TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new website for self-publishing comics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nimloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: A new website for self-publishing comics Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm Christopher and I'm new here. I was pointed to WCL by some friends as a good place to find comic creators Smile

For the past few years I've spent all my spare time along with some friends building a new platform for creators to publish their comics (and earn money) online, and I was very much hoping I could get some thoughts and feedback from the good people at WCL.

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions are very welcome!

The website is GlobalComix.com, and a nice FAQ could be found here: https://globalcomix.com/support/faq

Looking forward to seeing what you guys think! Give me your best and worst!

Best,

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viewer is kind of impressive on a technical level but I found it confusing at first, since it doesn't operate like most webcomics:

- Being in "Interactive" mode, which locked me into one small panel, by default, was pretty weird--and at first it was hard to tell what was going on.

- I was reading a comic with I guess just 1 page episodes or whatnot, so the thing in the center of the navigation buttons up top said "1 of 1"--which made me assume the navigation buttons weren't going to do anything, since there would be no other page to go to, according to that readout. Eventually I discovered they did work and moved between all the "1 of 1" segments. : P But their gray color and lack of any explanatory text made them look grayed-out and inactive.

- When I flip to a new page in my PC browser, the page's art loads in blurry and faded, then flickers abruptly and pops into full focus and intensity. It gets a little tiresome sitting through this blinking process with every page turn.

- I couldn't find a zoom level that would fit the pages of the comic I was reading--either they were about 20% too big, or 35% too small.

- On the creator level, I didn't find the promise of PayPal donation/subscriptions functionality particularly compelling in these days of more sophisticated things like Patreon--and other free webcomic host sites having Patreon integration. Also, are these the PayPal personal fundraising donations that come with the following note from PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/fundraising#lightboxPricing

Quote:
Please note: Fundraisers that are not verified nonprofits will be asked to demonstrate how their donations will be used, once they raise more than $10,000.

? Because that would end up being a problem for big earners.

- The "page credits" monetization scheme is new to me. If someone paid for x number of credits for the purpose of reading my paywalled comic pages, and happened also to go look at another comic, if that other comic also had paywalled pages, would the reader be warned that they were about to spend their page credits there if they proceeded?

Also, I'm a little surprised there isn't any mention of the page credits system on the front page of the site, along with the descriptions of other key site functions.

- The 35% share (plus whatever the "Payout Fee" ends up being) taken by GlobalComics seems quite high. Much higher than Patreon--my last month of Patreon, for instance, was only about 8% eaten up by fees.

- "Prices for using the Service are subject to change. Notice of such change may be provided at any time by posting the changes to the Service on globalcomix.com." -- My eyebrows raised a bit more at this. For a service of this type, I would expect to receive an email--both ahead of time and when the change was implemented--when something that important changed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great feedback, thanks!

smbhax.com wrote:
The viewer is kind of impressive on a technical level but I found it confusing at first, since it doesn't operate like most webcomics:

- Being in "Interactive" mode, which locked me into one small panel, by default, was pretty weird--and at first it was hard to tell what was going on.

- I was reading a comic with I guess just 1 page episodes or whatnot, so the thing in the center of the navigation buttons up top said "1 of 1"--which made me assume the navigation buttons weren't going to do anything, since there would be no other page to go to, according to that readout. Eventually I discovered they did work and moved between all the "1 of 1" segments. : P But their gray color and lack of any explanatory text made them look grayed-out and inactive.

Noted -- yea the page count is a little wonky still for single page releases/issues. We'll look at a better way of displaying this in the near future!

Quote:
- When I flip to a new page in my PC browser, the page's art loads in blurry and faded, then flickers abruptly and pops into full focus and intensity. It gets a little tiresome sitting through this blinking process with every page turn.

Noted. We load the thumbnail version first, and the full page asset when we've verified that there's no paid credits missing to read. We'll make it so this only happens on paid releases in the near future, thanks for flagging!

Quote:
- I couldn't find a zoom level that would fit the pages of the comic I was reading--either they were about 20% too big, or 35% too small.

Yeah -- we're actively working on a much better zoom system for pages that don't have the interactive panels set up. This is on the top of our list of things to resolve, asap.

Quote:
- On the creator level, I didn't find the promise of PayPal donation/subscriptions functionality particularly compelling in these days of more sophisticated things like Patreon--and other free webcomic host sites having Patreon integration. Also, are these the PayPal personal fundraising donations that come with the following note from PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/fundraising#lightboxPricing

Please note: Fundraisers that are not verified nonprofits will be asked to demonstrate how their donations will be used, once they raise more than $10,000.

We don't actually use Paypal subscriptions or donations. We use stripe to process payments into the platform. All earned income (from content or donations) are paid out as merchant revenue via Paypal, and we are looking at adding a few more methods of pay-out very shortly.

Quote:
- The "page credits" monetization scheme is new to me. If someone paid for x number of credits for the purpose of reading my paywalled comic pages, and happened also to go look at another comic, if that other comic also had paywalled pages, would the reader be warned that they were about to spend their page credits there if they proceeded?

We're looking to add this type of display when we release paid publishing to everyone. It's currently only in closed beta.

Quote:
Also, I'm a little surprised there isn't any mention of the page credits system on the front page of the site, along with the descriptions of other key site functions.

That's because it's not fully launched yet - it's all in closed beta testing atm Smile

Quote:
- The 35% share (plus whatever the "Payout Fee" ends up being) taken by GlobalComics seems quite high. Much higher than Patreon--my last month of Patreon, for instance, was only about 8% eaten up by fees.

The payout fee for US based paypal users is $0.25, and up to a max of $20 for intl users. We don't charge any additional fees on top of that. We're also looking to add more payout options very soon.

Quote:
- "Prices for using the Service are subject to change. Notice of such change may be provided at any time by posting the changes to the Service on globalcomix.com." -- My eyebrows raised a bit more at this. For a service of this type, I would expect to receive an email--both ahead of time and when the change was implemented--when something that important changed.

Yes - this type of information will also be emailed and announced as you would expect Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
REDemptioncomic2017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another site to check out...thanks! Sounds pretty cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: