TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writer seeking an artist.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulfy121

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Writer seeking an artist. Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Ben. I've been writing script as a hobby for over 4 years now. i have completed an entire graphic novel worth of script. (book one of course) I have over a dozen other concept work, started another graphic novel script, and even began a novel! I have posted here before, with some success on advice and even networked a few artists here.

It's great little read, full of action, death and a horrible secret the rocks the very world that our heroes stand on, as seen here. http://wulfy121.deviantart.com/

However, I have little experience in the art department. I have been trying, but I cannot put the passion into artwork that i do with wordcraft. I cannot pay an artist out of my own pocket as of yet. I had in the past paid a few artists for concept designs for the characters, but like every starving artist out there, I can only afford essentials. lovely sentiment i know.

All i want to see is my story on display for the world to see. that is payment enough. Any and all money that could/would/can be made on this is intended for the artist. I know what you're thinking. 'yeah right'. Right now, nothing could make me happier than seeing this story drawn and inked out. Even if i make nothing on this, I will have it with me the rest of my life. I want to collaborate with an artist that is willing to invest some of their time and effort for a brilliant piece of work that I crafted. All they need to do is draw it. I can make the website, host the website, even promote and market it.

It would make me a very sad person to see this compelling story never make the light of day. if you are interested, you can reach me on here, my deviantart, or my personal email (wulfy121@yahoo.com)

I beg this community, if you have ever felt this way about something, or know someone with a burning passion for art the way I feel about my story, help a guy out.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f you can't "put the passion" into doing the art yourself then:

1. Do a sprite or machinima comic
2. Write a book
3. Knuckle down and draw it anyway

Very Happy About the only advice I ever give is to learn to draw. Drawing a webcomic can massively improve your art skill.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money up for the next year until you can afford to pay an artist. Make some sacrifices. Sell some shit.
wulfy121

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/843333277/490860162?token=834e06e3

i've actually started a Kickstart for it. it'll be live soon.
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstarter may not be the best way of approaching this. It only has a 50% success rate to start with. You're starting with a non-visual medium, so you don't have cool pictures to get people excited with it. But worse than that, you've asked for feedback on your script in the Kickstarter. Bad move, kiddo. That doesn't say "I'm determined to make this awesome" to most people, that says "my script isn't ready". If your script isn't ready, you're not ready.

You also haven't said what you'll spend the money on. That's absolutely necessary. Why are you asking for $2,000? Would $1,000 not do? The potential funder can't tell, because you've not said what you're spending the money on.

Honestly, it looks like you've jumped into this becuase you're passionate about getting it made, but haven't stopped to consider that Kickstarter isn't just some magical money source. It's a business structure. If you want people to take you seriously, you've got to treat this like a business, with appropriate seriousness and consideration, not like a hobby.

My advice:

1. Go away and get the script finalised. Get feedback on it from people who write comics and people who read comics. Make it perfect.

2. Scout out artists you like. Find out what their rates would be for comics of the length you're working on.

3. Save up some cash yourself, and use a bit of that to get some artwork from one of the artists you like. Not a comic page, but maybe some character designs. Something you can put on the kickstarter page to get people interested in it.

4. Do some research into the money thing. How much does the artist cost? How much money will you need to print X number of comics? What about digitising them so you can give some in your donation rewards as pdfs? How much of the funding you recieve will go to taxes? How much will you need for postage and packaging of the physical rewards?

5. Do some research on distribution. How is your comic going to be distributed? Do you have agreements with certain stores? What about online digital distribution channels like Comixology? What will you be able to reasonably charge through those channels, and does it cover the costs of printing etc?

6. Work on your pitch. As it is, it's kind of boring, lacks a lot of the info you should be including, and is in the wrong order. If I was doing this, I'd start with a punch - something cool, exciting, active about the comic itself. Not the origin story with your hero getting hit by an SUV, that's boring. Maybe a prose retelling of the fight with the dogs, that could work. Then second paragraph, describe the comic. What genre is it? When is it set? Give a brief blurb. How many issues will there be and how long will each issue be? Third paragraph is about the money - what it'll pay for, the artist and the distribution and the taxes etc. Then a nice picture. Next you need your credentials. What have you written before, preferably that is published. Having published stuff, even if it's just published on your blog, gives credibility and lets the doubters check up on you to see if maybe they should fund you after all. Then you can talk about why you love comics if you insist, though at this point I'd put a few character outlines, along with images of them. Maybe the five most important characters.

Once you've written your pitch, get feedback, preferably from someone who has completed a successful comic kickstarter. There are one or two who are/used to be active on this forum.

7. In the meantime, work on your drawing ability. If you can at least get some character sketches done yourself, it'll be easier to convey what you want to your artist. And if you end up not getting funded, then you've got a headstart on Plan B: draw it all yourself.
wulfy121

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: helpful Reply with quote

Chilari, i think that has been the most helpful feedback I've had so far. thank you for your time.

On the note of the script, It has been ready for some time. It's done. Proofread and everything. I just cannot get anyone to read or give feedback on it. I think it's perfect, so i figure if someone wants to invest in it, i want their feedback. If you know anyone, or a website that will read and give a critique on it, i would love to have it.
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any particular website, but, well, this is a webcomic forum/catalogue website. There must be some webcomics you read, probably in the same genre you write. Contact the writers of those and ask if they would be willing to read your script and give feedback.
wulfy121

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

well my kickstart will be fixed by tomorrow. And once again i thank you for the advice. I was thinking with my heart and not my head. interested in a script reading? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum