TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I'm curious. What makes you interested/hooked on a comic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sketch3r

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: So, I'm curious. What makes you interested/hooked on a comic Reply with quote

When you take a first glance on the cover of a comic or read the first pages, what is it that get's you hooked or interested? For me personally it is the prospect of a great story or just the artstyle itself. Please tell me what you find interesting in a new comic that you're getting into.
Tait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that subject matter and tone are probably the biggest things that get me interested in a comic. Artwork/style would be a close second.

I'm more likely to be interested in fantasy or sci-fi stories although I will read other genres as well.
AnonMa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm interested in anything that has a nice atmosphere, i'll read something just because i like the characters and want to see more from them

or anything that can surprise me, i tend to guess whats going to happen ahead of time most of the time in plots, i don't hate things that are predictable, but anything that can catch me off guard instantly gets my attention
The Putto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story..story...story.

Plus, I am weak when it comes to an awesome bit of cover work/design.
orbispelagium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a distinct, memorable cast really helps, along with an emphasis on interesting/funny character interaction among them.

It also helps a lot if worldbuilding exposition is pared down to what the characters know and care about.

One of the comics that hooked me the fastest was Job Satisfaction, a charming comic about demon summoners getting by with houseguests and bad clients.
GlassRain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty art, funny writing, or both.

When trying a new comic, if it doesn't grab me immediately, I'll read at least the first 20 strips. If you don't get to a good hook by that point -- even if the summary sounded cool and exciting -- I'm out.
kyrtuck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting designs, characters and setting, I'd say.
aria99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: So, I'm curious. What makes you interested/hooked on a c Reply with quote

Sketch3r wrote:
When you take a first glance on the cover of a comic or read the first pages, what is it that get's you hooked or interested? For me personally it is the prospect of a great story or just the artstyle itself. Please tell me what you find interesting in a new comic that you're getting into.

For me the most important thing is the story and the characters. Even if the artwork is sub-par I'll read the comic till the end if the story and characters are captivatiting enough. Although there are some comics I buy just for the beautiful art- example Jim Lee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: