TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who can nominate comics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Who can nominate comics? Reply with quote

This is probably the first thing we need to make a decision on, so that when it comes round to registration time we're ready for it.

My own personal opinion is that it should be anyone that fits into either of the following three categories:

1) Anyone involved in making a comic that has updated for at least six months and has at least 30 strips or pages in it's archive. Not all these pages need to have been posted in the last six months, but there must be signs of activity within these six months.

2) Anyone involved in making a comic that has updated for less than six months or does not have enough strips or pages, but have previously worked on another comic that would have fit the criteria of point one at the time it was discontinued.

3) Members of TWCL community who do not meet the criteria for points one and two, but who have been an active member here for at least one year and have at least 200 posts to their name.

I'll put in a poll later, but not until there's been more discussion on the subject. So who wants to start?

Blog
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with these eligibility criteria except for the part in 1) referring to "there must be signs of activity within these six months". I don't want to go all legalese here but "signs of activity" is very nebulous and this can lead to problems.

For example, quite often a comic on Keenspace can go for months with only an irregular news blog update saying something akin to "the next comic will be ready soon!". Does this count as a 'sign of activity'? How about a filler strip saying the same thing? Does one splash panel of the forthcoming strip posted five months after the last comic count?

I did pretty much all three of those at some point during the course of restarting The Life of Nob T. Mouse but I'd never for the life of me suggest they counted as 'signs of activity' during its eight-year haiatus. When I started actually putting comics out regularly again, then and only then were there real signs of activity.

wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wording will need some work.

How about:

"Not all these pages need to have been posted in the last six months, but there must be a minimum of one page, not including filler images or splash pages, per month over the last six months."

Blog
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me.

funnyninjas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can nominate comics? Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
2) Anyone involved in making a comic that has updated for less than six months or does not have enough strips or pages, but have previously worked on another comic that would have fit the criteria of point one at the time it was discontinued.

Questions:

• When would this other comic have had to been discontinued by (after 2008)?
  • Would the discontinued comic have to have been running for six months/had thirty pages, or could it be a combined time/number of pages: the current comic + the previous comic = six months/thirty pages?
  • Would this other comic have had to been a sole effort, assuming that they are not working with the same person anymore?

I like all the rules, this one just seemed like it could be exploited a little.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can nominate comics? Reply with quote

Good questions.

Quote:
When would this other comic have had to been discontinued by (after 2008)?

I say make it within the year covered by the awards. So for the first lot next February (probably), which will cover 2009 the last page or strip of the comic would have to have been posted in 2009.

Quote:
Would the discontinued comic have to have been running for six months/had thirty pages, or could it be a combined time/number of pages: the current comic + the previous comic = six months/thirty pages?

The discontinued comic would have to make up the numbers on it's own.

Quote:
Would this other comic have had to been a sole effort, assuming that they are not working with the same person anymore?

Collaborative comics should count, the same way that they should count when it comes to current comics, but if someone were to have left a comic which continued after them we'd only count the time they left as the time the comic ended in their case.

Blog
Novil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím not too happy with the TWCL clause but I could live with it. I donít really get why someone who currently has no active webcomic and is not involved in the organisation of the award should be able to vote only because he is a casual forum poster.

How many people would actually profit from that? More than 5? Is it then worth to include a rule which could lead to raised eyebrows by people not affiliated with TWCL?
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote:
Iím not too happy with the TWCL clause but I could live with it. I donít really get why someone who currently has no active webcomic and is not involved in the organisation of the award should be able to vote only because he is a casual forum poster.

How many people would actually profit from that? More than 5? Is it then worth to include a rule which could lead to raised eyebrows by people not affiliated with TWCL?

I agree with Novil. It doesn't seem necessary and could be very harmful.

How about simply "Any person whose comic qualifies for nomination is eligable to vote"

It's simple, and could also make things technically simpler when registering voters/candidates. We could chuck in an "exceptional circumstances will be considered by the organisers on a case-by-case basis..." clause to cover the probably fairly small number of people who have a complicated discontinued comic statuses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's so that people like Casual Notice, Chilari, OpperNar, eSJay, tratiorfish, Murdagh (?), can vote. [There are probably more people, I just tried to pick high posters]

EDIT
LukeSurl wrote:
It's simple, and could also make things technically simpler when registering voters/candidates. We could chuck in an "exceptional circumstances will be considered by the organisers on a case-by-case basis..." clause to cover the probably fairly small number of people who have a complicated discontinued comic statuses.

Yeah that would probably work for these people. Thoughts?
Novil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that some people do not really understand the implications of TWCL specific rules. While itís a very nice community, most webcomic creators and readers donít bother at all about it. In the eyes of many of those people the value of an award diminishes if itís seen as a website specific award.

Just compare it to the Oscars: How would you feel if there was an extra rule that says that Warner Bros. has extra seats in the jury because xyz?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody put time into planning the whole thing, and organizing it, on these boards, I don't think that the people viewing would care. I mean, not many people would see "Oh, that comic was nominated by person x, and person x doesn't even have a comic!" I just don't think that many people would take the time to look stuff like that up.

And, this depends on the nomination process. If who nominated who isn't posted publicly, then nobody would care if person x nominated somebody. Nobody would know.
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it prevents any arguments, I'm not too bothered about voting, personally. I just like being involved in things. If it's going to cause trouble or make this look insular or unprofessional, then I'm sure we can be involved in other ways without actually voting, if we don't actually qualify. But the exceptional circumstances clause could work, since it would cover non-TWCL-ers who, for example, used to have a long-running comic but haven't comicked for a while.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm still for active members of the community being included as it is being run by TWCL, but my decision on this isn't final.

Next weekend I'll put it to the vote and a week from then at around the same time I'll close the poll. This gives people two weeks to argue the case either way. Whether or members of this forum can get special exception will be decided by that poll and I will go with whatever the results say.

Blog
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Novil on this one. I wasn't thinking you'd use the exception to allow TWCL forum users otherwise excluded to enter, I was thinking more if someone had done 15 issues with comic X and 20 issues with comic Y or something complicated.

If it's a peer-voting system then the qualification for voting is to be a person who currently makes comics, not be a person who currently makes comics or has friends in the right places.

What we could do is would be to open voting to anyone who has ever produced a webcomic that would be eligable.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All opinons rescinded due to lack of interest.

Last edited by Casual Notice on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum