TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idea for website

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CidxHighwind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Idea for website Reply with quote

Well, its to my belief, sprite comics go good with role playing websites. Feature a forum and a main page and feature the users comics on the main site. Maybe even their RPs when they are finished. While this is quite generic and used already (I have a site in mind), I have a thought of a way to make it 10% better.

All you do is use RPG Maker and record gifs within the games. This way, your panels are animated, adding 10% more flavor. This gives 10% more use of the RPg maker program(RM2K3 ACE sprites are boring tbh).

The community would be nice and give people to share sprites. Meaning you essentially steal there character and make it yours in a short comic. That is what I liked about that site I saw but that site is officially dead.

You could even add music to the comics. The program is super simple a five year old could it.

Anyway its just an idea... a 10% idea.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you link the site? I'm not sure I understand.
Actually, don't link the site. I don't feel like dealing with viruses and malware again soon.

I've made custom sprites for RPG Maker before and I always found it to be a pain in the ass.

If you're creating GIFs, you can't add music to a GIF file. Unless you're talking about on the webpage itself?

It sounds like it would be a lot of work for anyone involved, including regular users. And also requires members to own RPG Maker, apparently?

If you're interested in creating a sprite based roleplay site, maybe find a programmer who could create a web-based sort of RPG Maker knock-off specifically for role playing (so without the extra world-building tools).

Then again, it sounds a lot easier to just go RP in a free MMORPG.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reluctant to post this idea because I know sprite comics in general are low quality. A web based program would be totally awesome but make it even harder.

And no the members wouldn't have to have it. It would just be the feature on the website that might make it unique. You could make whatever kind of comics you wanted.

The RP is like any old RP, you keep it in a forum.

The key to the site, what I liked, is that people in that community in general included each other in their comics.

Honestly that's all I really cared about on that site is to see people working together making comics, or just shitty sprite comics. It gave me a sense that they were somewhat tight knit.
JFD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care much about sprite comics. It always seemed a bit "low-budget" to me :p

On the other hand, the idea of a website where comic artists cooperate into making individual comics that cross over one another sounds interesting. I know of a couple of novel collections that work that way here in Quebec (teen novels, mostly).
Ronin Glen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter much to me either way but it seems like there are a billion "communities" on the internet that ebb and flow in membership and an equal number of crap sprite comics. It hardly seems worth the effort which may be why that other site is officially dead.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like an interesting idea to me. Not so much for creating comics that everyone in the world would enjoy, but as a community activity. I know people who would probably get a kick out of it.

A word of caution. Actually creating the rpg and otherwise supporting the site, would probably not allow any time for the person running things to do much in the way of comic making.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site was RPGWW. The site was alive for a few years. Now I don't think they even have the webcomics anymore.

Anyway, this sat on me for awhile. While it would lovely, screw it. I have decided to do something else.

I have ripped apart sprites and put them in animation program. I have 8 characters currently. They are all from Rpg Maker 2000 resources and are Final Fantasy 7 character. I then put them back together as bones and I can use them in Toon Boom Studio. So basically I'm working on a little animation project.

They've been around for awhile I just wanted to do my own. That way I don't have to rely on RPG Maker or GIF making. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: