TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Pandar wrote:
Why they so mad? Madder than grammar nazis when I end a sentence with at.

I think part of it is that comics about how great your life is aren't all that fun to read so they exaggerate what difficulties they've got.

I can't stand that "if only I was a wolf person living in a tribal society life would be sunshine and rainbows!" shit though. Sorry Mr. Furrypants, you'd still be you and whatever issues you've got would come along for the ride. If you're an internet pancake now what makes you think you'd enjoy getting up at five in morning for your space warrior training?
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
If you're an internet pancake now what makes you think you'd enjoy getting up at five in morning for your space warrior training?

The space warrior recruitment centre lied, they promised I could sleep in til 5:30. FML.
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may technically be a Wolf person but I do like my indoor plumbing and waking up after the sun rises.

Wolf Space Warrior training is very intense. Remember, 1 year for us is like 7 years for them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustMonster wrote:
I know it's been mentioned before, but I'm sick of seeing the same cast of four show up over and over again. Wacky Manchild, Snarky the Roommate, The Girl, and Angry Thing. Almost always on a couch and/or working some mundane job that's "beneath them."

And the worst of it is how some comics even flaunt the stereotype. You've probably seen the ads over here for The Outer Circle? I refresh the page every time that one comes up, just for the principle. Evil or Very Mad

(Is there somewhere I can pay to have TWCL not accept ads from them?)
rocketpig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombies. I am so freakin' tired of zombies.

And if those zombies also happened to be The Four, well then, that would just be the worst.

Really though, zombies are so freakin' tired. They were awesome in Shaun of the Dead and The Walking Dead series but now, everyone is jumping on. If you just started a zombie webcomic, you're not doing anything fresh. Sorry. You're about 10 years late to the party.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketpig wrote:
If you just started a zombie webcomic, you're not doing anything fresh.

It's definitely very hard to keep zombies fresh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Wolf wrote:
rocketpig wrote:
If you just started a zombie webcomic, you're not doing anything fresh.

It's definitely very hard to keep zombies fresh.

Heheheh, your comic takes the concept and tosses it on its head. I think you're pretty safe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna...keep quiet...in the corner over here.

Though, in my defence, I started my zombie comic before I even knew what webcomics were, and that was about five or six years ago now. Confused

www.JazzandJess.com <---May contain Boobies and Zombies.
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustMonster wrote:
rocketpig wrote:

Heheheh, your comic takes the concept and tosses it on its head. I think you're pretty safe.

So true! Clint, I don't even think of your comic as being a "zombie comic." It's more like... Horror Western. Probably because you aren't going by the usual zombie story cliches.

I admit, I get asked sometimes why I don't promote ZR more heavily on general zombie fan websites, and one of the main reasons is I'm not really sure it's our audience. There's definitely some bleedover (heh), but for instance El Santo of Webcomic Overlook wrote "When I want to read about zombies, I donít want anything more than over-the-top action and copious amounts of blood and guts...", and a lot of people share his predilections.

So if that's what the audience wants (or seems to want), that's what a lot of creators are going to give. It's a working formula similar to The Four, or giving superheroines huge boobs.

Also, I think a lot of it is less just being lazy as having to do with the oft repeated statement here that people should be making comics that they themselves would want to read. But the bar for standing out is a lot, lot higher if your premise is retreading the same old ground.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
ttallan wrote:
jpcline wrote:
one thing that really bugs me is when every character has the same exact smirky, one eyebrow raised, half smile expression on their face.

I will never be able to think of this expression again without remembering the Smarm Brow, which is the finest example of the form.

AKA: Dreamworks face: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21075074@N05/3398960470/lightbox/

:o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the annoyance for me comes in when it becomes the default expression for a character. Even Bugs Bunny didn't smarm all the time.

Also, I'm not seeing it so much from the characters, but wow is that one smarmy goat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that bugs me massively: Comics that throw massive ten character casts at the reader immediately with zero introduction or set up for the premise.

There's nothing wrong with having a large cast, but you have to introduce characters over time. Let me meet characters A, B, C and D before I have to memorize the names of characters E, F, G, H, I and J.

I also shouldn't have to read the "about" page to understand the basic premise when I've started *from the beginning*.
rocketpig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
(Good) comic fonts will render a capital I with crossbars at the top and bottom and a lower-case i without. It's a subtle difference, but it is noticeable.

Just one of about 450,000 reasons to never ever EVER use Comic Sans MS.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I'd never even noticed / thought about that "I" thing, and I've read a lot of comic books. :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Whoa, I'd never even noticed / thought about that "I" thing, and I've read a lot of comic books. Surprised

Same here, but after it was pointed out to me (several months ago) I went back and discovered that, yep, most of them adhere to the convention. It was too late to save our first print issue, but I fixed it for the (still to come) second.

Digitally speaking I decided to just leave the comics unaltered up to the point we became aware of things, since there's a lot of people who like to look back at a webcomic and see what's changed from point A to point B (hopefully for the better). Our little archive of shame Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 13 of 55

Jump to: