TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dying's Easy A new webcomic from the mad mind of Mr. Welch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGlen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Dying's Easy A new webcomic from the mad mind of Mr. Welch Reply with quote

I've written a new web comic with my artist The Lovely Mischa. It's got a death prone mad monk, a nigh invulnerable pirate king, and America's sexiest finely honed killing machine. It's got jokes of a historical, cinematic and even chemical nature and it's anachronistic silliness to its core. Enjoy:

http://dyingseasy.webcomic.ws/

Okay per the constructive criticism below, I've moved the webcomic to a more format friendly site. So now going back to the beginning is actually possible.

Last edited by TheGlen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
VAST

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I am happy to see you fixed your post. I went to your site with the copy and paste technique Smile

I like your premise and your art style. I have a feeling your characters will become more fleshed out with their own personality very quickly. I thunk that is the key to your strip.

I enjoyed the art work as well. I like the coloring, but I would like to see some shadow in there. It doesn't have to be a ton.. just a little.

Your site is a bit confusing. I started with the comic that is on the front page because you have it setup where all your comics are on a single page.... when I realized I wasn't getting the jokes I went to your archive. Once again I was tad confused because when I clicked on June it gave me the comics in descending order instead of ascending. It got kind of annoying going to each month and having to scroll to the bottom to start reading.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with VAST that the website is confusing, and bad websites are a game-breaker for me. Blogspot really, really is NOT a good host for webcomics because of how oldest posts go to the bottom and individual pages don't link to the next or previous ones. If you need a free, easy-to-configure host, I'd really recommend Comic Fury or SmackJeeves. These are comic-oriented hosts with comic communities right at your fingertips, so not only will your website function better and easier, but you'll have easy access to an audience.

I personally find excessive copy/paste of panels to be very boring visually. Your comic Browning FTW really suffers from this to the point where the joke is almost lost, because what Blackbeard is doing is actually more interesting than the repeated background of Murphy just sitting there as he's supposedly (but not actually) fighting a bunch of aliens. Having some variation between the panels, maybe actually showing shots being fired or aliens falling, would help it significantly. I like the idea of the page, but the execution fell flat.

The excessive copy/paste also hurts the tamer pages, because when you just reuse the same images, they become less interesting to look at. I like the art style a lot, but I'd really like to see your artist really liven the pages up more. People aren't static, and even someone standing and having a conversation is going to move around a bit: hand gestures, head tilts, shrug shoulders, etc.)

The first page you linked, along with NaHCO3, are two of the most interesting pages, because the art actually carries weight with the text.

On your latest page Priorities, I think it would have been better if you'd shown in the second panel the possessee with Rasputin yelling, and the dialogue from Blackbeard and Murphy pointing off-panel.

I really like your jokes and your premise, but for me, the copy/paste makes things fall just short of being really funny. I think making your art more dynamic, at least from one panel to another, will really help make the jokes funnier and everything pop more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the input, this is an actual reboot of the comic as the first artist flaked after three panels. This is a new art style for my artist, we are going through the birthing pains. I will see about moving it to another web site, the artist is on a little hiatus because of con season starting. Gives me some time to make some fixes. It's my first real webcomic, trying to get it right.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good. Most people who come here post with their first webcomics, so we're not expecting miracles. Very Happy Take all the time you need, and feel free to write off anything I say as wrong, since it's just a random stranger's opinion and you can do whatever you want with your project.

If you have a following on Blogspot, it may be worth it to keep posting there. But I'd definitely say your main website should be better setup for your content - ComicFury and SmackJeeves are much better options for that.

If it's a new art style, cutting down on the copy and paste can only serve to help develop your artist's skills, because they'll get more practice. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
All good. Most people who come here post with their first webcomics, so we're not expecting miracles. Very Happy Take all the time you need, and feel free to write off anything I say as wrong, since it's just a random stranger's opinion and you can do whatever you want with your project.

If you have a following on Blogspot, it may be worth it to keep posting there. But I'd definitely say your main website should be better setup for your content - ComicFury and SmackJeeves are much better options for that.

If it's a new art style, cutting down on the copy and paste can only serve to help develop your artist's skills, because they'll get more practice. Wink

Don't listen to MindChimera! Do not take Mind's advice on writing of anything they say.... Mind has been a HUGE help for my webcomic and so far every single critique/suggestion they have offered has been spot on and has helped me get better. So.. don't listen to MindChimera... List to MindChimera lol
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, thanks VAST. Very Happy

People take criticism differently so I want to make it clear I'm not trying to offend. I've gotten criticism that I wildly disagree with before, too, so I hope I'm not coming across as "you need to do this or you're bad."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: