TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you measure your readership?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miluette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comicrank.
It's the only non-mind-numbing way I can even consider it right now.

Comicrank.com wrote:
To be classed as a reader your viewers must visit your site at least once every 9 days.

Interesting, huh?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comicrank as well, because it's usually a blend of all my other stat following devices.

Though honestly, I tend to associate people who comment with my reader count - which is kinda funny b/c let's face it, only a fraction of people reading comment. XD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you measure your readership?

By height.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusing thing about Comicrank is how and when its stats fluctuate. But it's still pretty accurate put up against my other stats and considering my update methods.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two ways! I look at ComicRank, which says around 160 readers--I go with this because I know that the readers who return every update are less than the ones likely to let a small buffer build and come back. I also go with Google Analatics and look at the readers who've returned more than once that month, and I apparently had a few hundred who've returned more than 50 times over the last month. Smile
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe their site just went down for a day, thus not counting any visitors during that downtime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CR does a decent job actually. It's hard to do on your own, because there's no way to really count people who directly access your site without using a rss feed or some other trackable metric. There's no way to separate them.

I think the variations have to do with influxes of new readers, if they don't stay, you get variations. So when I put out PW ads, my readership bumps a bit then takes a dive when a percentage doesn't come back.

But I use that for now. You figure you have readers in this way

- RSS feed (if you have one, and you should)
- Direct access (bookmark, type in URL)
- Email (if you have this, and you should)
- Visits from search engines
- Visits from other referrals

It's really hard to try and put that all together on your own.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many people care about email/mailing lists anymore (at least for comics), especially with RSS growing in popularity. I mean... Really Simple Syndication! You don't even have to sign up for it, it's that simple.

Also, Dooky, that happens on the site every week or so actually. It's weird, but there's a good % of readers who'll probably be counted off regularly because they haven't made a return visit yet. The numbers are easily recovered.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have around 30 email subs. Not everyone likes or understands RSS. That's 30 readers I most likely would have lost had they not had the email option.

Out of sight, out of mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dooky wrote:
Wow, Comicrank just gets odder. A glance at the list right now shows that nearly every comic has lost a big percentage of readers in the last week. Investigating further, it looks as if every comic's readership took a big hit between Thursday and Friday. Either they've revised the formula for calculating readers without telling anyone, or there's a bug afoot.

Strangely enough, I now find myself ranked higher on there than I was before, despite seemingly losing 10% of my readers... because other comics have lost even more.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I went from 500 to 470 or so (back up a bit now) but rose 5 places in the ranking. My competitive brain is happy! My likes-round-numbers brain is sad. I'm calling it a draw. Smile I figured they were revising their formula. It's happened before, though not so dramatically....

To stay vaguely on topic -- I use CR mostly, but I also look a lot at my PW numbers, my Analytics numbers, and my Feedburner stats. It's all playing with numbers really (see the "when are you a success?" thread), but it makes me happy seeing that more people are reading.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh, Feedburner = email option?

Oh yeah, I remember now. Now if only Feedburner would actually update my feeds. :C That's the one reason I haven't switched all my links to feedburner yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Webcomics tend to see a steady drop in readers over the summer months, picking up again in september.

...Really? Looking at my own stats, they've more than tripled since May. Odd.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with comic rank as well now that I've managed to cross back into the top 300 here (I was 299 the other day WOO HOO!!)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xwhy wrote:
I'll go with comic rank as well now that I've managed to cross back into the top 300 here (I was 299 the other day WOO HOO!!)

Okay, nevermind. Didn't read entire thread. I thought you were talking about the TWCL comic rank, not a separate service. Oopsie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marooned wrote:
Yeah, I have around 30 email subs. Not everyone likes or understands RSS. That's 30 readers I most likely would have lost had they not had the email option.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I also have 22 subscribers by email. I try to send them something extra, though, not only the strip. Some of the email subscribers are low tech or have dial-up but some are quite tech-savvy.

Some of them do not read webcomics at all except for mine (I know, I'm related to them)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: