TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artist wanted for Joker fan-comic/ Pimpster gets pwned :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WriterWhoCantDraw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if nothing else, you may attract an artist through a mercy intervention.

I think that's how I got Trevor to be my artist. Laughing
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneThousandWords wrote:
For all our discussions, I have a funny feeling "pimpster200390" is never planning on checking back on this thread. Does anyone have the audacity to email him these thoughts?

I'm seriously considering emailing him some of my Joker art, in hopes that he accepts.

S*P*Q*R
Kail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anezka wrote:

I'm just wondering, did I waste my time when I wrote the huge long "Posting Etiquette" thread for this sort of thing?

Not to be a dick about it, but it does strike me as kind of weird that just about every "looking for artist" thread we've had here has been carted off to the land of "this is how you should post." Can't we just ignore the threads if we're not interested?

There's a lot of people who are (I assume) posting more or less spur-of-the-moment stuff. "Hey, Bob, we should do a comic," "Yeah, what should it be about" kind of thing. No long term plan, probably no real script or outline, even if the comic did get started, it would probably not last beyond the first "Why do we have no readers" blog rant. These kinds of posts, I would argue, should be ignored. Even if you could help them find an artist, should you?

If someone does seriously come in here looking for an artist for a real project, then that would be the guy to help, but in my experience, that's also the guy who needs help the least. Posting about how a guy looking for an artist for his new Megaman Sprite Comic should learn to draw himself, post writing examples, and so on, seems like you're giving stock market advice to a hobo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I was bombarded by negativity Sad
Lord Pandar
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Now I feel bad Sad

S*P*Q*R
pimpster200390

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anezka wrote:

I'm just wondering, did I waste my time when I wrote the huge long "Posting Etiquette" thread for this sort of thing? I mean, it was designed to help writers find artists. These threads should be like a CV for the writer. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I've always taken great care with my CV. Ok, so a comic isn't the same as a job, but the analogy still stands.

Meh. Whatever.

I actually did read your thread, but i decided to just keep it simple and expand further through emails. I have gotten a few responses so to everyone who was interested thank you very much.
pimpster200390

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Pandar wrote:
Sad Now I feel bad Sad

Don't feel bad I was considering using your picture as the cover page Very Happy........................... which would still surpass anything I could draw
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kail wrote:
If someone does seriously come in here looking for an artist for a real project, then that would be the guy to help, but in my experience, that's also the guy who needs help the least. Posting about how a guy looking for an artist for his new Megaman Sprite Comic should learn to draw himself, post writing examples, and so on, seems like you're giving stock market advice to a hobo.

My goodness you're a cynic.
Me too. Smile

But I think that having the advice up there to be read is worth it anyway. It makes it "on record" so to speak. It gives people something to point to. Nobody can say we didn't warn them.

AND there will be a few people who will read it and learn, and probably NOT post because they realize they aren't ready, and having helped those precious few is all the more golden for the fact that it was invisible assistance.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you guys are absolutely right. I really shouldn't post when bored, lonely and annoyed for reasons completely unrelated to the forums (damn housemates never do the washing up...)
jdalton
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kail wrote:

Hey, in the new economy, you never know when a stock broker might become a hobo. Or a hobo become a stock broker. There's nothing wrong with giving advice for which appreciation is not guaranteed!

S*P*Q*R
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point, Kail, we didn't seek him out offering unsolicited advice on how to solicit artists. He came to this forum seeking to solicit an artist for a fan project. Let's be honest, here. He provided no info, no writing samples, and no offer of payment.

To be honest, JD gave him the best advice anyone could: If your script is an improvement on the comic already created by authors that DC has paid for a published story, then submit it to them. They have a full stable of artists to produce the work once they have an approved script.
pimpster200390

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
More to the point, Kail, we didn't seek him out offering unsolicited advice on how to solicit artists. He came to this forum seeking to solicit an artist for a fan project. Let's be honest, here. He provided no info, no writing samples, and no offer of payment.

To be honest, JD gave him the best advice anyone could: If your script is an improvement on the comic already created by authors that DC has paid for a published story, then submit it to them. They have a full stable of artists to produce the work once they have an approved script.

...................or you could just email me
BTW Why post a comment if you're not interested??????????? This was simply just to attract artist curious of doing a fun side project, not to create some pointless debate>>> yeesh what happened to the love, we're not supposed to become jerks untill after we make it not before
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimpster200390 wrote:

BTW Why post a comment if you're not interested??????????? This was simply just to attract artist curious of doing a fun side project, not to create some pointless debate>>> yeesh what happened to the love, we're not supposed to become jerks untill after we make it not before

There's very much a culture on these boards that the OP does not own the threads. Although it seems not many people were interested in signing up to your project, this thread in its two pages, has already generated quite interesting discussion on the legality and artistic merits of using popular characters, as well as a discussion on the function of this section of the boards as a whole.

You can call it "pointless debate", but it's the lifeblood of these forums. Please don't take personal offense, we wish you all the best with your project. What we are doing is using your example as a case study of a "writer seeking arist" pitch. "The Dogpile" is quite new, and we're trying to fine tune how it works.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: pimpster200390 Reply with quote

OneThousandWords wrote:
pimpster200390 wrote:

There's very much a culture on these boards that the OP does not own the threads. Although it seems not many people were interested in signing up to your project, this thread in its two pages, has already generated quite interesting discussion on the legality and artistic merits of using popular characters, as well as a discussion on the function of this section of the boards as a whole.

You can call it "pointless debate", but it's the lifeblood of these forums. Please don't take personal offense, we wish you all the best with your project. What we are doing is using your example as a case study of a "writer seeking arist" pitch. "The Dogpile" is quite new, and we're trying to fine tune how it works.

sooooo i'm a lab rat.............yay Sad
pimpster200390

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: pimpster200390 Reply with quote

kinda of wish you could have done this on a different thread but oh well...

>I still don't see why some of you have to be so hostile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum