TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Man Jim - My Web Comic challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacemanjim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Space Man Jim - My Web Comic challenge Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just to explain I am a very busy graphic artist and have challenged my self to create a monthly web comic. I work a lot so I am allotting time every month to write sketch my pages. The first month I only had time draw two pages worth which was 2 days.

I have added a countdown on the site because I thought it would be a good idea to set a deadline for my self this keeps me in the game as the website is basically my home page on my browser.

I really do hope you like what I have so far and would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards

Jimmy Messer

jimmymesser.com/spacemanjim
hbar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for challenging yourself to do this! I hope it all works out with you being busy and all. Obviously as a graphic artist you have much more experience than me, a self-taught amateur, so I don't feel qualified to comment on much. My one suggestion would just be to fix some typos in the speech bubbles, and maybe work on their sizing. But I've been incredibly sloppy and inconsistent with speech bubbles in my comics -- been called out for it and such -- so I may be hypersensitive. Also perhaps a font change? Just my opinion, and I can't really explain what is off about it, because logically it seems fine.

Anyway, I hope it goes well! I really like the colors by the way. I've a thing for purple and chartreuse.
maxarinkel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it will be a lot of fun. I'm in a similar situation to you, and it's a lot more of a challenge than I thought it would be! Good luck with your comic; I've got it bookmarked.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the art!

As a reader I find the counter annoying and confusing; at first glance, I thought it was an unusually gigantic banner ad, and ignored it as much as I could while scrolling past it. It feels like it slows the page down a little, too. I would really recommend removing it.

It was the "monthly" part that confused me--does this mean you only post one page a month? Or a batch of pages a month? That explanation leaves the potential reader with more questions than answers. Also, if you *are* putting out just a few pages a month, that will generally make it hard to capture a readership. Maybe shoot for at least a page-per-week schedule, if you can, and try to stick to it. Or if you really do need to be more sporadic than that--and you definitely don't want to try to adopt a schedule you can't keep!!--then just tell people that--that pages will go up as often as possible, maybe several per month--and then give them a social network or two--Facebook or Twitter, for instance--where they can follow you and catch a post from you to alert them when you do add a new page. (And you already have an RSS feed, which is good.) In any case, it helps to be as clear as possible about whatever schedule you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: