TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best webcomic host that costs absolutely nothing is...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarafin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: The best webcomic host that costs absolutely nothing is...? Reply with quote

I have a webcomic series on a blog ( http://asylumsquadsidestory.blogspot.com ) - Blogger appealed to me because of the cleanness of its layouts, the fact that it's free, and because it loads fast. However, a few claim my comic archives are difficult to access, and that it would be much better to have a server specific to webcomics. I have to agree it would be easier for the viewer, it's just that Blogger is very reliable load-wise and is easy to upload to/edit. However, if there is a *FREE* webcomic domain site that is as easy to use and looks good/won't clutter everything with ads (unless I want to add ads later), then I could make the move over, and I guess post on both. The blog is also for rants/stories/art.

So what's the best out there for the poor webcomic creator? Anyone? (I also suck at computers anyway, so it has to be idiot proof for the sucky novice - no coding, for example!)

Danke, if you can help!

-Sarafin
thestripedone
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampage network (http://www.rampagenetwork.com/hosting/) is free and shiny, drunkduck and smackjeeves are also free, but considerably less shiny.
Beertycoon
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown to dislike drunkduck because it's slow...very slow...sometimes I think they're loading every page-request from an old casette-recorder

On the other hand, drunkduck is easy to use and has a very very very large community

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I always recommend ComicGenesis! That's where I started, I feel it's best for people who want to make webcomics.

I wrote 2 reviews on webcomic hosts, for ComicGenesis and DrunkDuck.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest setting up accounts on Smack Jeeves, Drunk Duck and Comic Genesis to have a play with the templates and see what you like. You don't have to make anything live, just go there try it out a bit and check out the forums to see if you think it's the place for you.

Blog
Dutch
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Comic Dish, www.comicdish.com

It's free, ask nothing of you, has a good little community around it that's growing quietly, and doesn't expect you to put any ads on the page from them or any sponsors at all.

It's about as free as you could ever get, and they'll help out with your web design issues as well if you need help coding.

Honestly, they're genuine and up front about everything and require you do nothing at all to be on their hosting scheme, which all of the others do, at least with advertisements and stuff. Give them a try, I've never had an issue with them, where I've had issues with each of the others listed here that I've given a go.

Cheers.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people despise it, but Webcomics Nation really isn't that bad. A number of my favourite comics (Narbonic, Skin Horse, Family Man) are hosted there.
Think think think...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nasty case of Skin Horse once, my girlfriend cried for weeks.
Sarafin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I'm looking into a couple of 'em right now. May soon post a new link to my work - one that's more accessible.

-Sarafin
katastrophe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the recommendation for ComicDish. They're reliable, easy to use, and very responsive. And, yes, ads are not required. Very Happy
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation for ComicGenesis. I also second the recommendation that you just join them all (ComicGenesis, DrunkDuck, SmackJeeves, ComicDish, (shudder) WebcomicNation, Webcomic Planet...) and see which you personally like best. Seeing as you like blogs, you might love Webcomic Planet, seeing as it allows you to run ComicPress, which is a blog extention.

I'm one of the people who loathes Webcomic Nation. Its default templates are as unuserfriendly as you can get, in my opinion. They basically take everything I hate about comic layouts and combine them. Laughing

From my experience, though (I've tried both ComicGenesis and DrunkDuck personally, and lurked on the SmackJeeves forums), CG is the best. SmackJeeves' forums struck me as a place I didn't want to join, DrunkDuck's forums are fun but the layout stuff, I do not like. ComicGenesis has quiet, mostly boring forums. I like that. Kez's linked review of the two basically sum up why I chose CG over DD. We seem to meet quite eye to eye there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestripedone wrote:
rampage network (http://www.rampagenetwork.com/hosting/) is free and shiny, drunkduck and smackjeeves are also free, but considerably less shiny.

Thanks!
Yes we are shiny, you don't have to code, we dont force any ads or banners, and you get a real domain.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horatio wrote:
thestripedone wrote:

Thanks!
Yes we are shiny, you don't have to code, we dont force any ads or banners, and you get a real domain.

I was very impressed when I first saw your network, so I try to pimp it out whenever possible. Wink
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestripedone wrote:
horatio wrote:
thestripedone wrote:

Thanks!

I was very impressed when I first saw your network, so I try to pimp it out whenever possible. Wink

Though ya guys look pretty awesome, I'm not sure you're the best free host that costs nothing as it is by application and not just any ol comic can hop on by and sign up. If I hadn't been accepted by SpiderForest I might've given you a try next. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
thestripedone wrote:
horatio wrote:
thestripedone wrote:

Thanks!

Though ya guys look pretty awesome, I'm not sure you're the best free host that costs nothing as it is by application and not just any ol comic can hop on by and sign up. If I hadn't been accepted by SpiderForest I might've given you a try next. Smile

Well we aim for quality control, 6 years ago when we started , the first members were from DD and were kind of tired of being on the same place with paint created comics. I don't we are that rigid, we do host about 30 comics.

Last edited by horatio on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: