TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meggyc wrote:
So why not mix the two?
Avatar Legend of Aang comes to my mind. Yes, combination of nice things always results in nicer things. Unfortunately, is not always the case. There are so many anime cliché stuff that some artists are even recommending that you can't draw manga if you want to do a quality stuff... WTF?. It's like they're saying: "Manga is for lame artists" and I'm not agree with that. All of this is caused by the over utilization of japanese style this days.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thinks that I find personally annoying in webcomics:

- I don't like mangas very much, but I dislike the western imitation of manga-style even more,

- children as characters,

- overuse of digital effects, especially if I have the feeling they shall distract from weak drawings,

- foul language as standard,

- stories about daily life in school or actual teenage life.

- humor based primaly on splatter-effects,

- obvious imitations of popular characters (for example peanuts, etc.). I do appreciate it if used as parody or reference, though.

(To prevent misunderstandings, this are just things that turn me off personally. It do not say that comics are bad because I do not like these things.)

Edit: Corrected the mistake in the first sentence. I really dislike the imitated euro/american mangas even more then the original ones.

Last edited by Uncle Greedy on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fillers... Rolling Eyes

Like really, for exemple author just pops and says 'I was too lazy to make a new page, so here's another filler.'

Seen it before. >.>
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newlyweds or the like who are so charmed by their new life and possibly impending child that they decide it must be documented for all in an insufferably smug slice-of-life webcomic. It's all new to them so they think it's a fantastically original and entertaining voyage that must be shared (I guess), but unfortunately they're always pretty much exactly the same (and insufferably smug).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Greedy wrote:
Some thinks that I find personally annoying in webcomics:

- I don't like mangas very much, but I dislike the western imitation of manga-style even less,

- children as characters,

- overuse of digital effects, especially if I have the feeling they shall distract from weak drawings,

- foul language as standard,

- stories about daily life in school or actual teenage life.

- humor based primaly on splatter-effects,

- obvious imitations of popular characters (for example peanuts, etc.). I do appreciate it if used as parody or reference, though.

(To prevent misunderstandings, this are just things that turn me off personally. It do not say that comics are bad because I do not like these things.)

Add to that, comics done using Poser, etc. What irks me even more is when the creators of said "comics" start critising other drawn comics, not realising that using 3D animation software, using someone else's models, clothing, scenery, etc, is the highest form of laziness you could come up with, quite like 8-bit sprite comics that use other people's work.

And, yes, I am more than a little tired of the sea of samey-anime strips. Its mostly a bunch of US highschool kids jumping on a fad, and just copying anyone else. (Sorry, but it has to be said, how long can any sane mind put up with the same highschool based storylines that feature femme boys and supernaturally powered girls, relationship/shippy stories, etc...) Its become more bland and samey than the blandest of American sitcoms or 2% skimmed milk.

And, lately, I've seen a trend of these anime drawing kids acting superior to those who have been doing online comics a lot longer than they have, even those who actually make money off their work and are not just some fan/hobby strip like these rude anime kids (heck, most of these "kids" quit after a year or less when they don't get enough of a fanbase to kiss their asses and massage egos with comments about how cute their chibis are, etc. ) (If you think I'm kidding, you see it at a lot of comic conventions. I witnessed one anime kiddie insult Josh Adams artwork and said their own was better... Josh Adams being a well known comic artist and nephew of Neil Adams, a major comic artist.)

Sorry, but this sort of behaviour really chaffes my ferret.
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Greedy wrote:
- children as characters

o_O
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varethane wrote:
Uncle Greedy wrote:
- children as characters

o_O

Yeah. That's what I was thinking.

Blog
Uncle Greedy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
Varethane wrote:
Uncle Greedy wrote:
- children as characters

o_O

Yeah. That's what I was thinking.

I have to admit that there are at least two exceptions from that rule:
The Kin-Der Kids and Wee Willie Winkie’s World from Feininger, both some of the greatest pieces of art in the world of comics.

As example what I find annoying are characters like Ken Scott in the 1978/79 Captain Future anime-serial. I really liked that show (even if anime, but it was a nice interpretation of that 1940ies original stories), but I really hated Ken Scott for spoiling the episodes he was in. (I never met anyone who didn't hate that character.)
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- One-dimensional precocious children as permanent primary characters,

Fixed.

As to Poser comics, there are degrees of quality and workmanship, there. Scott Christian Sava owns a CG animation studio, but still drives himself to distraction updating his (non-Poser) 3d comic.

Others with fewer resources than Scott have an even harder time (for one thing, they're probably not using poser, which costs over a hundred dollars at this point, but using DAZ3D, instead). If you've never tried working with Poser of any 3d modelling program, then you have no place to speak. I use it for life models to draw from, and even the half-ass poses I set take as much time and effort as the actual artwork.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
If you've never tried working with Poser of any 3d modelling program, then you have no place to speak. I use it for life models to draw from, and even the half-ass poses I set take as much time and effort as the actual artwork.

I find it's usually faster to just take a picture of someone when I need a drawing reference.

And that's after having made 250+ webcomic pages in Poser. (Probably over 800 individual renders.)
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
and even the half-ass poses I set take as much time and effort as the actual artwork.

I think 3D programs get faster when you get used to them. The problem is making it look good and avoiding the uncanny valley. ...hmmm. Not sure about the time factor. The more I think about, the more I think I might be wrong. I suppose it depends on how much original work you go into.

That and the perception among more classical artists that 3D art is "cheap" or "lazy" or "not art".

Speaking of using a 3D modeling program, I was thinking for a moment that using a program like that might be a crutch for learning to draw proper proportions. And then I thought what if you drew something by hand, and then compared it to a Poser pose. That could be a pretty handy learning tool.
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I think 3D programs get faster when you get used to them.

Well, yes. But drawing also gets faster when you get used to it. So why would you think the proportion of time spent would change between the two?

Shaping a hand into a needed pose finger-joint by finger joint is always going to take more time than just drawing the hand.

The main advantage of 3D art is the flexibility and power when it comes to reusing earlier work. Once I've got that hand shape, I can save it into the library, and then use it again. And it's the same handshape, no matter what direction I'm looking at it from. When I draw, I have to draw it again, fresh every time -- re-working out what it looks like, every time I want to see it from a different angle.

But there aren't that many full-body poses that I reuse. My character Silver has a characteristic standing pose that he returns to whenever he isn't doing something else, but he is the only character with that particular quirk. I have a base "sit" pose for a particular kind of chair, which gets the feet and legs in the right position, but the other chairs that appear don't force the sitter to do anything specific, so every character ends up sitting differently every time based on who they are and what they are doing. For my fight scenes I stored the "basic boxing pose" but I only use it as a starting place -- something to return to when I've got crazily rotated arms and a hip placement that no longer has any relationship to where the computer thinks the "body" is supposed to be and, and the computer swears the feet have been turned sideways, and so forth, and I just really need to start over.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Quote:
- One-dimensional precocious children as permanent primary characters,

Fixed.
Oh, can I gen some example?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Manga and computer-generated comics, I am getting also tired of the countless stick-figure comics. I mean a comic hasn't to be naturalistic or perfect, but I like it if there is something distinctive individualistic in the style and characters.
microbrien

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS

I made this for all of you specifically to illustrate everything I hate.

I write at cn-comics.com!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 48 of 55

Jump to: