TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steampunk or Cyberpunk? Anything Punk, really.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parisella

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Steampunk or Cyberpunk? Anything Punk, really. Reply with quote

I know we often use this board to secretly promote our own work, but I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to maybe shift topics of discussion to the work of others.

We've probably heard of "steampunk" and "cyberpunk" lobbed about as near-buzzwords in the discussion of literary sub-types, but I don't think people give enough value to those weird little fringe-categories like "stonepunk - i.e. The Flintsones" or "Dreampunk, i.e. Alice in Wonderland."

See, I'm a big subgenre fan, and I think the distinction/separation of works into loosely defined genres like "Teslapunk" or "Transistorpunk" gives us an interesting way of conceptualizing not just our own work, but the work of others.

So let's talk - I want to know what people think of the whole "punk" classification and whether or not it's appropriate. Or hey, just talk about your favorite "X-Punk" works or genres, and why they tickle your consumerist parts so well.

Me? Well, I've got a bit of a stiffy for steampunk, but it could just be newbie-infatuation with Retribution Falls, and the idea of motley sky pirates. On the other side of the fence, I always liked me some Neuromancer and Snow Crash, but those are all old news. Let's see somebody throw in some names that aren't overused, eh?
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought it would be neat to have punk-punk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the main thing that makes me like steampunk is the fact that you can kind of believe it's possible stuff. like a different branch/timeline of our universe. It's still grounded in reality and logic (with historical aspect like inventions of geniuses like da vinci), and gives us a different angle on what human scientific evolution could have been. Also i believe one of the reason i like it so much is that we don't see a lot of it in popular culture, unlike tradditional fiction like fantasy, sci-fi, etc.

so with that said, steampunk/cyber/tesla kind of go in the same category for the above reason of ''parralel universe'' in my mind so i dont really bother categorizing them and just enjoy the whole of it Wink
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I've always thought it would be neat to have punk-punk.

A society based on the directionless revolution of young people who feel they've been abandoned by society? So, Lord of the Flies with an incomplete grasp of music theory and questionable hair and fashion choices?

I have difficulty with (descriptor)punk. While I find the idea of combining apparently incompatible technologies and sociologies fascinating, it bugs me that people have taken the original cyberpunk name and just replace the "cyber" with whatever strikes their fancy. The original term comes from William Gibson's work, and the punk part specifically refers to the fact that his protagonists tended to be young urban outcasts.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble that complaint, Casual.

I have been known to tag my trilogy Across a Jade Sea, "dieselpunk", even though it has the diesel, but not really any punk.

It may not be entirely appropriate, but it's no worse a designation than any of my other choices.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I openly admit that the difficulty is entirely my own problem. Of course, I also have problems with suburban kids whining about the general ennui of middle-class society (cf. Green Day, Linkin Park) calling themselves punk. (It's really a shame the term "emo" carries such a bad connotation...it suits most modern "punk" much better.)

So, yeah, It's a "me" problem, and not intended to be a slam against anyone writing in the subgenres mentioned.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sympathetic to your position. It's a sloppy use of the language, and I can't blame you for being irked.

The whole problem with this language business, is that it's a form of communication, and so no matter how "correct" you are, it doesn't do you any good if the people on the other end don't understand you. Sad

Which is why I'm more likely to use "dieselpunk" as a tag than "Ruritanian Romance". The second one is closer to being correct, but also way less likely to convey useful information to the average web-surfer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: