TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling Yourself to Conventions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Kind of jealous you got some panel gigs. :D

I guess the cut-throat way of going about this would be to remove all view counting type of stuff from your site so nobody has much of a clue about your readership, then kind of act like a big shot and let people assume that you are.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaygee wrote:
5. Hint that it was you who invented the concept of the Infinite Canvas and taught Scott McCloud how to use it.

Ooh, I like this one. *takes notes*

Kallisti wrote:
For instance, at Penguicon this last year, a whole bunch of famous comics showed up - Short Packed, Schlock Mercenary, Something Positive, and a few others. Completely eclipsed almost any of the other webcomic people... and they tried a hostile takeover of a panel Kez and I were doing.

Panel pirates! :o
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did it come to fisticuffs with the ringleader?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have a hell of a lot more panel experience than me, since my first one ever is at the end of this month... and it's not like they approached us about doing one, I started bugging them about it early on and we'd already paid to be exhibitors.

From people I've talked to, sometimes you might at least be able to get a guest badge if someone who already has a panel there wants to have you be part of the panel... so maybe you could find out which of your friends and contacts are going to be in the programming and offer your services as a moderator?

Also, there's a certain amount of communication between convention staffers as well, so if you're in with "Convention X", maybe they'd put in the good word for you to "Convention Y". I don't think it matters what kind of business you're in, a good referral from a trusted source is worth its weight in gold.

Just thoughts. I figure they don't comp travel expenses except with people that are very established, but you might at least be able to attend the Con for free. Heck, my wife and I had only been doing our comic for about six months and San Diego approved our Professional applications, which is going to save us $600 over the course of the next few years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallisti wrote:

Unfortunately, as it was related to me later on at the con, apparently one of the big time webcomickers... and I'm not going to name names here (cough*howard*cough*taylor*cough)... completely misunderstood what the panel was about, thinking that we the panelists were going to be bashing other people's webcomics.

To be fair this was about as much my fault as Howard's. It turns out moderators are really, really important things, and my moderator arrangements completely fell through (stupid President coming to Ann Arbor during Penguicon), so he was already fairly, fully pissed about that (and just about every other choice I'd made as head of the webcomics programming), so I'm sure that he thought he was saving the day, when he launched, but yeah... total pirate!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: