TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi! Requesting feedback for my relatively new comic. :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ypirouz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Hi! Requesting feedback for my relatively new comic. :) Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm new here, and looking to spread word on my comic Torus Link that's been online now for about 15 months.
It's an inter-dimensional adventure with romance, tragedy, comedy, drama, action, and relationships at its heart...
Two sides of the story which interconnect accross the dimensions...
Influenced by manga and anime meeting western animation with a LOT OF COLOR...
And a semi-autobiographical tale which incorporates the themes of elements, magic, and art, as the eight main characters uncover the ancient secret that keeps their worlds apart, and strive to follow their own true paths.

In a nutshell, this is my HEART'S PASSION and a comic that's going to run for a while. I have a huge message that I want to get out there to people by doing it.

My question for you all out there is, what do you think of it?
What grabs you? Repels you?
What do you think of the split-comic format?
Suggestions? Comments on the story so far?

I'm looking for new readers and commenters, and I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you so much! Excited to learn, share, and be here! Very Happy

-YP
ypirouz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: The link Reply with quote

Here is a link to my comic: http://toruslink.com/

And here is a preview of one of the pages:
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the art, especially in the latest bunch of "B" pages--the sketchy lines, subtle yet hard-edged coloring, and organic word balloons are working well together--and the characters and expressions are lively and clear.

The "choose a side" thing at the beginning was a little off-putting; I guess it makes me worry that I'm missing something somehow, and it seems like getting how they tie back and forth would involve a lot of *clicking* back and forth, which is asking a lot of the reader. It could be pretty hard to follow.

I was thinking that the way to have the cake and eat it too might be to put both A and B versions of a page side-by-side together--but I guess they'd probably be a bit too wide that way.

Another thought was just alternating the A and B pages, so clicking through you would come to 1A, then 1B, etc... And then you could update on two days a week (just one side per update, I mean)! But upon second thought I guess that would make both stories hard to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile interesting comic you're making! You better be able to see it through to its completion Evil or Very Mad an unfinished comic is a sad fish.

I agree with smb on the art, it's very nice on the eyes. As far as your plot description goes, it sounds like you have a lot going on, which is great! As far as the dual story goes, I've seen that you have a guideline on how to read the comic on your "about" page (pretty much the way I had intended to read it, too) and while it might be a little convoluted, I don't really have a better suggestion. Sure, you could keep it linear and alternate the worlds by chapter, since it's how you're telling us to read the comic, but I don't know if that will offer the readers an equally clear divide between A and B.

Ultimately, it's up to you - some readers will be put off by the smallest thing and some will stick to the story. Personally, I like the layout, "Choose a side" and all. I like that I can click on the page itself to take me to the next comic, although I would have liked some navigation buttons on top of the comic page as well. I don't really know about anyone else's preferences, since my own comic has like... two readers Very Happy so you probably want to get other (more qualified) people's take on it!
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to think how I might do this, and uh well I don't know if this is doable in WordPress or whatever--probably not, I suppose--but maybe something like this, where you show just a slice of the alternate page, and make that clickable, so clicking it would jump over to the other side (from A to B or vice-versa):

Only the "Read side A" page slice/link would be on the left side of the B page, natch.

(Example comic images brought to you by some semi-random golden age, public domain comic book : p).

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh! One thing I just noticed is that you're uploading your images at a much larger size than they actually appear, which means you're taking up more of your readers' bandwidth than you need to, and also it will take them longer to load the comic, especially if they have a slow connection. Besides which, it means that you're relying on the web browser to scale the image and generate the final version the viewer sees, which means it could come out either blurrier or more pixelated than you might want it to.

For instance, your page 5B is actually a 2,552px 3,348px image, but it is being scaled by your web site's layout to 980px 1,286px. Your site would be faster, and you would have more control over the appearance of the comic image, if you scaled the image down to 980px 1,286px yourself--in Photoshop or whatever you are using--before you uploaded it. (You would probably also want to apply a tiny bit of a Sharpen filter to it to compensate for the blurriness that usually accompanies rescaling an image. For instance, I didn't bother sharpening the comic image in my example graphic above when I shrunk it down from the large original, and as you can see it's a bit blurry. Oh, and spiffy newer versions of Photoshop or whatnot have Sharpen options--which you can select--built right in to their resizing functions these days.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: