TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bounce Rate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAST

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Bounce Rate Reply with quote

I know there have been previous topics on this, but instead of rezing a post from the dead I thought I would just post a new one.

I had a small question about bounce rate. My bounce rate is currently at 62%. My question is... what is an average bounce rate for a webcomic?
SunScales

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about averages. My bounce rate is about 60% for the last week if that helps. There isn't likely to be a consensus on this, I think, because it's private data and everyone's going to have a unique situation.

Looks like you're using Google Analytics. With the nature of webcomics, it's not unlikely that you'll have a high general bounce rate, assuming you go by the update-on-the-front-page model that most do. What is useful to know, though, is whether those bounces are returning or new visitors. If your New Visitors bounce rate is high, then you have people looking at your landing page and leaving there. If your Returning Visitors bounce rate is high, it's safer to assume they're one of your readers.

Go to Audience -> New vs. Returning to compare. There are other areas in the site where you can break this information up to be more helpful, like how many new visitors from a certain site (referral) are bounces.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

The default page it brings you to with the bounce rate doesn't give too much information on its own to really be useful. Keep an eye on specifics and watch how what you're doing affects what your visitors do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size of archive, number of "extra" pages, and how frequently you update is going to matter too. My bounce rate is around 30%, but I have a 400+ page archive and a humungous cast. So people will come in, flip through a few recent pages to remind themselves what's going on, visit the cast page because they can't remember who X character is, go to the synopsis page because I've just jumped plotlines, etc. Or they flip back to make sure they haven't missed an update because the schedule has been a little erratic lately. Sad As others have said, this isn't in itself bad or good, though if you have this sort of comic it is important to make it easy for people to find their place. If they start bouncing because it's too much trouble to figure out who character X is or what they're doing, you're going to start bleeding readers quick.

Type of story matters as well. I don't tend to get people linking a single page ala Reddit, Stumbleupon, etc, because they think it was funny and want to share. People link to my pages telling other people to read the story from the beginning. Fewer clicks, but a greater tendency to archive-dive: again, not a positive or negative in itself.

It's useful to look these things over from time to time, but don't fall into the trap of treating it as a measure of success or obsessing over it. Trust me, there are much more useful ways to go insane.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your thoughts on it. Yeah, I do use my landing page as the latest comic page. So I guess a high bounce rate is expected from returning visitors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: