TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my comic, good enough to read?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exoventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Is my comic, good enough to read? Reply with quote

A couple months back I started working on my webcomic. Here's a few of the finished pages. (Gotta admit, I'm a fur. Please pass the 'Eww furry,' judgement that way ;-;. (If it makes you anymore comfortable no NSFW type stuff).) (Comic is going to be a gay romance. So if you're not comfortable with reading that kind of stuff, you're still safe. Somewhere down the line, this will become like that though.)

(Do you think this reads well?) (Like do you think the text font is bad? Do you think, the coloring is weird?) Stuff like that.[/img]
Imaginalex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's clear and readable, i'd'say i saw much worse than this being published on webcomics sites, it's not bad at all.

first impression is, first panels didn't flow perfectly well but all the rest was understandable and pretty fluid, i got lost a little in the beginning but it takes a few panel to understand your story telling workflow and from there it speeds up pretty well. (the first page you wonder what is happening until you get to the 2nd and from there, it flows well )
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the coloring style and the handwritten font (I *really* like that handwritteny font : D). The main, all-caps dialogue font is a little hard to read--I'd suggest finding something that isn't slightly italicized, doesn't have serifs, and that doesn't feel as sort of widely (mostly vertically, I guess) spaced. Or just go all in with the handwritten font instead, it is really cool.

The story is a little hard to follow between what I guess are separate pages--the presentation, in terms of things like color, shading, framing, and fonts and word balloons, seems to change between each page, to the point where it can be tough to tell whether or not the action in a page is taking place in the same scene as what happened on the previous page.

Being a little more explicit in showing the movement of characters from place to place would help too--as it is, they seem to sort of teleport from spot to spot, with no hint in their body language that they're starting to move, or completing a move, so that can be a little confusing.

I was also thrown by a couple dialogue transitions. The cat's "SHUTUP. Please just shutup..." runs abruptly into the dog's "Tea my leige [sp]," and it's a little tricky to tell that this is still the same conversation; at first I thought maybe we had time-jumped from or into a flashback or something.

And the cat's "Please will you still--" is a little confusing; it doesn't seem directly related to their earlier conversation; the dog hadn't promised to do anything that would be referred to by "still."

Oh and in the "I want to leave," "Please," "Please get me outta here" part, it's tough to tell from just the close-up of the muzzle in the first panel who is speaking, and in the second panel, it looks like the dog is speaking since they're the only one shown, and there is no tail on the dialogue, but I guess the "Please" is actually from the cat--took me a little while to figure out that sequence.

And there were a few other panels where it was a little hard for me to tell which character I was looking at; in the "My leige [sp]... Are yo--" panel, the dog character's head is drawn very similarly to how the cat character is drawn.

Also, don't forget to spell check! : D "Leige" should be "liege," for instance.

But anyway, like Imaginalex said, I see no reason *not* to put this out as a webcomic--you'll probably be able to get a lot more feedback that way, and that will help inspire you to continue to improve and hone your craft, which is one of the best things about webcomics. You only get better by actually doing the work! ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: I like the Style Reply with quote

I really love the style and perspective that you use in the some of panels for this but I did find the action difficult to follow at points. Smbhax.com covered most of what I saw in depth, so i'm not going to retread that tire. Just as an example though, I thought this scene only had two people in it, but the smoking "hey there" bunny pops up suddenly, I wasn't sure if he'd been there or just came in to the room/scene or what exactly he was talking about...

Anyhoo, great start and good luck as you start your webcomic journey Wink
Exoventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses! I'm currently working on some more pages @.@ I'll try to see what I can do about the characters kinda moving awkwardly from frame to frame lol. As for the handwritten font I actually handwrite it on a cintiq hehehe. Glad to see that it didn't detract from the comic.
(Thank you Kyle Brushes)
I don't want to make everything handwritten though x.x I'll try to find another font, and change it before I officially post them on a site.
Thank you for the tips!
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try one of those programs that converts your handwriting into a font, too. : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: