TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writer Looking For Artist, original I know

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir duke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Writer Looking For Artist, original I know Reply with quote

I'm looking for an artist to work with me on a new comic I'm calling "Happy Campers." It will be a comic about a group of camp counselors and the ins and outs of working at camp. There are three main characters. One is a hyperactive ex-camper who has trouble remembering he's not a kid anymore and is obsessed with Batman. The second is a tennis coach who's almost always lazy, angry, and violent towards either the kids or her co-workers. And the third is a more normal person but who often finds himself getting in way over his head with the kids and tends to fall in love at the drop of a hat.

For artists who are looking to get paid for their work, sorry, I just don't have money for that. I'm no rookie to webcomics, I've been making Ansem Retort for over 3 years. Ansem Retort can be found at www.ansemretort.org and, on average, gets over 3000 visitors a day. I'm connected with many people in the webcomics community, and know programmers who are capable of coding very good site designs. This new comic is looking at a starting fan base numbering in the thousands. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me with your information and examples of artwork. You can reach me at: kahanartist-2@hotmail.com

Last edited by sir duke on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it's good to know you've got experience in webcomics, and that the artist won't have to deal with building the site at all, but you need to put more information in your pitch. What sort of art style are you looking for? Do you want colour or lineart? You might want to provide a short example of your script, since different artists work in different ways. Some prefer very detailed scripts while others prefer them to be more vague, which allows them more artistic freedom. Also an example of the kinds of jokes or a short story arc so potential artists can judge for themselves how funny your comic would be (that's not to say I don't think it will be, it's just that people are more likely to believe that "hilarity ensues" if they can see for themselves that you can write funny). What format do you want the comic in - four panel strip, full page, etc?

What can you offer the artist? - if it's nothing, then say so. Whatever you say, don't say "exposure" because that will put off the more experienced artists who don't need exposure, and you'll end up looking pretentious and it'll be harder to find a good artists.

And while I'm at it, actually, while generally your grammar is good and I can't see any spelling errors, the sentence "Hilarity of course, ensues" is missing a comma after hilarity. Now while I'm quite happy to accept that might have been a typo, others might not see it that way. If you're a writer looking for an artist, you've got to show you're a competent writer and as such you can't trip up on something like that.

Good luck finding an artist. I'm gonna go start a thread about writer-looking-for-artist-posting-etiquette.
thestripedone
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anezka wrote:
And while I'm at it, actually, while generally your grammar is good and I can't see any spelling errors, the sentence "Hilarity of course, ensues" is missing a comma after hilarity.

DUN DUN DUN!

And thus, the importance of making a good first impression is made clear.

But maybe it isn't hilarity that ensues! Maybe it's "Hilarity of course" that ensues! It could happen.
AskMeAboutOrcs
Alley Oooooooop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestripedone wrote:
But maybe it isn't hilarity that ensues! Maybe it's "Hilarity of course" that ensues! It could happen.

That makes no sense. In that case it wouldn't be missing a comma, there'd be one too many!

[/OT]
thestripedone
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emurdaugh wrote:
thestripedone wrote:

That makes no sense. In that case it wouldn't be missing a comma, there'd be one too many!

[/OT]

Very true. So a comma is misplaced one way or another.
Hanzou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a dime for every writer that said that they offer "exposure" instead of a pay check... Laughing

Honestly, you should just do the art yourself. Heck, draw in stick figures if you have to. Its worked before.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanzou wrote:
If I had a dime for every writer that said that they offer "exposure" instead of a pay check... Laughing

Honestly, you should just do the art yourself. Heck, draw in stick figures if you have to. Its worked before.

I don't think that drawing something oneself is always the best move.

In many cases spending time learning how to write really, really well would get a would-be writer further than spending time learning to be a mediocre artist would.

And say this even though I am drawing my own.

But I have always loved drawing. To someone who hates drawing, the advice to draw your own is probably horrible advice.

On the other paw, it's good advice for the people who think that drawing is a mystical art and that artists are people mysteriously embued with some god-given talent that allows them to create wonderful looking images with no apparent effort, and that therefore, since they are obviously lacking that amazing talent, they don't have what it takes to be an artist.

And I say this even though my foster sister was embued with some god-given talent that allowed her to create wonderful looking images with no apparent effort. The miraculous talent does happen -- but as close as I can figure its not a requirement for success. In fact, sometimes it seems like it gets in the way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please pick me to be your artist I've been drawing since I was in the womb ( ok so maybe it wasn't that long ago but still I've been drawing a long time)
I love the plot it seems like I could even give some ideas I'll email some drawings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum