TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greeting from a newbie!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antimatter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Greeting from a newbie! Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm new around here so just wanted to drop a post to say HI Very Happy I'm a Physics student who, apparently, chose the wrong major... I love to draw and can't live without drawing! Any Science/Engineering majors/graduates around here?

I have no webcomic or anything but I do have a facebook page... Please drop by and say hi at www.facebook.com/antimattercomics anytime!
n9uxu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the chuckle (Friday's was my favorite).

Per your question, I'm a chem degree holder running a flow cytometry lab doing webcomics that have almost nothing to do with science.

Dave

Also be sure to read ttallan's
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums! Hahah, I love the one on Shrodinger's cat. Very Happy And, sad to say, I can actually relate to the bomb threat comic (my reaction was also similar to yours, hahaha).

I love your art style, so looks like I'm going to follow your page. (I rarely "like" anything on Facebook, since I don't like being overloaded with spam.)

I really considered going into science, specifically marine biology, but decided to go into programming instead. It's closer to home, since I'm in the middle of the U.S. I kind of wish I did go into some sort of science, but there's a lot of things I know I'd be happy doing in life, so it's hard for me to choose. Maybe I'll go back to school for it someday.

So I'm not a science major, but I have an interest in it. Very Happy

Have you seen sci-ence.org? They do science-themed webcomics there too.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I do enjoy the look of complete crogglement on people's faces when I tell them I took two years of Astrophysics.

(...and was miserable at it, but that's beside the point.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comic, I like the visual style. Are you planning to host it somewhere, or is it going to stay on facebook?

I'm just pulling into my last year of a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering myself, though I'm about 5-10 years older than most of my classmates, heh.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AAS in Electronic Engineering Technology among my degrees. Yes, it is an unaccredited Associates from a technical school, but I can still build a computer from its component parts (the chips, not the boards), while a liberal arts doctor can...draw the computer...I guess? Maybe describe it if he's a lit major?

Anyway, went back to school, got an AA in Liberal Arts (general) and am three semesters shy of a degree in Secondary Education (English).

I get a kick out of people who think math and art are mutually exclusive. Math is just a language, after all...a means of describing ideas. This is why so many of the theories and hypotheses that are based on esoteric math get overturned and disproven. The undefinable terms make the description soft and subject to re-evaluation (this is why most of the natural sciences won't really accept a theory as valid until it has been proven by experimentation and reproduction of results).

I wouldn't turn my back on Physics just yet, if I were you. Use your free electives (colleges still have those, right?) to expand and improve your art skills through instruction. I think you'll find the art experience helps you to visualize and realize the various conundra your science education will present you.
Antimatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:

I love your art style, so looks like I'm going to follow your page. (I rarely "like" anything on Facebook, since I don't like being overloaded with spam.)

Aww thank you so much!

ttallan wrote:
Welcome!

I do enjoy the look of complete crogglement on people's faces when I tell them I took two years of Astrophysics.

(...and was miserable at it, but that's beside the point.)

Astrophysics is tough! I'm doing my Astronomy concentration right now and never get anything else but C's in those Astro courses....

Kail wrote:
Nice comic, I like the visual style. Are you planning to host it somewhere, or is it going to stay on facebook?

It will stay only on Facebook for now. Until I have money to pay the hosting site Confused

Casual Notice wrote:

I wouldn't turn my back on Physics just yet, if I were you.

It's too late to turn back. Next semester will be my senior year Sad

And thank you everybody for the warm welcome Embarassed
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I'm a software engineer, but many engineers don't consider that "real" engineering... Razz
physicist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered your comic and it's hilarious Smile I'm following you by RSS. It's great to find science-oriented comics other than the archifamous phdcomics, xkcd, etc Please keep drawing them! I will share them with other colleagues physicists.
physicist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you don't have comments enabled on your site. Why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: