TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Binge Browser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bingebrowser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Binge Browser Reply with quote

Binge Browser is an in-browser toolbar that helps you browse the archives of your favorite website or webcomic. It offers hotkeys, a random page key, a title bar to quickly cycle through random titles, and more. Try it with the ten most popular comics on TWCL, listed here.

Binge Browser works for more than just comics. You can "binge" through Wikipedia, a number of interesting Tumblrs, The Onion, and more. Find many more websites listed on the main page. Use the hotkeys for maximal enjoyment.

Have a website you want to Binge? Request it here. Comic authors, make sure to read our Pledge to Creators .

This is a relatively new project for me and I would really appreciate any feedback. I know it is not a comic, but this forum seemed like the most appropriate one on the site.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few comic-centered readers out there already that are similar, like Comic Rocket and InkOutbreak. Something that would interest webcomic readers in particular (that are already offered by the two I linked) that would use this is a way to bookmark where they left off, instead of just jumping to the latest page each time.

Are there any requirements that need to be met for adding a site? For example, when I added my site to the Piperka listing, there were specific HTML standards that were requested for the sake of having the crawler work correctly.

You may want to put a label or something on the bottom bar, or change the alt text on the display button to "Show randomizer bar." It wasn't hard to figure out what it was, but I had no idea what it did before and immediately after clicking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback.

As far as adding sites go there are few absolute requirements. I customize the crawler for each website and I like to think it is pretty flexible. Almost anything with basic next/previous navigation, an archive page, or pagination is pretty easy to add. This means I can easily crawl most blogs, comics, and even the onion.

Thus far, the only sites I have found that I cannot index are those that specifically prohibit crawling or display in a separate frame. In those cases the authors preference is clear, so I leave them alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: