TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWCL Award committee
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: TWCL Award committee Reply with quote

So, who wants to get involved in organising this, and to what degree? Once we know who's involved and how much time they can dedicate, we can go from there with a better idea of what we can realistically aim for. Please also give us an idea of what kind of skills you have.

I guess I'll start by saying I wanna get involved, and I can put in two or three hours a week. As for skills (my least favourite part of job applications, because self-assessment is tricky), I guess I'm good at organising stuff. Um, if anything relating to ancient Greece pops up, I've got that covered. I could draw stuff if necessary. I'm no good at coding, but I'm a bit of a stickler for spelling and grammar, so I'd be happy to help with proof-reading press releases or site content etc.

Last edited by Chilari on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in as well of course.

I won't be judging. There's better candidates than me for that, but I'm more than happy to act as a sort of general manager for the awards. I have the most free time out of the Webcomic List admins, so I think that makes sense if nobody has any objection.

Blog
Gregori
VVVVRVVVVVRG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind being involved, in whatever capacity necessary
is awesome cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm involved with the Beakies, so I guess I'd better recuse myself from Judgeship as well. But I can cheer from the sidelines!

The comic strip that never was.
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have some free time over the next few weeks, so I can put some work in towards this at an early stage - perhaps creating an "upcoming" splash page. I have middling technical skill (HTML, CSS and PHP learned from messing around with comicpress). Can't be so sure how much time I'll have after I find employment, but at the current rate that's not going to be a problem for a while.

I can draw stuff, I'll let others be the judge of how good I am at that.

I also have a couple of friends who are professional manga artists, I may be able to see if they, or their contacts, could be on a jury (it might be nice to have one or two 'outsiders')
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome Luke. Smile

Blog
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All opinons rescinded due to lack of interest.

Last edited by Casual Notice on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to be involved with this. I can probably spare about 2-3 hours a week given everything else I'm doing right now. My coding skills are a little behind the times (but if you want anything coded in BASIC or FORTRAN, I'm there! Good grief, that makes me sound old) but I'm told I'm rather good with designing the look and feel of websites, just not actually coding them in a way that loads fast or, y'know, works. I'm also more than happy to draft press releases, write content or whatever.

jpcline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
I would suggest a format similar to that used on the Tonys and the Oscars: Nominations are open to anyone even remotely related to webcomics. A comic has to receive five nominations to even be considered. The nominations committee (panel of judges) narrows that to 5 finalists. Those 5 finalists are subjected to a vote by registered members of the TWCL forum (whohave to have accounts before date x to prevent slamming).

sounds like a good plan
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
I would suggest a format similar to that used on the Tonys and the Oscars: Nominations are open to anyone even remotely related to webcomics. A comic has to receive five nominations to even be considered. The nominations committee (panel of judges) narrows that to 5 finalists. Those 5 finalists are subjected to a vote by registered members of the TWCL forum (whohave to have accounts before date x to prevent slamming).

I don't like the idea of the TWCL forum being the ultimate judging panel. The TWCL forum community is largely a collection of about 100ish small-to-mid-sized comics. It seems too insular to appoint ourselves as the highest authorities of such a competition.

But regardless...

Is this the best thread, or the best time, to discuss format? I think we should get the organising group together first and then that can figure out how things proceed.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you like to have "outsider" judges? I can think of a few qualified people I could ask, depending on the time commitment involved. Chris Butcher (manages The Beguiling, runs the Toronto Comic Arts Festival AKA TCAF, writes this blog), for example, would be an awesome choice for a judge, I think.

You'd only be judging the past year's work, right? You wouldn't be asking judges to delve through seven years worth of archive, times the number of nominees. Because, yikes.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
Is this the best thread, or the best time, to discuss format? I think we should get the organising group together first and then that can figure out how things proceed.

You're right; this is really just the signing up thread for getting involved. We should discuss this stuff in the main thread that's already there.
oppernaR
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should be able to help out, in any way needed.
I've been involved in webcomics since before time began (if TWCL can be trusted on this) and have read a lot of them.. like.. a LOT Rolling Eyes
That and the fact that my excuses for a webcomic or two are disqualified anyway (two on permanent hiatus and one hardly updating) should be enough to make sure I can at least provide some assistance.

I have to agree with some points mentioned though; an all TWCL panel would not only be a poor representation of the entire webcomic community, it would also undermine the credibility of the entire award.
And let's be honest, bringing people in from outside (bigger fish? perhaps cewebleties with no link to webcomics?) would also mean free promotion *cough* .. I mean.. yes, free promotion of thewebcomiclist _

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All opinons rescinded due to lack of interest.

Last edited by Casual Notice on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have:
  • Chilari
  • wendyw
  • Gregori
  • LukeSurl
  • Zoe Robinson
  • oppernaR
I'm sure this will expand over the next week. (I also wasn't sure wether a few of you commenting above were throwing your hats in the ring or not)
Btw, I support wendy being the "general manager" as she says above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum