comic award.

In order for the first one to win it would have to have more votes than all of the other options combined, as votes for having two categories would be split between all the other options.

Read through the thread and vote carefully.
You don't get to change your mind.

This thread is just for discussing whether or not the awards should include categories for Best Humour Comic and Best Story Comic and exactly what these awards will be called.

I will open a poll based on the options suggested in this thread on Sunday 2nd August between 9 and 10pm GMT and close it around the same time on Sunday 9th August.

Blog

Last edited by wendyw on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Novil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Category: Best Story Comic / Best Humour Comic Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
This thread is just for discussing whether or not the awards should include categories for Best Humour Comic and Best Story Comic

Yes.

wendyw wrote:
and exactly what these awards will be called.

“Best Humour Comic” OR “Best Comedy Comic”
“Best Story Comic”
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we phrase it so it doesn't say "This is the best comic of this type", but rather "this is the best use of this particular attribute"

i.e. "Funniest Comic" rather than "Best humour comic" and "Storytelling Award" rather than "Best Story Comic". Or something else, the award title doesn't neccessarily have to completely define the category.

This prevents embarrasment if "best comic" isn't one of these two.
Novil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Funniest comic” is not the same as “Best humour comic”. I think XKCD is more funny than Sinfest so I’d nominate it for “Funniest comic”. But I also like the characters of Sinfest and the pretty art, so I would nominate it for “Best humour comic”. (This is just an example, none of these two comics is among my top favorites.)

Calling the category “Funniest comic” would give it a bias towards cartoons compared to classic strips.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote:
“Funniest comic” is not the same as “Best humour comic”. I think XKCD is more funny than Sinfest so I’d nominate it for “Funniest comic”. But I also like the characters of Sinfest and the pretty art, so I would nominate it for “Best humour comic”. (This is just an example, none of these two comics is among my top favorites.)

Calling the category “Funniest comic” would give it a bias towards cartoons compared to classic strips.

My logic would be that those reasons are why Sinfest would be a stronger candidate for "Best Comic" than XKCD, whilst XKCD would be a stronger candidate for "Funniest" than Sinfest. The "funniest" (or whatever it's called) award not being about which comedy comic does the overall comic thing best, it's just which one is the most comedic.

It's the same reason that you'd have the award "Best use of Colour Art" rather than "Best Colour Comic"
Novil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry, but I don’t like that. This way Sinfest has only (!) the chance of winning “Best comic” and that’s obviously the hardest category of them all. It has no chance to win against XKCD for “Most funny” and it has also no chance of winning an art related category since its art is not *that* great. (Having über-fantastic art is not the real point of comedy comics.) Having two categories “Best story” and “Most funny” is a slap in the face of all traditional strip comics.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that in webcomics, the two main styles seem to be "gag-a-day" and "long-form", rather than humour and story. Gag-a-day are written around a punchline or some other way of making it feel complete, and long-form is written with the larger structure of a chapter or story arc as the goal. There is overlap between the two, of course, but there are so many story comics that have humour that I can see confusion with those other categories.

"Funniest Comic", though, would still be a worthy category. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I’d agree to “gag-a-day” and “long-form”, too.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way we could phrase "best gag-a-day" and "best longform" award titles to avoid the implication that one of them should win the best comic award?
Murasakivie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of "Humor award" over Funniest or Best comic. It's not quite so... polarizingly subjective but still sounds like something worth winning. But for longform... I wouldn't know how to word that.

Personally, the idea of dividing it up into strips and traditional comic pages makes a little more sense to me.

Edited due to not quite reading the thread properly...

Lucky Lottery!
Updates every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought: If we're awarding these two awards, best humour, best non-humour, where does that leave 'best writing'?

At the moment I think for 'best humour' I'd go for Basic Instructions, because Scott Meyer writes brilliantly witty and eloquent dialogue. And then for best writing I'd go for the same, for essentially the same reason (I don't read enough non-humour comics to vote in that category, but if I did my 'best writing' pick would have to be one of my picks for these two awards)

If artisitic considerations are only for the Best Art and Best Comic awards, then aren't these two awards essentially flavours of 'best writing', essentially making that award superfluous?
Novil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm? Comic = art + writing (for any kind of comic)

For example, if the 3-2-1 points voting mechanism should be used, I might give 1 point to XKCD for “Best writing”, but I will most like not give it points for “Best gag-a-day” (or whatever this category is called) since I don’t like the stick figures.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
Any way we could phrase "best gag-a-day" and "best longform" award titles to avoid the implication that one of them should win the best comic award?

"Best Use of the Gag-a-day Format" and "Best Use of the Longform Format"?

Cartoonist Training:
DeviantArt account
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canetoonist wrote:
LukeSurl wrote:

I like that, if the "funniest" and "storytelling" awards are to be dismissed.
tweetics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canetoonist wrote:
LukeSurl wrote:

this I like. How about we use a Golden Globes sort of structure?
Best Art Direction-gag a day-thrice weekly
Best Writing-gag-a-day thrice weekly
Best art direction-longform-thrice weekly
etc...

I think update schedule should have something to do with it, unless things are handled like the emmy's where certain comics are submitted for consideration for specific awards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum