TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers (check first)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Site Problems / Broken Comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funnyninjas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured this would be the right place to post, since this might be a question other people have had:

When you send a PM, does it stay in the Outbox until the recipent has read the message? Thats what I gathered, since a few messages to a guy that isn't on the forum any more are still in the Outbox.

As a follow-up, if you delete these while they are still in the Outbox, will they be sent, or deleted? I mean, if the other person hasn't logged on, or even check his/her PMs, then would you be able to delete them? I was just thinking that this could be useful for either typos, or if you have an edit you'd like to make clearer.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shinka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: info on updates Reply with quote

Hi,
My site used to be fine...but now even if I changed the url the updates don't appear anymore.... say...not checked for updates! why...?
there's no flash and it's all fine for the qualification required etc...

I'm confused...
jdalton
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Crawler compatibility Reply with quote

jreinsch wrote:
You need the following code in your main page:

Code:
 <!-- Last Update: 28/03/2008 -->

Where 28/03/2008 is the date of the most recent update.

PROTIP!
If you use ComicPress to power your site, I've found a way to do this automatically. In your Theme Functions file (functions.php) insert the following code in the comic_display() function:

Code:
  $WCLDate = mysql2date('d/m/Y', $post->post_date);
  echo "<!-- Last Update: $WCLDate -->\n";

Do it just above the other "echo" command, as that is where the comic is actually displayed. Refresh your page and look at the source code, and you will find the crawler's comment inserted automagically. I've been using this tweak for months without issues.

EDIT: for some reason my sig isnt showing up... but if you want to see the code in action check my site, which should have been linked by it.

http://close-to-the-chest.com/

Okay clearly I am stupid when it comes to coding but I can't even find the comic_display() bit in my comicpress' functions.php. Can anyone point be to where I might find it?

S*P*Q*R
-Io-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Crawler compatibility Reply with quote

jreinsch wrote:
You need the following code in your main page:

Code:
 <!-- Last Update: 28/03/2008 -->

Where 28/03/2008 is the date of the most recent update.

PROTIP!
If you use ComicPress to power your site, I've found a way to do this automatically. In your Theme Functions file (functions.php) insert the following code in the comic_display() function:

Code:
  $WCLDate = mysql2date('d/m/Y', $post->post_date);
  echo "<!-- Last Update: $WCLDate -->\n";

Do it just above the other "echo" command, as that is where the comic is actually displayed. Refresh your page and look at the source code, and you will find the crawler's comment inserted automagically. I've been using this tweak for months without issues.

Does anyone know where to put this in the newest version of comic press (2.Cool?
calculator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Crawler compatibility Reply with quote

-Io- wrote:

Does anyone know where to put this in the newest version of comic press (2.Cool?

Here's what I've come up with, and it seems to work great for the newer versions of Comicpress: adding the following code to my index.php page, right after <div id="comic">:

Code:
<?php echo "<!-- Last Update:"; the_time('M jS, Y'); echo "-->\n"; ?>
spinn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Crawler compatibility Reply with quote

Not sure if it matters, but that'll make:

<!-- Last Update: Jan 10th, 2010 -->

...which isn't clear whether the bot will pick that up. Excellent job of burying that bit of documentation, admins!
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Crawler compatibility Reply with quote

spinn wrote:
Excellent job of burying that bit of documentation, admins!

Uh, what?
I'm not sure what you mean there.

By the sound of it, it was working with Comic Press previous to the latest update at their end, which broke the crawler's ability to read the site. I'm not sure what documentation you'd be talking about. There's been no change to the crawler. The only people that have been changing anything is the Comic Press team, unless of course those are the admins you're talking about. The crawler still works the same way and any fixes that anybody came up with are available here in the forum.

There's no burying here.

Blog
spinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I mean:

I go to my comic listing a few days ago, and it says "pattern not matching". Okay, there's no archive url, and the FAQ page says, it needs to get the last update from the archive URL. Doesn't really make sense to me, because I would've expected like it needed an RSS feed, but okay. I make an archive page and give it the link.

Couple days later I check and it says "Not Checked For Updates". And the explanation is, "any number of reasons." So it takes a bunch of searching through the main site to find nothing, and then finally to come to this forum to find it needs a specific comment in the page. Which I add, but now there's no indication whether or not adding that to the archive page will fix the problem.

Then there's this person posting a comment with the 'M jS, Y' format, rather than the 'd/m/Y' format that was at the beginning of the thread, and I'd like to go verify the date format but it doesn't seem to be officially listed anywhere in the 150px column that contains actual content on the main site.

So yeah, when all it would take is a line saying "the archive page should have <!-- etc --> comment to get the last update", it's pretty buried.

edit: and then on re-reading, I realize it's not the archive page at all, but the main page. Just don't know why this info isn't right in the faq under "here's the message you get when our crawler can't figure out when your last update was."
gen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Comic Directories not found Reply with quote

I am having issues with wordpress's webcomic plug-in...I think this is the right place to ask to help?? ^^;;

I can upload the comics and do everything but when I try to go to next, previous, or a different comic page on my website I get an error saying it cannot find the comic and to try a previous comic and shows thumbnails of my past strips. Even though I click on these thumbnails I get the same page.

I remember in the tutorial video he clicked on the directory link and a page showed up. I think that might be where my problem is generated (possibly a missing directories link?) but i have no idea how to fix it...
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's WebComic and not ComicPress you're using I suggest talking to LunarZero on here.

He'll be able to sort you out. : )

Blog
funnyninjas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking around his google page, and found his website. From his website, I saw a video at the bottom of his homepage. If you are using that software, that video seemed pretty helpful. Here is the link to his site, and a link to video on Vimeo). The Vimeo video seems to have other related videos as well.

Hope it helps!
alessandro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my webcomic I do use the wordpress platform.. which seem don't allow me modify php scripting.
Since I've set to show only one strip per page I thought this way would work:

put the code
Code:
<!-- Last Update: 18/06/2010 -->

directly in the post, so I can use the shedule system to make appear the exact date of the scheduled strip.
The status is still "Not Checked For Updates" and I would like to know if this way would work... also if the crawler take in account only the home page (otherwise it would the old update codes for the previous post).

btw: tomorrow (1Cool will appear my next strip which change the "!last update" code.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComicPress 2.9.2.20 will have this:

Code:

<!-- Last Update: <?php the_time('M jS, Y'); ?> // -->

In the header, so you won't have to worry about re-adding it every time.

- Phil[/code]
Detlef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Advertisment Reply with quote

3 days ago I paid the 15 dollars to advertise my comic on top of the webcomiclist index, but it doesn't seem to be there. Nor do I have a a sudden spike in my daily views.

So does it take some time to process the payment or is it something else...?

The webcomic was Zombie Waffe
oppernaR
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advertisment Reply with quote

Detlef wrote:
3 days ago I paid the 15 dollars to advertise my comic on top of the webcomiclist index, but it doesn't seem to be there. Nor do I have a a sudden spike in my daily views.

So does it take some time to process the payment or is it something else...?

The webcomic was Zombie Waffe

Hi Detlef,
Unfortunately this is a question we can't help you with.
Could you please send this question to ash@thewebcomiclist.com ?
They should be able to help you out in no time (hopefully).

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Site Problems / Broken Comics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: