TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to thewebcomiclist.com?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TWCL Forum Index -> How To...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oppernaR
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: How to thewebcomiclist.com? Reply with quote

Submit a link to your tutorials, guides or tips for use of this website, along with a short description to the admins by PM, email, or in the discussion topic in General Ramblings.

The links to the appropriate topics will be posted in categories below.

"Not updating" fix below!

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.

Last edited by oppernaR on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
oppernaR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created the comic to end all comics! Now what?
Submit it to TWCL here and let the world be amazed.

But it has a funky status and doesn't work!
When this site started it was created in a way that granted every new comic the attention it deserved. This means it gets added manually in a way that assures the best performance for the site's crawler.
The huge success of this site resulted in over ten thousand comics added now, and more joining every day. This has caused and still causes some trouble with updates. Small changes to a site can confuse the crawler and it can take a while before it knows where to check for updates. More info about your comic's status can be found here.
Usually the problem will fix itself after a while, but if it still doesn't work after a number of weeks it would be advisable to email Ash about it.
There is a complaints section on this forum, but I'm not sure of how frequently that's checked by people who can actually fix stuff.
The insane amount of work Ash and his team are facing means that even emails can be put on hold for a bit or lost in the mail. Keep trying though, solutions happen to those who nag.

HALP! I dropped over 9000 ranks!
The ranking is calculated based on a number of factors, some with formulas involving the entire greek alphabet, some so secret that even Ash can't remember them. But it comes down to this:
The most important factor is number of clicks to your comic through this site per update. This means that increasing your schedule can be a bad idea if you care about ranks...
Some of your readers will return every day and click through to your comic every day, but chances are that they'll check every couple of days and hit the Back button a few times. So with n being the number of daily visitors, and N being the number of visitors for every update U which happens every d days with fanservice level f, you'd get something like:
N=f(ndU)
The less often you update, the more visitors per update, the higher your N-factor and the higher your rank. How often you update is also a factor, so there is some trickyness involved.
Ofcourse there's much, much more, some not even known to me...

I have other issues with my comic, other comics, double entries or the colour of this site.
Same applies, the only thing I could change for you is your webcomic's genre on the list, the rest is admin business which means Ash and his crew are your only hope.

I don't know, maybe I'm just losing my mind, but... there is a way to sort by genre AND ranking, right? I mean, surely we aren't expected to click every single link on a list-by-ranking to see if it is or is not a desired catagory.
Aye.. it can be done here.
(front page -> about this site -> comic profiles -> list by genre -> order by ranking)
Here you can sort your favorite genre (Fantasy/Furry/Gaming/Geeky/Manga/Mature/Quirky/Sci-Fi/Weird/Workplace) either by name or by ranking.
Your mind has been found!

S*P*Q*R
oppernaR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Broken Comics! Reply with quote

24xliam wrote:
Everybody who had the "not updating" problem simply needs to add

<!-- Last Update: dd/mm/yyyy-->

and use the "report broken comic" link to report it.

I did this with thewakingdead.com and the problem was fixed in under 24 hours.

Credit goes where credit's due! Replace dd with day, mm with month and yyyy with year of update, obviously...
There is no guarantee that this will work within 24 hours every time, but this IS the best way!

S*P*Q*R
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TWCL Forum Index -> How To... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum