TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When and why did Nick Fury become black?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
comicracy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: When and why did Nick Fury become black? Reply with quote

I thought Nick Fury was a white dude, whats going on, I havent been in the whole comic scene for the past five years so when and for what reasons did Nick Fury become Samuel L Jackson?

Free Online Comic Books Contest- Free Online Comics Creator Website
comic links
Murdaugh
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this.
Lord Pandar
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing they didn't go the "Ultimate" route with Iron Man himself, or else we'd be watching explanations of how Tony Stark's body is made entirely out of brains & nano-gorillas.

S*P*Q*R
lead sharp

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Pandar wrote:
It's a good thing they didn't go the "Ultimate" route with Iron Man himself, or else we'd be watching explanations of how Tony Stark's body is made entirely out of brains & nano-gorillas.

Another reason I wasn't keen on the ultimate line BUT they disguise Fury as a black guy with an eye patch in the New Avengers current issue which I thought was a chortle.
Lance Icarus

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ultimate series. If you actually see that version of Nick Fury in a comic, it seems like Nick Fury was based off of Samuel L. Jackson. It's the perfect casting.
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lead sharp wrote:
Another reason I wasn't keen on the ultimate line

To be fair, the main Marvel line can also get pretty out there. I vaguely recall a recent story arc (might have been one of the Avengers series) in which Iron Man was nano-morphed into a floating naked metal lady.

S*P*Q*R
lead sharp

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Pandar wrote:
lead sharp wrote:
Another reason I wasn't keen on the ultimate line

To be fair, the main Marvel line can also get pretty out there. I vaguely recall a recent story arc (might have been one of the Avengers series) in which Iron Man was nano-morphed into a floating naked metal lady.

That was the recent Ultima story in the Mighty Avengers funny as hell and yes very far out there Smile

My beef with the Ultimate series is, for me it started out feeling cheap somehow. If you read All Star Superman (when it dains to come out) it feels fresh and new and frankly everything Superman should be and it's created by two geniuses. Marvel should have done that with X-Men and Spider-Man when they came out.

It's just a personal thing.
jaybob81

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for Will Smith, but Sam Jackson is good enough I suppose. Yay Ultimate line. Wink

Nonsense!
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay ultimate line!!!
Zaron

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the concept behind the ultimate universe, but my opinions on the ultimate versions of the heroes and villains varies greatly from character to character.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez. Were people like Comicracy this upset when Harvey Dent was played by Billie Dee Williams? It's a fictional character who can be constantly re-interpreted and re-invented.

Someone actually was whining to me when the 2000s Ninja Turtles came on about "Blackster Stockman," and how he was a sell out ethnicified character forced on us by networks who, in these politically correct times, made the show turn him black. Then I said, "uhm... actually he was originally black." I think his brain exploded.

Now I'm not inferring racism. There is just a sort of a general "well, the fictional character wasn't like that before, so it shouldn't be now" mentality that some people have. The same goes for female Starbuck and Boomer on Battlestar Galactica.

However, what I AM INFERRING is that Comicracy might be David Hasselhoff, who is deeply upset that he wasn't brought back to play Fury.

http://homebasecomics.com
Zaron

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the mindset that changes should not be made to a character unless it somehow improves them. Jarvis in Iron Man, for example, was changed to an AI system because butlers are not very common these days, especially in America. However, a lot of characters like Nick Fury just seem to be getting their race changed for the hell of it, probably because Marvel is feeling pressure that their predominantly white cast of heroes will make them seem racist, so they're using whatever opportunities they have to pad the Marvel universe with black people. Of course, a much better solution would be to actually write new characters who are black to begin with, but there are very, very few Marvel characters anyone cares about that are less than twenty years old.
Think think think...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My beef with the Ultimate series is, for me it started out feeling cheap somehow.

Yeah, nineties Todd-McFarlane-knock-offs-with-glitter-covers cheap.

The whole push was about better writing starting from scratch... but the artwork was still highly-talented, yet familiarly uninspired assembly-line draw-the-marvel-way stuff.

I loved Ultimate Fantastic Four during the run that it was photographically rendered and toned down to short, almost believably impossible events. The same thing for the early run of the current she-hulk. It really adds to certain superheroes somehow, a dynamic of feeling like you know the characters, rather than watching them do stuff.
EvilCouch
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather enjoy Ultimate Avengers, mainly because I'm a huge fan of superhero deconstructionism.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason is this:

Seriously. Samuel L (F######) Jackson is just way cooler than The Hoff.

But most likely it was because almost everyone in the marvel universe tends to be white. (because they could get away with that back then)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: