TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REDemption: Post-apocalyptic Zombie Fiction Meets D&D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDemptioncomic2017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: REDemption: Post-apocalyptic Zombie Fiction Meets D&D Reply with quote

Hi, everyone! I know that a lot of the "check out my comic" posts have art to go with them. As of this moment I don't, but it is on the way! At any rate, I thought I would sum up my story for the time being. FYI, since I have the space to do it, this is a lot longer than an "elevator" pitch, although I am capable of summing it up faster if need be!

It is set in the 22nd Century. Most of the world has been ravaged by a zombie virus (created, as we learn in the prologue, as a biological weapon during the Vietnam War). In the US, they were able to avert the crisis when it hit the West Coast by keeping people back with brute military force while the government slowly built a "quarantine wall" to hold the infected back. (I swear, this was HALF A DECADE before Trump started talking about HIS wall.)

Over time, the West Coast becomes a lawless land where survivor groups fight over land, supplies, and just about anything else. One of these groups is led by a woman named Molly Burroughs, who is about as fierce as they come. Molly and her group look around their hometown (Springvale, California) for other survivors to add to their team. (They look for people who are solo or small in numbers, figuring such people would be grateful for protection and not likely to betray them.)

During one of these rescue missions, they come across a couple named Harry and Maggie. The woman is eight months pregnant. Due to an unfortunate series of events, she gets bitten. They figure this means the baby will turn as well. Molly's second-in-command (a man known only as Doc) defies her orders to destroy the baby and delivers it, finding out it is a boy...and human.

Over the first few days of the baby's life, Doc suspects that the baby did indeed contract the zombie virus, but he seems to be fighting it off. If he is immune, then he could save humankind.

But how do they prove it? And if he is, how do they manufacture an antidote? And if they do, how do they distribute it?

These three questions drive the bulk of the story. I say it's "zombie fiction meets Dungeons and Dragons" because there is a group of heroes who head out on a quest, much like a lengthy D&D campaign. This consists of many side adventure that the group encounters while in pursuit of their main objective. Last but not least, the team is built along the same lines as a D&D group, with a mix of character "classes" and "races," although in the case of the story it means people who have different jobs and ethnicities. Example:

Molly, caucasian female, strong in hand-to-hand/melee/firearm combat ("Knight")
Doc, caucasian male, doctor ("Cleric")
Ted, African American, computer expert (no exact correlation here)
Jackson, Chinese (with a name like that...most likely adopted), mechanic (since he specializes in hotwiring cars, his class correlation would be "Thief")

And so on. I wanted this story to be to zombie fiction what KILL BILL was to kung fu movies. By that I mean I took everything I love about the genre and threw it into a blender. What emerged may seem similar to things you have read or seen before in that it revisits similar tropes, but hopefully I created something that has my own voice and isn't just a blatant ripoff. I think I accomplished my goal. Whether others agree is up to them.

I'm very excited to get it out there not just for the story itself, but because I think it could create some interesting results in the future, like if I open the universe up to other creative teams. For example, let's say someone wishes we knew more about Jackson. Well, if a writer and artist want to create a comic dealing with his backstory, I'm all for it!

At any rate, that's what I've been up to. Forgive the long-winded nature, but what can I say? I am excited about this story...and if you can't get this worked up over your own creation, why bother with it?
REDemptioncomic2017

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after the long wait, the webcomic is here!!!

https://redemptionwebcomic.wordpress.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: