TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWCL Award committee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutch
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooncity wrote:
I'm involved with the Beakies, so I guess I'd better recuse myself from Judgeship as well. But I can cheer from the sidelines!

You make it sound like I should know what there are! Smile

I probably should, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help out with press, articles, posting things, drumming up support, etc. Don't think I'm qualified to judge, and I'm not sure what other capacities are needed.

Oh yes. I can drawz. Let me know if I'm needed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the highly unlikely chance you'll need me, I can help with a minimum of a few hours of week with whatever (i.e. marginal site design, drawing, spamming Wink)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do stuff. I just don't exactly know what stuff yet. So, I'll help, with whatever. Mr. Green

EDIT: Okay, so I wasn't very specific, and I should have been.
What I cannot do:
  1. I'm bad at drawing, no point in lying. We have enough good artists here, so that should be covered.
  2. I have never coded anything. The most I've done is tweaked a Tumblr page so the background/header/links were different. It was really easy, and was ... html? I have no idea.
What I can do:
  1. I could draft final rules, edit things for errors, proofread.
  2. I could write e-mails to "popular" people, if you'd like. There's a few I've gotten repsonses from, as a fan, so that's do-able.
  3. I can argue on the forum about things. Wink

Last edited by funnyninjas on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kallisti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could do a few different "tiers", like they do with costume contests - that way the high-functioning hobbyists and independent artists can still get credit for their hard work without Penny Arcade, XKCD, and Girl Genius taking every single award.

If you guys don't go the super-big-name judge route, I'm more than happy to serve as a judge. I've got a critical eye for many aspects of webcomics, from font and line composition to site design and user connectivity.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm rubbish at anything related to coding but I've been reading comics (all genres) for 20 years...Am available for 3-4 hours a week, so if there's something I can do to help you guys...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to help out in any way thats useful!

www.jynksiecomics.com
http://twitter.com/jynksiecomics
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well it seems everyone who's going to post here has done. The current list stands at:

Me (proof reading, some drawing)
Wendy (general managing)
Gregori (whatever capacity)
mooncity (cheering from the sidelines)
Luke (drawing; coding, perhaps and upcoming splash page; knowing names)
Zoe (web page design, but not the coding side)
Oppy (any way needed)
Kez (press, articles and support)
Pzero (site design, drawing)
Funnyninjas (writing things, proofreading, emailing people)
Kallisti (judge)
jaygeefisher (anything to help)
jynksie (any way that's useful)

Others have posted in this thread but haven't specifically said "I can help"; if you want to, please let us know.

Those who have said pretty vague and unspecific stuff, can any of you code? That seems to be the main thing we're lacking that I can notice at the moment (I know Luke said he can, but he also said it depends on if he gets a job, any anyway shared workload makes things easier, right?)

Once we've got the name of the awards sorted, we'll need a logo. Would anyone like to volunteer for that?

Also, Wendy has volunteered to be a sort of general manager. Does anyone have objections to this? Or suggestions for a cool-sounding job title for her? (I quite like the sound of "co-ordinator") In fact, job titles for all would be a fun thing to come up with, as long as it doesn't produce arguments. Anyone want to call a job title for themselves?
funnyninjas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Awards Admin for Wendy (or whoever else would fit the title). Very Happy
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have accidentally overstated my coding ability; essentially I have the experience of creating my website (see below) from the comicpress template, as well as a little basic HTML that probably everyone knows.

I would not know how to make an online voting system.

I'm guessing that in the end nominations/voting will have to be done by email (with verification of the source being that the sender's email matches the email address quoted on people's webcomic pages) and will have to be counted manually. With several hundred voters (or more), that's going to require quite a few man-hours of work there. I'm prepared to do that, but I think we'd need a few people.

Also, Wendy seems like a good general manager to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can code... to an extent. I built my site from scratch, anyway. But there is a very broad spectrum of stuff that I don't know how to do, so you might be better looking for someone more experienced...

S*P*Q*R
Novil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think voting by e-mail is more practical for the first try. Coding a web form for a limited audience would take quite some time. And you would still have to count the votes manually since the names of the webcomics have to be entered in a text field. You canít make any sort of preselection since there are thousands of active webcomics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the note of counting votes, which is the most likely option for the voting, who would be up for it? That's probably the most time-consuming thing, but everybody could do it, if they had time.

I would be up for counting votes, mostly on random, non-busy days.
Murasakivie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can offer the services of my husband to code a voting system if everyone else falls through. He taught himself PHP in the matter of a couple of weeks, and he loves finding coding projects to busy himself with. And I'm sure he could come up with a system that works. That is, if he's also okay with me pimping him out without his permission...

Lucky Lottery!
Updates every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
MiloTheCloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of planning my wedding, but if there's a need for drawing of anything in particular, or designing of buttons or something like that, I'm sure I can find a few moments to rub together at some point. Can't promise that I'll always be checking the board though, so pm me if you need something.

Also, I'd second the notion of tiers. Seeing as how I have little to no following, I can't imagine I'd be nominated for anything, and even if I was, going up against PvP or other such famous strips sounds like a bit of silly. Not that I don't think some of mine can stand up to some of theirs, but they have years on me in terms of refining their craft. So...yeah...tiers sounds like a bit of alright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum