TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egypturnash wrote:
Also omfg check out this symbolic swears font I just found while googling for images of Asterix swears. Although if I was gonna do symbols I would totally draw them my own @#$%^ self.

Yeah, that particular font would feel like cheating to me.

Blog
Eastman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling with the swearing issue myself on one of my projects. It's a tough call, as having (or not having) cussing can change the tone of the story in some very unintended ways. And you don't really get to put the genie back in the bottle once you go down that path -- nor can you let the genie out after getting too far along in the story, less you mislead the reader as to what kind of story they're reading. (Everyone hates that...)

Sometimes a story is kinda in a gray middle ground... something that's avoided like the plague in the movie biz, as that territory has proven financially foolish over the years. Most of the time it's obvious how far to go with the language, but not always.

Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
I prefer to be honest in my comic. Nudity, swears, and violence all have a place if they are relevant to the story and fitting to the natural reactions of the character.

As fair as it may be to say that you're only putting in such content as it would honestly fit, you still ought to consider what the audience wants.
Many people don't want to expose themselves to such content, plain and simple. When you introduce coarse language, you lose audience. When you introduce violence, you lose audience. Nudity especially can lose you audience.
Oh sure, there are some people who may deliberately read a comic for having such content, but especially on the internet, those numbers won't redeem your losses. They can just as easily grab free content that delivers far more of that nature of entertainment, so how much do you expect them to be drawn in by what you can offer?
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd ever read my comic, you wouldn't make that comment.

There is a large grey area between Father Knows Best and Naked Douchebags Who Swear While Violating Every Moral Truth Ever (An HBO Original Series starring that guy who was in the thing and that woman who used to be kinda pretty).

(link is to the first comic. Click the archive link at the bottom of the page to jump around, or just use the navi buttons to follow the comic. The art sucks, especially early on.)
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
Casual Notice wrote:
I prefer to be honest in my comic. Nudity, swears, and violence all have a place if they are relevant to the story and fitting to the natural reactions of the character.

As fair as it may be to say that you're only putting in such content as it would honestly fit, you still ought to consider what the audience wants.
Many people don't want to expose themselves to such content, plain and simple. When you introduce coarse language, you lose audience. When you introduce violence, you lose audience. Nudity especially can lose you audience.
Oh sure, there are some people who may deliberately read a comic for having such content, but especially on the internet, those numbers won't redeem your losses. They can just as easily grab free content that delivers far more of that nature of entertainment, so how much do you expect them to be drawn in by what you can offer?

While I agree with you, I think it comes down to how much the creator wants to cater to the audience. The writer can make the call on whether those elements are worth losing those audience members.

In my comic, I decided to go with swearing, and I made that decision mostly because a) my comic's going to eventually get violent, so it's already for a mature audience; and b) I felt like it. The more I look at it, the happier I am that I decided to go with swearing. Hopefully the harsh language will scare away little kids who shouldn't be reading my stuff before the violence starts. (I think my comic will be fairly tame overall, but certain scenes will pick things up quite a bit.)

I could tone down the violence later and keep everything sort of cartoony, and I could have gone without swearing. But that actually drastically changes how the story plays out, since those have psychological effects on the characters. I know the story I want to tell; a certain audience will read it. It's important for me to get the story right, since I'm really writing this story for my own satisfaction. Other people may want to cater to their audiences more, but I don't mind picking a niche and letting people pass if they don't like it.

And it could be that you never even notice the difference in the audience drop. There are plenty of media out there that have violence, swearing, nudity, etc. that do well. A quick anime example is Neon Genesis Evangelion, which has extreme violence and swearing but is very popular (and some mature sexual scenes I think? I can't remember). I don't think it would have quite the same effect if those elements were toned down.

If you're just putting in violence, swearing, etc. just for the heck of it, you may want to reconsider. I've always felt that everything has to earn its place: every word, panel, scene, character, etc. It really is something you have to think about on an individual basis.
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally not much impressed with crude and profane language, and prefer to avoid it. But I won't make it a rule that I can't say word x or word y. I consider that... well, silly. Word are a tools of communication. If for some reason that word is the right one to convey what I want to say, then I will use that word. Usually, however, those kinds of words aren't all that useful for what I'm trying to achieve.

For Black Flag, which is about space pirates, I ended up choosing to go with a mix of mild and invented expletives. I thought that conveyed the feel I wanted.

My other project, Scent of Spring, is very well mannered, and the subject didn't arise.

In Compelled, that script I posted a sample of, they swear in latin. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Mexican comic scene (and most of entertainment actually), it is almost a rule that you must have profanity or swearing of some kind. Profanity is funny.
When I started my comic I firmly decided it will be PG-13, so the most expletive I'll get is to the "What the Hell!" and "Damn!" expressions.
This of course is a total challenge because
a) I might be lost in a market with stronger themes and language and
b) My characters are young people, and you kind of expect them to use a more colloquial language.
I have kind of solved b) by using modisms and mannerisms from the Spanish language
Then comes the separate problem of translating those for the English version but anyway.
So, my two cents on this thread
Cheers from the Hippo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hipopotamo wrote:
Profanity is funny.

I've only seen two or three occasions that were actually funny because they used profanity. However, I have seen dozens of occasions that were substantially funnier because they avoided profanity.

Douglas Adams wrote a bit about the most gratuitous use of the word f*** in one of his hitchhiker novels. For American audiences, he re-wrote it to be about a fictitious swear word, and gave a large and extended scene about the public use of swear words in the galaxy. It was WORLDS funnier than what he originally wrote.
Ever hear Adam Sandler's song about a POS car? Don't bother with the uncensored version. The censored version covers up his profane words with random car sound effects, and it makes it so much funnier.

The key to humor is surprise. When you throw out a swear word, it is funny ONCE. The few times when something was actually funny because they were swearing were situations where they only swore once. It made it unexpected.
You can't just keep saying it and it stays funny each time. It kills the joke.
But some creative replacement-swears can keep the audience amused.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone said, "The key to humor (comedy/laughs) isó" I'd be a very rich man indeed. The fact is, there is no single key to humor, any more than there is a single key to happiness, success, or the love of a good woman.

As for worrying about my audience's feelings, it occurs to me that the most tragic stories of solid work gone bad happened because someone quit doing what felt right to the work and started trying to make the audience happy. So, basically, if you're telling me I need to be false to my story and my characters because someone might get their panties in a twist because Scot said, "Holy Crap!" instead of "Holy $#!+," then, thanks, I'll pass. Those people aren't my target audience, anyway.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
So, basically, if you're telling me I need to be false to my story and my characters because someone might get their panties in a twist because Scot said, "Holy Crap!" instead of "Holy $#!+," then, thanks, I'll pass. Those people aren't my target audience, anyway.

If you're doing what you love, what you think feels right... it shows.

If you're putting on a show to try get big numbers, it... also shows.

I'd rather have a book in my hands that I love, that maybe 20 other people love, than something I hate that's ragingly popular. I can go pick up Twilight if I want to hold something ragingly popular in my hands that I hate... I don't have to write it myself.

Though I do strongly feel that the impact of a word decreases the more you use it, so language should be used sparingly and precisely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Times New Roman!!!! Reply with quote

Its bad paneling and fonts for me. Nothing worse than times new roman with cut off faces in panels. Or when someone has a billion panels to covey a joke or point when all that could be needed is three. Stuff like that.

--------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Page 55 of 55

Jump to: