TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instagram: good or bad idea?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcinKamil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Instagram: good or bad idea? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, so don't hit me hard if this subject was already on the table. Wink

Do you use Instagram to promote your comics?

Do you post the full strips of just a preview?

I'm asking because I tried both and I don't see much difference in the traffic on my site really.

How is it working for you?

---

Last edited by MarcinKamil on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, and I just post a preview--actually well that's not quite right: I post a cropped version of the art, then also a full version of the art with no captions (it's widescreen, so the full art doesn't necessarily come through that easily on small screens in Instagram). The link to my webcomic is in my bio (you only get one clickable link there, make it count! : D), and recently I've started making explicit mention of that when I post a preview image (like "This is art from the latest page of my webcomic (link in bio)").

I noticed my page hits go up from about 3 K per day to about double that once I started posting on Instagram, so either it's a phenomenal coincidence, or it works rather well for me. Plus, it's free, so you're not losing much except a few minutes of your life making a post, I guess. ^_^

I think maybe (?) click-throughs from Instagram might be hard for trackers to spot, because the clicks come from an app rather than another web page--so they don't have the usual HTTP REFERER URL in their header that gets logged by your web server and read by analytic software to tell you where they came from. Or at least, such is my theory--I don't actually know!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing @smbhax.com.

Well, there is a way of tracking Instagram referrals, but I find it little elegant. :/

I found this article about it: http://caitlinbrehm.com/instagram-referrals-google-analytics/

Actually I thought of another way and I will test it now. I'll update you all if you're interested. Smile

---
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I see. Yeah that looks a bit messy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quite. But I've found out that Google Analytics shows Instagram as a "social" referral, so there is a way of measuring it. Not sure how it works on other platforms.
Eso73

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Instagram: good or bad idea? Reply with quote

MarcinKamil wrote:
Hey everyone!

I'm new here, so don't hit me hard if this subject was already on the table. Wink

Do you use phenq fat burner to lose weight?

Do you post the full strips of just a preview?

I'm asking because I tried both and I don't see much difference in the traffic on my site really.

How is it working for you?

---

If promotion is done correctly on instagram it can drive shitload of traffic.
I have heard people making money selling comics on instagram.
The thing is the traffic should be laser targeted so that it can turn into conversions.
haaaayes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this too. Is it a popular option for webcartoonists? I use facebook and pay to boost my posts when I put my comic up - that usually gets me a load more traffic. Is this an option on instagram, too?
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haaaayes wrote:
I've been thinking about this too. Is it a popular option for webcartoonists? I use facebook and pay to boost my posts when I put my comic up - that usually gets me a load more traffic. Is this an option on instagram, too?

They recently added something for businesses to link to Facebook for I think demographic info on viewers or something, but I haven't seen anything like a pay-for-boost option.

Edit: Ah looks like I was exactly wrong, Instagram has instructional pages saying once you've switched to a business profile you *can* pay to promote your posts: https://m.facebook.com/business/help/1067656009937668 -- although it's all tied in through your Facebook account, and their info pages don't make it clear if the promotion happens through Facebook or through Instagram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: