TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool Way to Promote
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRALLT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Cool Way to Promote Reply with quote

Ive recently discovered a free, easy, and hit-gaining way of getting more readers...Craigslist! On Craigslist, there is a "forum" area where you can post pretty much any arts related stuff in the "arts" section. Ive been getting some hits this way. The forum goes across all states, too (unlike the region-specific arts posting area). Make sure you post in the arts category in the FORUM otherwise youll just be targeting a certain town. (Though the region-spefic arts posting area may work to your advantage if your comic is set in a real location, i.e. New York City.)

The only downfall is for the FORUM it takes seven days before you can post, due to spam security.
Let me know if you gain an readers (or creepy Craigslist stalkers/molesters) this way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cool Way to Promote Reply with quote

HHAHAH,, yeah, this is a cool free way.. i git a couple of curiohso's.. but that was cool..hahahaha
MoonFreight3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, clever idea. I'm gonna have to give this a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't help but to think that it may attract the wrong crowd, at least for a site like mine. But I can see how such a high traffic site could send in some page views.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah I got a couple weirdos....but it makes it all the more interesting.
Miluette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meggyc wrote:
I just can't help but to think that it may attract the wrong crowd, at least for a site like mine. But I can see how such a high traffic site could send in some page views.

This is why I haven't tried it. Craigslist is WEIRD. My comics are WEIRD, too, but in a different way.

It'd be kind of like throwing my link to wolverines.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the creepiness factor associated with craigslist makes me want to balk- but what if you find some non-typical webcomic readers on there to start following your site? It could be a completely fresh area for readership gain, avoiding the usual incestuousness of the typical comic fan pool.

I'm a total whore for readers, so I'll probably get up the courage to try this at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I dunno, though. Perhaps I get enough hits from crazy fetishists as it is...

S*P*Q*R
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful, OK?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A primer on Craigslist...

Dave

Also be sure to read ttallan's
photobyjt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: watch out for spamers Reply with quote

I use CL to advertise for my photography. I also use it to advertise my graphic art skills and my sons illustrations/comics. I got two photo jobs in the beginning (Feb 09) and lots of inquiries. Most of the time, people are looking for cheap work. I guess my site scares off the bargain hunters. I don't think I look that expensive!

What I do get a lot of are 'scrappers' they scrap your e-mail and send all sorts of spam! eeeeww! The worst I got was an anonymous e-mail that said "are you serious?"

Haven't tried the Forum. I'll give it a try!

I will add that I link where ever I can. My high school reunion is coming up so I linked on my HS reunion page! Facebook too!

http://photobyjt.com/vanefield.aspx

http://photobyjt.com/comics.aspx
Nika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha comment whores unite! I could definitely use some feedback...thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool Way to Promote Reply with quote

TRALLT wrote:
Ive recently discovered a free, easy, and hit-gaining way of getting more readers...Craigslist! On Craigslist, there is a "forum" area where you can post pretty much any arts related stuff in the "arts" section. Ive been getting some hits this way. The forum goes across all states, too (unlike the region-specific arts posting area). Make sure you post in the arts category in the FORUM otherwise youll just be targeting a certain town. (Though the region-spefic arts posting area may work to your advantage if your comic is set in a real location, i.e. New York City.)

The only downfall is for the FORUM it takes seven days before you can post, due to spam security.
Let me know if you gain an readers (or creepy Craigslist stalkers/molesters) this way.

I see one webcomic posted there already: Tweetics.

Since you brought it up, how has Craigslist worked out for you hits wise? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL!

Dee

It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php
Midtoon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Craigslist is huge.

As any other community of its size, particularly one that has a section for personal ads, it has its share of "creepiness" and Spam (regretably not the canned variety, because I'd love some fried Spam right now Wink ).

Don't forget, though, that as a major site, in addition to have its share of creepiness, it will also have lots of "uncreepiness" (let's say, mainstream content)

Now, I don't know how effective it may be as a means to advertise a comic strip, but I would not let the creepiness factor scare me. As webcommickers, we are all in the public view anyway, so I must assume that you have some , uh, resiliency when it comes to the nature of people that visit your site and have ways of blocking undesirables.

For those who are doing that, I'd be interested in knowing what type of results you are getting.
tweetics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just submitted my liks in this morning, so I am going to be interested to see where it goes as far as return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: