TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Wonderful Ban List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miluette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if at the bottom of the site/below the news area is actually a better place to be, because whoever DOES see and click those ads are more dedicated to viewing more?!

lol no, you're right, it's an awful place to put ads. I don't get many hits in the first place, but I'm going to rectify my ad placement at some point... especially because now it seems like it'd be worth my while to. (I had a hard time reconciling using more than one ad in the first place, but...pennies!!)

Though I've never seen a poorly-placed ad spot that was exactly sucking out anyone's cash - it'd be profiting considerably less than other ads on a website due to its placement, anyway, regardless of pageviews.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senshuu wrote:
What if at the bottom of the site/below the news area is actually a better place to be, because whoever DOES see and click those ads are more dedicated to viewing more?!

lol no, you're right, it's an awful place to put ads.

Heh you had me going for a second there, I was like wait no is my experience just totally different from the norm here? Is the universe just WRONG??! :AO

Senshuu wrote:
I don't get many hits in the first place, but I'm going to rectify my ad placement at some point... especially because now it seems like it'd be worth my while to. (I had a hard time reconciling using more than one ad in the first place, but...pennies!!)

Let me know when you do and I'll gladly re-evaluate your sites.

I came up with an improved method for handling this last night: now, in addition to marking those selling bad ad spaces as "banned," which prevents all my campaigns from bidding on them in the future (although you also have to manually cancel any bids currently placed there, which is kind of a pain), if I check a site and its ad placements are good, then I mark the user as "buddy."

"Buddy" means that any ad they take out on your site will be automatically approved, but I plan on auto-approving all ads anyway, so in that sense buddying doesn't mean much for me. But now I use "buddy" to indicate that I've vetted a site's ad spaces and found them good. So, all I have to do is click on the "x high bids" link for one of my ad campaigns, scan down the list, look for any ads/publishers that aren't marked "buddy" yet, and check them out to either ban or buddify--much faster than having to check each and every one all the time (because I have a bad memory and kept forgetting which ones I've checked before)!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My campaigns are so conservative that even a bottom-leaderboard would be a good deal with my standards. I place all of my reasonably-priced bids by hand.

Anyhoo, just banned my first account! Woohoo! https://www.projectwonderful.com/viewprofile.php?id=37477
It had something about how to talk to hot women. Meh.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylvia wrote:
My campaigns are so conservative that even a bottom-leaderboard would be a good deal with my standards. I place all of my reasonably-priced bids by hand.

Anyhoo, just banned my first account! Woohoo! https://www.projectwonderful.com/viewprofile.php?id=37477
It had something about how to talk to hot women. Meh.

I admit I had half a mind to ban when I saw that ad on my site. Laughing
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's been talking about those ads like they've been on everyone's sites but I've not seen them. I feel left out. Sad

Miluette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that ad yesterday. Obviously it's shitty but I just didn't want to ban it 'cause it pushed the ad price way up. Sad

Of course it seems to be gone now, but if it pops up on Millennium or lingers on my other site I'll probably bring down the banhammer.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Robinson wrote:
Everyone's been talking about those ads like they've been on everyone's sites but I've not seen them. I feel left out. Sad

I would say it has something to do with your lack of a skyscraper adspace. Smile

And I know what you mean, Senshuu! Laughing I mean, that's like, TWO MORE PENNIES, PROBABLY. And I love seeing my adspace get pushed up to 60 cents a day. It makes me feel more important. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
Zoe Robinson wrote:

I would say it has something to do with your lack of a skyscraper adspace. Smile

or leaderboard or rectangle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great topic, i just recently got a PWonderful account, I've managed so far without any ads on my site but I was thinking of adding a few now.

In you're experience is it better to have a large banner across the top or a bunch of small button ads? Both in terms of the money you get and the possibility of questionable content.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaderboards/Skyscrapers = questionable content, but more money.
Buttons = less likely to be clicked, less money, the more you have, the less people will 'fight' to advertise on your site.

I have a skyscraper and three buttons and it's serving me well so far. From what I've seen, a bunch of small buttons only works if you're Girl Genius and people will fall over themselves to advertise on your site anyway.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a leaderboard and a row of six buttons, and they're performing somewhat similarly (ie leaderboard earning about as much as the six buttons combined). I think if my traffic increases then the leaderboard value will go up faster than the combined buttons, but that's just a guess. I like the buttons; at first I thought having that many little images there might be more distracting than one big image, but actually it's less because the smaller images jump out at you less, and in fact they tend to form kind of a nice dash of color on the page.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed an ad from my site for the first time. I REALIZE the Omake Theatre one is "just peaches" but I don't find that content cool on my site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently banned AshleyMadison, which is a dating service aimed at married men who want to cheat.

Unfortunately, I deleted the ads before I thought to dig up their profile info, but yeah - if you get an ad from them, that's what their site's about.
djotaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omake theatre is hilarious (sometimes). But def not family-friendly.

I've had smbhax's ads on my site before, it's what led me to click - not sure if others have or not. A lot of people have been landing on my site lately from a Dwarf Fortress wiki (I have 2 DF strips out of almost 100 strips) so I'm not sure if they click on the ads afterwards or not.

Luckily I've been mostly having ads for legit stuff like that new Marvel comic coming out or some anime. I DID have an ad running for a while for what may have been a softcore hentai DVD (not sure from the trailer they had on their site). But, ever since I stopped having to approve all the ads, I've been able to get better bids. Of course, I'm nowhere near 60 cents yet!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost banned this one, but it's fairly harmless, so I left it on. It was mostly just the shock factor of landing on that page after clicking a banner that said "cthulu"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: