TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inspiration and Beginning to Drawing Cartoons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaxkleric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Inspiration and Beginning to Drawing Cartoons Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm really interested in what got people into drawing comics, writing strips and putting up blogs etc. I've started some musings on my blog about what got me started thirty years ago, and hope to add to it over time with whats kept me going for so long.

To start with its the first release of Dr Who on VHS (that's video to the youngsters Smile ), Kenner Star Wars toys and The Atari console cartridge game Bezerk. The post can be found here for those interested: http://mooretoons.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/mooretoons-inspiration-and-beginning.html

Thanks for looking Very Happy
Milknut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started making my first webcomic when I was about eleven because I had a hand-me-down wacom tablet and I had stumbled across what was then drunkduck.com. It has since been bought by Platinum studios and they changed the name. It remains the easiest way to host a webcomic. I started by drawing stories that interested me, and when I got a bit older I got into comedy.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe it was comic books, like I think a friend of mine had some old comics his mom had picked up at a garage sale or something as cheap entertainment, and they were fun and eventually we found out there were more!
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I'm principally a writer. (Although I have been interested and involved in art since I was a kid.)

I had this story that I declared "too hokey for words" and then abandoned. But years later something brought it to mind, and my knowledge having expanded somewhat in the meantime I said, "It may be too hokey for words, but it's no worse than the average anime!"

Shortly thereafter I wanted to test out some new 3D graphic software, and so, with my earlier declaration in mind, I decided to do a couple scenes from this abandoned space pirate story that wasn't really any worse than an anime, and, well... something happened. It came to life, took over my brain and insisted that I tell it using pictures. (Frankly, this is evil. I can tell a story using words alone sooooooo much faster it isn't funny. And I make more money from the results, too.)

But then, (and here's the really weird one), I had finished drawing out storyboards for the space pirate story, and I discovered I missed having something to draw. So in addition to the space pirate story that I was working on in 3D CGI, I also started drawing another totally different story as well.

Since then I've come up with a few other story ideas that also wanted to be done in pictures. (Like the ten sequels to that first space pirate story. Oi!) Mostly they are waiting for me to have time to get to them, which at the rate I'm going may never happen.

But I'm trying really hard to get to the second of the space pirate stories at least. It's been scripted, and storyboarded, and revised, and I can get started on the 3D artwork just as soon as I get finished with the current set of novel releases, and finish the first draft of that one other story, and do some revisions on that other story...

::sigh::

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
I think maybe it was comic books, like I think a friend of mine had some old comics his mom had picked up at a garage sale or something as cheap entertainment, and they were fun and eventually we found out there were more!

American or British.!?! I was a huge fan of the Fleetway comic "Jackpot" as it contained the adventures of the "Amazing Three", Oakman, Tanya and Blue Wizard. But obviously there was the usual Marvel and DC Comics of Spiderman, Hulk and Batman... never really a fan of Superman.
Blaxkleric

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:
...It's been scripted, and storyboarded, and revised, and I can get started on the 3D artwork just as soon as I get finished with the current set of novel releases, and finish the first draft of that one other story, and do some revisions on that other story...

::sigh::

Yes... I suffer the same thing though usually I'm either writing story scripts and not in the mood for drawing them or drawing and then I run out of scripts Rolling Eyes
I did enjoy looking through your blog. That's a quite a rollercoaster of a journey your story has gone through from idea to pixel. I like reading about the thinking behind such work and your sketches. All good stuff. Smile
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaxkleric wrote:
I suffer the same thing though usually I'm either writing story scripts and not in the mood for drawing them or drawing and then I run out of scripts.

Hmm...

I have a tendency to do the opposite. It takes me so long to do the covers for my books, for example, that I start going... wanna write, wanna write, wanna write, and I end up doing something like stopping for a week to write a 50K word novelization of the first Black Flag story, or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been drawing comics since grade school for fun. My first were usually Tom and Jerry types featuring different animals. I had a cat/dog, peacock/dog, and cobra/chameleon, that I remember. I was a weird kid. I usually drew during downtime at school and while I acted shy, I secretly loved the attention I got from students and adults alike who caught me working. I had read a lot of Garfield and Calvin & Hobbes. I was really good with stylizing anthropomorphic critters, probably as a result of emulating the poses from these comics.

In high school, I had a friend who got me into anime and as a result, I finally started drawing human characters. Like so many, I wasn't very good (though I, like everyone else without foundation, thought I was awesome). I'm pretty sure I mainly drew [bad] fanart (probably a lot of Dragonball Z and Ranma).

I can't remember precisely when my shameful Mary Sue showed up but I want to say it was during my freshman year of college, likely as a result of hanging out on fanfiction.net reading Harry Potter smut. It was also when I started drawing original characters again and tossing around writing something. I would occasionally draw "scenes" for what was, at the time, a sort of Harry Potter fanfic of my own that took place during the days of the Marauders. Nothing significant ever came of it, aside from a bit more practice and the acquisition of Photoshop. It did see a brief period as a potential "novel" but as Lavenderbard said, I decided my story was perhaps a bit "too hokey for words."

The spring semester of my freshman year, I started dating someone who produced a webcomic. I toyed at the thought of writing my crappy Mary Sue comic but I lost interest in any attempts I made, though by then, it was an original story without Harry Potter elements. I also had a few ideas for other stories beginning to take shape.

A year or so later, my then-boyfriend (webcomic guy) wanted to write a romantic interest for his main character and he wanted to use a character I had created for a pencil/paper RPG; this was meant only as an endearing gesture. I felt threatened by this but told him to go for it. I ended up publishing my own version of my character in a webcomic and that lasted for a threeish months of content, I think. The plan was that I would do a cross-over featuring his character. He asked me not to do it at the last minute, stating that he didn't like the idea of people coming to my poorly-presented site first and being put off his character (I'm completely paraphrasing a memory from eight years ago here).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we each thought the other's art was secretly terrible. Looking back, I had plenty of improvements that needed to be made. Despite the negative first experience, it did allow me to see that I could do something with the medium.

A yearish later, I commissioned someone (from here, actually) to build a site for me (the first one was just a stock template from 1and1 that users with no coding experience could easily manipulate into something that was "good enough"). I had designed the new site and it was incredibly ugly (obviously not the coder's fault). She did what I asked, probably afraid to tell me how hideous it was, not that I would have heeded any advice she might have tried to give me. I moved a few things around and tried a couple launches but quickly lost interest. I continued to develop ideas without acting on anything.

At some point after meeting my now-husband, he offered to code a new site for me so that he could practice various skills that would help his résumé. I designed what is now my current site and he put it up for me.
He built a kickass publisher for me and I learned how to do a fair amount of coding in whatever languages he happened to be working in at the time. The site has seen several changes in how it's coded and we're working on yet another upgrade (I enjoy tampering with the code but this one will see a site-wide UI similar to what I originally had with 1and1, albeit customized for what I do). I finally launched a comic series (little bit of a break at the moment but launched nonetheless) that includes the character that my ex used in college-- the way I wished her to be. It still has an anime look (none of the little -isms manga writers use) that I have actively tried to move past. It's not my best writing but I keep pushing myself to finish it just because I've given up on it so many times already and I feel it will be good for me to get the practice.

I'm finally working on my "big story"-- what was originally a Harry Potter fanfic-- and I can't wait to start committing to its actual production. The Mary Sue is long gone (she still looks like a cute version of me), having developed into a sort of flawed antiheroine. More Abigail Williams. It also features a style that isn't influenced by anime and hopefully, "better-integrated" palettes that aren't so dangerous to the retinas.

Original hack coloring: http://tygry.deviantart.com/art/Tyger-Tyger-51346102

Older coloring (still used in my third/current webcomic): http://ladytygrycomics.com/Pages/Xeno/Football.aspx

Current capabilities the first time I started coloring BGs first: http://ladytygrycomics.com/Pages/Xeno/DetailSketch.aspx

Current, preferred style: http://tygry.deviantart.com/art/Elect-Reprobate-Model-Sheets-Kroenen-480528480

I've accepted that I'm not as good as I once thought I was (seeing younger people with infinitely more talent can be quite humbling) but I like to think I'm still pretty good and that I'll continue to improve. I've got a better eye for color and a stronger command of Photoshop if nothing else. Now I just need to keep at it.

tl;dr (I don't blame you): Probably for all the wrong reasons but I enjoy it, most of the time.

I should see if they ever allowed us to edit our own signatures again. My current site is in the second and third links above.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaxkleric wrote:
smbhax.com wrote:

American or British.!?! I was a huge fan of the Fleetway comic "Jackpot" as it contained the adventures of the "Amazing Three", Oakman, Tanya and Blue Wizard. But obviously there was the usual Marvel and DC Comics of Spiderman, Hulk and Batman... never really a fan of Superman.

Oh American, they didn't really bring the British ones over here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Tygry, thanks for responding. I like your style and its certainly much more animated than I can do. I think your cell-shaded art is especially good. Is that the line you now plan to follow? You sure have a lot of characters lined up? How is Blink coming along?

I've been asked on my blog to do another posting on my old Doctor Who influences, so its here for anyone that is interested: http://mooretoons.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/mooretoons-early-doctor-who-monsters.html
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaxkleric wrote:
Lady Tygry, thanks for responding. I like your style and its certainly much more animated than I can do. I think your cell-shaded art is especially good. Is that the line you now plan to follow? You sure have a lot of characters lined up? How is Blink coming along?

I've been asked on my blog to do another posting on my old Doctor Who influences, so its here for anyone that is interested: http://mooretoons.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/mooretoons-early-doctor-who-monsters.html

Blink on the Xeno cast page? She's similar in design to when I first drew her in 2007 but I'm surprised anyone would dig around enough to notice her at all. . .unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning and you're just curious about one of the blank entries:) I should probably put non-stock silhouettes for the later appearances.

All the same, I genuinely appreciate the kind words. I've been leaning towards something that looks more like 2D animation film footage, e.g., Don Bluth, etc. There's a project that I've been following for a couple years called Hullabaloo that's similar to the styles I enjoy. I love what they're doing and their Indiegogo campaign is going very well:

https://www.facebook.com/SteampunkAnimation

I really need to check out Dr. Who. . .I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about it. Would you recommend starting from the beginning or with a more recent series? Every time I think about picking it up, I feel overwhelmed because it's been around for so long.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did have quite a bit of a dig around your sight as I like to see how people's art changes over time and thought the cell-shading etc made everything look very different. Blink caught my eye simply because there's a Marvel hero with that name, and so I was interested in what your one looked like. One of my main characters is called Man-Ape and recently I found out that Marvel did a similarly named villain in the Sixties. Looks nothing like mine but I was very curious about what his background was like etc.

Dr Who is a tricky one. I love the old b&W ones - though they were broadcast before my time. But many are pretty ropey tbh. Starting with "Rose" and Christopher Ecclestone is a good entry point if you don't want to be overwhelmed or just watch a few classic stories and see what you like. The good thing about the older stories is you don't have to watch them in order, unike the modern stuff which seems to force you to watch them in sequence. Which I don't like. I'm really not a fan of the latest Doctor either, give me Dr's 1-7 any day of the week over him Smile
Blaxkleric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I seem to be getting a fair few hits on the postings of my early Dr.Who drawings I've kept up the series on what got me into drawing on my blog. I thought some of these early hand-drawn scribblings would amuse Smile

Latest Posting on the Meddling Monk can be found here: http://mooretoons.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/mooretoons-meddling-monk-part-one.html

john5884

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started drawing stories that interested me, and when I got a bit older I got into comedy.

graphic novel
Dandy Derrick Fish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been drawing my comic character, Dandy Q. Dog, since I was 8 years old in 1982.

I started taking it seriously after a year at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art in NJ and started self publishing collections of strips done in school and afterwards.

In 2001 I took these same characters, updated and redesigned, and started my online comic, Dandy & Company. While it's not always run consistently, and was on hiatus for a couple of years, it's still going and I still love drawing it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: