TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm A Writer Looking For An Artist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be more likely to find an artist if you give a little more information. For example, are you going to deal with the website and hosting etc? Do you have any examples of your writing? Perhaps an excerpt from your script, so people can see how much detail you put into your scripts (artists like to work in different ways. Some prefer detailed scripts, others more vague.)

Finding an artist is always difficult. There are more people who think they can write or have an idea they think is wonderful than people who think they can draw (that doesn't mean they can write/draw/have a fantastic world-changing idea). The more information you give, the easier it'll be to find an artist.

Still, your idea does sound interesting.
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbowl wrote:

Another thing to think about, is how on earth is someone going to try to illustrate all this stuff. You have some direction there which is good, but the artist is going to have to be like, "which angle does he want all this drawn in." Oh I'll draw it close up, but you wanted it all like 3quarter view, 4 layer shaded... I dunno.

Or he could just be leaving it up to the artist, who is presumably good at visual storytelling. There's nothing wrong with letting the artist get on with setting up shots.

Anyway, the script looks interesting, Scarecrow. You had me up until the katana, anyway. I don't have the time to take on additional projects (not sure I could do an action comic justice, anyway), but good luck finding an artist! This could be pretty good in the right hands.

If I come across someone decent who's looking for a project I'll point them your way. Any contact info?
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
tbowl wrote:

Another thing to think about, is how on earth is someone going to try to illustrate all this stuff. You have some direction there which is good, but the artist is going to have to be like, "which angle does he want all this drawn in." Oh I'll draw it close up, but you wanted it all like 3quarter view, 4 layer shaded... I dunno.

Or he could just be leaving it up to the artist, who is presumably good at visual storytelling. There's nothing wrong with letting the artist get on with setting up shots.

This.

I considered, at one point, being an artist for someone else's story. In fact, if I HADN'T started my own script-to-comic, about two weeks later a person I know posted a request for an artist on a site that wouldn't normally see that since we have very few good artists and I'd read his story and liked it and would've drawn it.

I wouldn't draw for a writer who honestly thought he knew better than me what angles would work. I'm the ARTIST for a reason and when you start detailing panel layouts and everything, look, it's clear you have an imagination for it and you really would do better to learn to draw yourself... it's hard but worth it.

And honestly, those craptastic webhosting services get you a community that'll read the comic, potentially... good for beginners...

Eh, it's a good pitch. It's not something I'd do but it's a better pitch than most. I'd like to see more of what you're looking for in an artist too, aye. It sounds like a wacky script, anyway.

Good luck finding an artist.

I do think we need a help wanted section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum