TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writer available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OberonVex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Writer available Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Rory MacLean. I'm here looking for partners to help fuel my hobbies; hobbies I hope one day turn into a source of supplemental income. I have no talent when it comes to drawing, whether by traditional means or digitally, but I absolutely love to write. I have no formal training nor do I have an extensive portfolio of previous works -- I am just starting out. That said, I would like to offer my services as writer/co-writer/editor to anyone interested, gratis. While I do not expect a huge number of responses, should I be inundated with requests I may have to turn some people down.

My purpose for this is simple: I wish to create contacts within the webcomic community and form a portfolio.

I am a very flexible writer though I do prefer to work in the sci-fi, fantasy or survival genres. As I mentioned before, I do not have a portfolio at the present time, but should you be interested in seeing my work before coming to a decision, I would be happy to write a page or two on a topic of your choice to show my skills or forward the prologue to my current project (synopsis below).

Additionally, I am also looking for an artist/s for my own project. I am currently writing a script for a sci-fi webcomic aimed at a mature audience. 'Relentless' is a longform comic with a defined end. Ideally I would like to work with a pseudo-realistic artist in colour. Artistic style is the domain of the artist, but considering the darker nature of the story I have in mind, a realistic or manga style would probably work best. The story is set in the near future in the middle of first contact with an alien species and the resulting war. The invaders have killed or enslaved ~60% of world's population before being driven off Earth. The story begins five years afterwards, with the protagonist being a father who lost everything to the aliens, who joined a reconnaissance mission into alien space to look for his daughter, who is missing but he believes is still alive. The other main characters consist of the small squad of soldiers lead by the protagonist. A side-plot pertaining to the daughter's situation is present as well. Major themes include war, sacrifice, duty, slavery, justice and love.

I am very flexible as to arrangements for my current project. I do not expect any artist I work with to do so for free. My initial offer would be to share any profit 60-40 (that is, the artist would receive 60% of any profit over and above hosting costs), as well as a start up rate per page -- to be discussed and agreed upon by both parties until profit per month meets or exceeds the page-rate, and should profit ever dip below that threshold again, the artist would receive the page-rate. For clarification: the artist would only receive the start up rate until profit surpasses the rate (IE you do not receive the page-rate AND 60% of profit at the same time, initially you would be working for the page-rate ONLY.) Please keep in mind that this is my initial offer, should an artist request an inordinately high rate per page (based on my personal opinion of your presented artwork) I would counter by a lower percentage of profit. In addition to whatever financial agreement we come to, any artist would also have an equal say in the creation and direction of the story -- I do have a story more or less mapped out but it can be revised to suit our collective tastes should the artist desire it. While there isn't a website currently, I do have another partner who has agreed to design and maintain one. Ideally I would like to have a minimum of two updates per week, though this depends on how much detail is present in the art.

If you are interested in either 'Relentless' or in partnering with me for a different project, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. You can also reach me at oberonvex@hotmail.com .

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Rory MacLean
DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I admire passion, and it seems like you've got plenty of that!

Even though my people at SR are only just starting out, we've only got one comic series off the ground right now, we're looking into anyone else that wants to contribute. Though, I'm the only active artist in the group... heh.

Shoot me an email and perhaps we can talk?

DNova@sequentialrevolution.com

And check out Bleeding Edges, see if you like what we've done so far...

www.sequentialrevolution.com
mcmasters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Writer available Reply with quote

OberonVex wrote:
In addition to whatever financial agreement we come to, any artist would also have an equal say in the creation and direction of the story -- I do have a story more or less mapped out but it can be revised to suit our collective tastes should the artist desire it.

I wish you well and would ask any prospective artists to give your proposal good consideration; the careful composition and attention to proper grammar alone lifts it far above the usual "You draw, me rite, together we= awsomness let me know k?"

I quote the above as a possible warning...is this really what you want? Keep your standards high is my advice. Better, surely, that what you envision not be done at all than done as some half-breed mess that in the end won't please you, your artist, or anybody else.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
Kail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Writer available Reply with quote

OberonVex wrote:
I do not expect any artist I work with to do so for free. My initial offer would be to share any profit 60-40 (that is, the artist would receive 60% of any profit over and above hosting costs), as well as a start up rate per page...

Well, if you're desperate, I never turn down paying work (though I should point out that there are plenty of more talented artist than me floating around).
OberonVex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Writer available Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:

I wish you well and would ask any prospective artists to give your proposal good consideration; the careful composition and attention to proper grammar alone lifts it far above the usual "You draw, me rite, together we= awsomness let me know k?"

Thank you for your vote of confidence! While only time will tell, I have faith that this webcomic will do well.

Kail wrote:
I never turn down paying work

Thank you for your interest as well. I dug through your post history and found a link to your comic, and I would like to say that you do not give yourself enough credit. The fact that there are more accomplished artists around does not diminish your own talent. Your art is still of a good quality. However I have received messages from a few other artists and am currently deciding between them. To keep it fair, I cannot take more submissions at this time as this would drag out the selection process. If you are still interested, I might have work for you in the future on other projects.

General Update

At this time I am no longer accepting submissions for my current project 'Relentless'. If you would like to collaborate with me for a different project, have me proof-read or help you develop your own projects I am still available. While 'Relentless' is a paying gig, I cannot afford to start more than one webcomic at this time while paying the artist -- any additional stories would be collaboration only, at this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum