TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Categories?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Categories? Reply with quote

So what categories do people think we should have?

So far we're looking at:

Best comic
Best new comic (only x (20) published strips needed for nomination)
Best colour art
Best black and white art
Best writing
Best story comic
Best comedy comic
Best Original Concept
Best World Building

Personally I'm against any genre categories being added, because they bog things down and if you add one genre but not another people will cry foul until we have three hundred different awards each appealing to seven people, four of which are judges.

Okay, I exaggerate, but you get the idea.

Blog
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list looks like a good one, covering pretty much everything without going overboard. We don't really want many more than that; being too ambitious could lead to our downfall. However, I would like to suggest "most improved comic" - judged either from the first posted pages to the most recent, or within a set time frame, such as one year.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Improved is a good one.
I agree with that one.

Blog
Novil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m opposing “Best Original Concept” and “Best World Building” since it’s quite unclear what this is supposed to mean. I would not know any webcomic to nominate for these categories.

The idea of “Most improved” is also not a good idea. It would be very surprising to find even one comic which sucked for five years before miraculously getting much, much better in the last year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like everything proposed so far. For the categories that Novil mentioned, I like those categories, but I understand the point. I would say that if a category doesn't get enough nominations (probably five?), then that category doesn't make it to the judging.

I'd be surprised if a category didn't have enough nominations though, since there are so many webcomics.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if anyone can't think of nominations for a category then they can always ignore that one. That shouldn't be an issue.

Blog
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Best World Building" isn't really neccessary, I think it's sufficiently contained within "Best Story"

"Best Original Concept" needs a little more definition before I can decide wether I like it or not. Are we looking at new ways of using the medium (infinite canvas and all that), or new artistic & literary approaches? Thinking about it, if the category is defined broadly such as "innovation in the webcomic art and/or medium" I could be for it.

Quote:
The idea of “Most improved” is also not a good idea. It would be very surprising to find even one comic which sucked for five years before miraculously getting much, much better in the last year.

I agree. You're not just judging quality now, but also past suckiness, which just seems odd.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote:

Or perhaps a relatively new comic that started up a little over a year ago and during that time has undergone significant improvement? I agree that comics five years old are unlikely to improve significantly in a one-year period in their sixth year, but not all comics will be five year old comics.

Plus, it doesn't necessarily exclude comics which used to suck. It might be that a comic which was fairly average, or even pretty good, has suddenly improved dramatically and gone from good to incredible (perhaps as a result of the creator making it their full time job, taking a drawing or writing class, or being able to devote more time to each page). Improvement doesn't necessarily entail a shit comic becoming average or good; it could be a good comic becoming fantastic.
dooky

I had a category idea which might be a little too nebulous, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway: Best Overlooked Comic. Kind of the opposite of Best New Comic. Some comic that's been going for years and years without much recognition.

My rationale for such an award is this: It seems to me that with webcomic awards, the only opening for unknowns to make a splash is in the "new comic" category. But if you don't get noticed in the first twelve months of your run or however long it is, you're probably never going to be recognised. At least, that's always been my impression.

Might not work at all, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

S*P*Q*R
Nika

I actually like the idea of "Most Improved," because I've seen a lot of webcomic artists who've really matured over the years--both their characters and their styles. No one has to go from "sucking" to "miraculously awesome." I just think it would acknowledge a comic artist/writer's effort to improve, particularly those who aren't professionals.

One suggestion I do have is to have awards acknowledging interesting/funny/well-developed characters. Maybe something like "Best Supporting Character," or "Best Protagonist Development..."

Otherwise, looks good!
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea would be to split "Best Comic" into two categories, "Best Strip Comic" and "Best Full-page Comic" (or some better names than that), since those seem to be the two standard camps of webcomics.

FWIW, I do think the there is a fair bit of difference in the creative approach to both types of comic format, but I recognize that the only real purpose of splitting the top award would be the opportunity to give out another award and call attention to another webcomic (which is the whole point of this exercise-- to bring more attention to the webcomic world in general, right?).
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with splitting the Best Comic category to reflect the fact that long and short form comics are separate disciplines with different skills needed to succeed in them.

I also like the idea of Most Improved Comic and if we can decide on a definition for Best Overlooked Comic then that sounds like a good one, too. I'm all for recognising the hard work of the people who get overlooked but persevere nevertheless, because they're the comics that are often the really good slow burners.

LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever ones chosen, I would strongly suggest not having more than 10 catagories in total, and even that's quite a lot. It's very easy to have a sprawl as we try to cover every virtue involved in creating webcomics, but this makes (a) organisation more difficult (b) each individual award less prestigious.

That in mind, some thoughts on a minimalist theme.

"Best writing" and "Best Story" sufficiently cover the territory that is covered by "Best character development" or anything similar. If short-form comics have their own award (which would encompass most humour comics and cartoons) then Writing & Story could be mixed into "Best Long-form"

I also strongly dissaude splitting the "Best Comic" award on any lines, it is the one award that will be the most sought after, kinda like the Oscar's "Best Film"

Regardless of what categories are chosen, there are always going to be some comics which fall into the grey areas. Their catagorisation will have to be decided by their creator / the organisers / the judges.

"Most overlooked", by definition, would be tricky to do by public or peer voting. It could probably be covered by a special jury/committe-only prize designed for such a purpose.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
"Most overlooked", by definition, would be tricky to do by public or peer voting. It could probably be covered by a special jury/committe-only prize designed for such a purpose.

Or, whatever number make the list, when it gets to voting, state that if you wish to vote, give each of the three (five? seven) nominees a read and choose which of those is best.

Like you would for all the other nominations.

Because that's what voters would do if they took this seriously, yes? At least... to my mind we would Smile
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
Regardless of what categories are chosen, there are always going to be some comics which fall into the grey areas. Their catagorisation will have to be decided by their creator / the organisers / the judges.

I like the idea that in the event of a categorization problem-- such as a one- colour comic, is it colour or black and white?-- you just ask the creator which category s/he thinks her/his comic belongs in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum