TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a rant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAST

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Just a rant Reply with quote

I just want to vent about what just happened to me.

I was working on finishing up the inking of 5 of my pages for my webcomic..... A total of about 7 hours worth of work was up on my computer... when Illustrator flakes out. I was in the zone so I hadn't saved my work. Illustrator is suppose to do autosaves throughout the process. I reload Illustrator and ALLLLLLL of my work is gone.

It was my own fault for not saving manually, but I almost threw this stupid computer against the wall.

Okay.. rant complete.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Sad It's so frustrating when that happens.

I've gotten super paranoid so my left hand is hitting ctrl-S at LEAST once a minute. Especially when I can hear thunder outside.
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi. The bane of comic artists. Sorry to hear about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still angry about what happened. I almost always save my comic at least every ten minutes, but I was in the zone and had been working for 7 hours straight. I was literally about 20 minutes before I was done for the day when it happened.... It is for sure my own fault, but it was just the way it happened and when that really got to me.

I had planned on doing 3 updates this week, but because of the set back I am only going to be able to do one. Ugghhhhhh... oh well.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalk it up to character building? A learning opportunity? A chance to clean out your tear ducts?

Anyway you look at it, that kind of experience plain sucks.

I know I've been there. My sympathies.
Lindemannade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw man it's always that horrible mix of discouraging and frustrating when things like that happen, and well of course you've come to the right place for sympathy on this topic!

Not the same experience but last week I had to redo a few hours of work when I realized when I'd finished editing an entire originally-A4-sized panel that I'd resized it too small when I'd started and it'd lose all quality making it larger again, so that was fun Wink

MindChimera wrote:
Ouch. Sad It's so frustrating when that happens.

I've gotten super paranoid so my left hand is hitting ctrl-S at LEAST once a minute. Especially when I can hear thunder outside.

Oh God if there's thunder or the lights ever flicker when I'm working on a comic I immediately save and back-up to a memory stick out of complete paranoia - can't remember the last time there was actually a power cut of course!
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably doesn't make you feel better Linde but "We Feel Your Pain" as I think this is something that has happened to all of us at one time or another.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
JFD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned the hard way to save often. Manga Studio has a habit to crash every once in a while, probably due to my computer not having that much RAM (I built it for gaming, so with an ok amount of RAM but lots of VRAM).

I also have a tendency to mess up when I do my shading and do it on the color layer instead of the shading layer I put on top of it. Not the end of the world, but I hate doing that because that makes editing either the shading or the coloring much more painful.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm drawing on a gaming computer too, haha. I didn't build mine though, I have one of those overpriced Alienware monsters that probably weighs more than I do. But it has pretty lights on the tower so that makes it okay.

Why would you want VRAM over RAM? I'm not that great with hardware, but isn't that slower? And RAM is pretty cheap as far as parts go.

I have 6GB and I occasionally (not very often) cap out on RAM toward the end of my comic pages in Manga Studio. The program doesn't crash, it just tells me that I don't have enough RAM to do a thing. It tends to happen when I'm using a lot of gradients. The page scheduled for next week has enough that I can't actually edit it anymore. But it looks almost exactly how I want it, so... I'm kind of fine with it.

JFD wrote:
I also have a tendency to mess up when I do my shading and do it on the color layer instead of the shading layer I put on top of it. Not the end of the world, but I hate doing that because that makes editing either the shading or the coloring much more painful.

I do that a LOT, except with highlights and textures instead of shading. So now I lock my color layer once I've laid down my flat colors. I can't trust myself to be on the right layer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VRAM is the memory they put on graphic cards. The better the graphic card, the more VRAM is has usually. I don't know about slower, but I know that the more VRAM on a graphic card, the more textures in games can be detailed, and thus games are prettier.

But anyway, yeah, I could use more memory Smile
Lindemannade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:

JFD wrote:

I do that a LOT, except with highlights and textures instead of shading. So now I lock my color layer once I've laid down my flat colors. I can't trust myself to be on the right layer.

Oh God when I do work in colour I also do that a LOT - it's good to know we're all incompetent Wink Of course I tend to work in black and white with one layer as I'm an untrustworthy simpleton. Smile

MindChimera wrote:
But it has pretty lights on the tower so that makes it okay.

^that makes it SUPER okay
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my mistake, I was thinking virtual memory and not VRAM. So I kind of cringed when I first read what you said above, haha.

Even when I work in black and white, I find reasons to make more layers. It's usually "uuuuuuuuhh what if I mess this up oh geeze"

Lindemannade wrote:
^that makes it SUPER okay

Glad we agree. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awful. D:

It's also probably why I am so reluctant to abandon old media.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: