TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comics Sherpa - The good, bad, ugly?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marooned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Comics Sherpa - The good, bad, ugly? Reply with quote

So myself and Steve Ogden of Croaker's Gorge decided to take the plunge and put out the $60 for a 6-month trail of ComicsSherpa.com.

We had heard that it was a great way to get exposure to a large audience as well as network with other cartoonists. A few cartoonists who had been on there had really raved about how it helped jumpstart their readership.

Both Steve and I have been initially quite disappointed in the results. While neither one of us expected people to come beating down our door, I think we both expected a bit more than we're getting.

Initially I got 8 subscribers on joining and had 150ish hits on the comic. That has drastically dropped to 60ish a day and 5 subscribers dropped off pretty much right away. Plus, there doesn't really seem to be any networking tools, unless you want to contact someone directly. There are no forums or anything like that.

Statistics are very minimalistic at best. Users can fill out a form and contact you, but I have yet to be contacted by a Sherpa user.

Again - we didn't expect to be something other than a way to get some exposure in addition to other avenues. But I certainly expected it to get me at least more exposure than I'm getting on my own - which I am getting for pretty much free. Today I've got close to 200 visitors and 550+pageviews - this blows away Sherpa, which I paid $60 to be in and supposedly has this vast exposure to comic readers.

It seems as though at one point, Sherpa might have been a good deal. But they don't appear to be promoting the site at all or doing anything to help the artists - it's really nothing more than a DrunkDuck you pay for.

So, comments? Anyone been on there and had something to report good or bad? I'd really be interested to hear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly have my own site, we were only interested in it as a way to supplement visitors. But I agree with your assessment. And somehow, I missed the fact that the users have to pay, I don't know why. I probably would not have signed up had I realized that.

I've also heard their post-signup service is real bad, although I've had no issues as of yet.

I can only hope it will at least attract a handful of readers I can hang onto after the 6 month window, because there's no way I'll renew.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the key difference is that you are listed in conjunction with syndicated comics. The idea is that you get access to those readers, people who are apparently looking for new comics. Plus you supposedly get the eye of the syndicates who can at least take a look at what is there.

Personally, I don't put any stock in the "eye of the syndicate" thing, I was mainly interested in exposure to different readers. TBH, if a syndicate actually came to me and offered me a small starting gig, I doubt I would be able to take it anyway. There's no way I could support a family on it and I wouldn't have time to do a daily. So that was not an issue for me.

Anyway, like I said, we're both pretty disappointed and I think you can see why. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had a positive experience with these guys recently. Doesn't seem like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe. Yeah, I agree on the roll of the dice thing. It's very true.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dutch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: