TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand New to this Site and Webcomics in General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScareGare

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Brand New to this Site and Webcomics in General Reply with quote

This is probably far from the first time you've heard this and this is probably the wrong place to make this post, but I am as new as they come to the webcomic business. Just about a month ago, I started making this webcomic idea of mine a reality, and I only have 10 pages to show for it (It's been a rough month. Regardless, I'm sure that's not a good thing according to what I've heard Embarassed).

To everyone who's experienced in the whole Webcomic thing, what could you tell a new comer that could help him get off the ground?
Bobblit

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and welcome! Smile

I'm not very experienced in the webcomic business either, so I can't give you a lot of advice... but I suppose that the most important thing in making webcomics is to enjoy making them (as in everything else in this life xD).

Why do you think that having only 10 pages when you just started your comic is bad? 10 pages in a month sounds quite good to me; most comics that I read post a page a week.
ScareGare

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I just kept hearing that you have to make an effort to do a page almost daily.

If you'd like to see the pages, I got them right here: http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26119
Bobblit

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A page a day?? That's too much for most comics, especially those with more complicated drawings and full color pages. Perhaps there are comics out there that are so easy to make that you can churn out a page daily, but that isn't the norm. Not even professional webcomics do that! (I mean, I think Drowtales used to update six times a week, but I have no idea how they did that without outright dying. Even Dinosaur Comics updates 3-4 times a week, and the author doesn't even have to draw, just write.) I think 10 pages a month is enough, especially if you're doing this just as a hobby.

I'll take a look at your pages! They look promising, if they're the first you've ever done Very Happy
Harrington AW

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ScareGare!

As far as updating goes, keeping to a regular schedule is more important than how many pages you put out per week. Even if you put out just a page or two per week, as long as you keep to that schedule of putting it out on the same day or days every week, people will get used to checking your site for new pages on those days.

That's my advice, anyway.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScareGare wrote:
I dunno, I just kept hearing that you have to make an effort to do a page almost daily.

If you'd like to see the pages, I got them right here: http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26119

Do you have a web site for them, or are they just here on the forum for now?

As far as doing a page a day, like the others have said, there is no formula for success when it comes to update schedule, except that being able to keep to whatever schedule you tell people you're following probably helps--so from what I have heard other authors say, the big thing is to figure out what schedule you can realistically follow, trying to account for life and the unexpected and all, and of course doing as good a job on each page as you reasonably can. : )
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few comics I know that update daily. I mean, yeah, they exist, but there are a lot more that update two or three times a week instead. If you can keep up with a daily comic without skipping pages or burning out then brilliant, well done, that's awesome.

But if you can't pull that off then that's fine too. There are plenty of popular webcomics out there that update only a couple of days a week, some that only update one day a week and one very successful one I can think of that updates about once a month (but damn is the artwork pretty).

The most important things are consistency and communication. Pick a schedule, stick to it as best you can and if for some reason you're not going to be able to make an update, try and let your readers know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: