TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm A Writer Looking For An Artist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uppity_Scarecrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: I'm A Writer Looking For An Artist Reply with quote

Alright, so I have a comic script in the works and I'm looking for an artist. It's a bizarre tale of ultra violence, conspiracy, and mad science surgery.

It tells the tale of a hitman, Smooth Jazz who along with a quick-witted hooker Cherry Romance and a detached human brain kept alive by a machine travel across country as they delve deep into a world wide conspiracy.

I'm looking for an artist to help me realize this. Thanks.

Chris

I can be reached at themanwhowins@gmail.com

Last edited by Uppity_Scarecrow on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be more likely to find an artist if you give a little more information. For example, are you going to deal with the website and hosting etc? Do you have any examples of your writing? Perhaps an excerpt from your script, so people can see how much detail you put into your scripts (artists like to work in different ways. Some prefer detailed scripts, others more vague.)

Finding an artist is always difficult. There are more people who think they can write or have an idea they think is wonderful than people who think they can draw (that doesn't mean they can write/draw/have a fantastic world-changing idea). The more information you give, the easier it'll be to find an artist.

Still, your idea does sound interesting.
Uppity_Scarecrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, fair enough. Ok so I'd look to host it through a free hosting site to post the comic, maybe smackjeeves or some place that offers good hosting.

I do think posting a sample of the comic would be an idea way to find a good artist.

(I'm writing it in screenplay format because I want to give the artist full control over how they visualize it.)

INT. LABORATORY - UNKOWN

A small overhead light sways. Illuminating little and
casting harsh shadows.

The steady beep of a heart monitor can be heard.

A shadowy figure hunches over the operating table.

This is DR. SANGUE STRONZO. A odd assortment of organs and
bones, hidden beneath a large, now blood soaked cloak.

His left hand holds a bone saw while his right grips the
still beating heart of his victim.

A long string of wires connects the muscle to a bizarre
machine that in turn is hooked up long organic looking pipe
that is inserted to the open chest cavity of the victim.

His arm is detached and rest propped up in a cruel-looking
machine. The fingers twitch.

THE MAN WITH THE OPEN CHEST lies there. He is paralyzed from
the neck down.

THE MAN WITH THE OPEN CHEST
...Why?

No response.

Come on, you fucking freak! Say
something.

Dr. Sangue Stronzo simply nods. Then, slowly he moves
himself towards a machine. It is a black, boxlike
contraption: THE CERVELLO CHAMBER.

The doctor extends a hand out and presses a button. There is
a loud POP as a lid lifts up and the sides swing out to
reveal:

A cylinder tank filled with green liquid. Resting inside is
a human brain.

Numerous wires and other medical apparatus are hooked into
it.

The doctor coughs, clearing his throat. It sounds as though
he is speaking through an old worn out microphone. Human but
not quite.

(CONTINUED)

CONTINUED: 2.

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
Sir?

The glass case bumbles as the brain stirs.

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
Doctor, are you awake?

THE BRAIN
(synthesized)
Why did you wake me?

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
I have a few... selections for you.

THE BRAIN
(synthesized)
Selections? Please, humor me.

The doctor nods and opens up a shudder. There are several
several heads are propped up. Their faces frozen in
expressions of terror.

Wires extend down from these decapitated heads, attached to
their temple and other muscles.

Dr. Sangue Stronzo presses a button off to the side of
shudder The heads jolt to life.

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
Do any of these seem to suite what
youíre looking for?

The heads all look towards The Brain.

THE BRAIN
(synthesized)
Do you have anything not so...
stale?

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
Stale?

THE BRAIN
(synthesized)
Whatís the freshest specimen you
have?

A Pause.

THE BRAIN (CONT)
(synthesized)
Whoís that youíre playing on you
over there?

(CONTINUED)

CONTINUED: 3.

The doctor looks over towards the table.

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
That thing over there? You wouldnít
want that.

THE BRAIN
(sythesized)
Humor me.

The doctor walks over and then, slowly putting his hands on
either side Cervello Chamber. He pushes it towards the
operating table.

Donít you come near me with that
thing? Keep that fucking thing away
from me!

The hand on the table twitches and then slowly flips the
approaching doctor off.

The Doctor stops the Cervello Chamber just inches from The
man.

THE BRAIN
(synthesized)
Disgusting thing. Why do you insist
on playing them first?

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
Does it suit you, sir?

THE BRAIN
(synthesized)
It certainly is a rental but itíll
do.

DR. SANGUE STRONZO
Very well then.

He picks up the bone saw and turns it on. The man struggles
as he draws it nearer and nearer.

BOOM! The Man With An Open Chest is splattered with blood.
The doctor stumbles.

Through the wound two black suited men can be seen. One
wields a sawed off shotgun and the other grips a katana.

They are brothers HAPPY VICTOR and SMOOTH JAZZ. Identical
twins who dress in sharp Italian suits with red cuffs. Each
sports the same short, slicked back hair and confident
smirk.
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be the only person in the world that thinks this, and everyone may hate me for saying it buuut...

You want a serious artist, but you're going to go with craptacular web hosting? That would have made me hit the back button right there bro...

Also are you willing to pay at all? It takes hours upon hours per page on an even remotely decent comic. You aren't saying like the quality you want either.

Unless I see all this stuff, I'm not feeling the seriousness :/

Sorry if you hate me, think my comic sucks, and think I should feel bad now for existing. Sad
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hate you for saying that, TBowl. I've put a mail bomb in your e-mail, so make sure you turn off your virus protection.

Wow, that's like, one of the best comic artist ads I've seen.

You summarized the story, and included an actual demonstration of your script writing abilities (Which is nice since script writing is the closest kind of writing to comic writing).

Sorry I can't help you, good luck. I'd recommend looking around for a comic host, there are a lot, take a look at Comic Genesis. Mentioning your update schedule would be nice.

Also, have you tried drawing the comic yourself? I always like to promote people trying to draw their own comics. I know your drawing abilities are probably "grossly inadequate" and you probably "just can't learn to draw" but virtually anybody can learn to draw well if they put in the time and practice. And in case you were going to try and sneak out the back door with a "My art isn't good enough for my epic masterpiece", then you should sit down and think for a minute. If your art isn't good enough, then what about your story, dialog, pacing, etc.. There's a lot more to writing than a basic story. If you haven't thought about those you may want to start on a practice comic first, just to get the hang of things, which would be perfect for practicing art, too.
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No officer, there'sh no computersh in my virush.

Another thing to think about, is how on earth is someone going to try to illustrate all this stuff. You have some direction there which is good, but the artist is going to have to be like, "which angle does he want all this drawn in." Oh I'll draw it close up, but you wanted it all like 3quarter view, 4 layer shaded... I dunno.

I'm just saying this cuz I've been on twcl for a while and there's always people asking for artists, but if you really really want an artist, you gotta entice the artist! Entice them... with money! And... vision!!!

If I was an artist I wouldn't be like oo laa laa I want to draw this guys visionary twitchy fingers !!!

Maybe you would just want to be like, writing a book dude? Why's it gotta be all illustrated??
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbowl wrote:

Another thing to think about, is how on earth is someone going to try to illustrate all this stuff. You have some direction there which is good, but the artist is going to have to be like, "which angle does he want all this drawn in." Oh I'll draw it close up, but you wanted it all like 3quarter view, 4 layer shaded... I dunno.

Or he could just be leaving it up to the artist, who is presumably good at visual storytelling. There's nothing wrong with letting the artist get on with setting up shots.

Anyway, the script looks interesting, Scarecrow. You had me up until the katana, anyway. I don't have the time to take on additional projects (not sure I could do an action comic justice, anyway), but good luck finding an artist! This could be pretty good in the right hands.

If I come across someone decent who's looking for a project I'll point them your way. Any contact info?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say we need a special "Help Wanted" section where artists and authors can go all match.com on one another.

I'll agree... there's a lot more detail here than there normally is in your average pitch. Still... you're going to have better luck and less hassle learning to draw yourself than you are hiring out an artist... unless you're willing to pay.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with munkymu's thoughts on giving the artist freedom. I could see most of the script framed in my head pretty well.

munkymu wrote:
You had me up until the katana, anyway.
Err, I didn't catch that part. Yeah. Be careful about Katanas. It's an easy way to inadvertently signal your audience that you're writing either some poorly constructed wannabe fanfic, or a hopeless bloody slasherfest*. Unless you [i]are[/] writing a wannabe fanfic or slasherfest and don't give two shakes about anybody else's opinion, which is A-OK in my book**.

*If you are going for a slasherfest (which it sure sounds like from your description), I'd substitute a chainsaw for the katana.

**My comic has been described as a "cultural history fanfic", which I'm quite pleased about.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
tbowl wrote:

Or he could just be leaving it up to the artist, who is presumably good at visual storytelling. There's nothing wrong with letting the artist get on with setting up shots.

This.

I considered, at one point, being an artist for someone else's story. In fact, if I HADN'T started my own script-to-comic, about two weeks later a person I know posted a request for an artist on a site that wouldn't normally see that since we have very few good artists and I'd read his story and liked it and would've drawn it.

I wouldn't draw for a writer who honestly thought he knew better than me what angles would work. I'm the ARTIST for a reason and when you start detailing panel layouts and everything, look, it's clear you have an imagination for it and you really would do better to learn to draw yourself... it's hard but worth it.

And honestly, those craptastic webhosting services get you a community that'll read the comic, potentially... good for beginners...

Eh, it's a good pitch. It's not something I'd do but it's a better pitch than most. I'd like to see more of what you're looking for in an artist too, aye. It sounds like a wacky script, anyway.

Good luck finding an artist.

I do think we need a help wanted section.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
**My comic has been described as a "cultural history fanfic", which I'm quite pleased about.

That's pretty amusing. It is because fox-people form an uh... integral... part or uh... 'cultural history', whatever that means?
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestripedone wrote:
That's pretty amusing. It is because fox-people form an uh... integral... part or uh... 'cultural history', whatever that means?
They do in some countries. Although I think I raised their ire with my katana-weilding vampire/werewolf/samurai fight scenes. Like I said, not all of us are going for high art.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím writing much more detailed panel descriptions for my artist. Iím also often providing photo references and sometimes drawing sketches. However, she often comes up with her own ideas and changes the layout, for example. Most of the time, itís a considerable improvement, only on very rare occasions I have to make some change requests. Seldom Iím writing clear instructions that a panel has to be drawn in a particular way.

The thing is that itís certainly making it a lot easier for the artist if you are providing him with detailed information how a panel could (!) look.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take another look at your script. There's a significant amount of information in it that cannot be conveyed through a comic without making extensive use of thought balloons or narrative boxes. There's also a large amount of descriptions that will take extra panels to display, but are unlikely to add much to your story. If you're giving your artist more opportunities to shine, awesome. If you're just adding cool stuff for the sake of adding cool stuff, you should consider leaving some of your ideas until later if they're not essential now.

With writing, substance trumps style every time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... I could draw it, EC, but it'd be funny if I did... and looking at the source material, I don't think that's what he had in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum