TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday comics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Holiday comics Reply with quote

I leave home for a few days, and look what happens. Anyhow, now that we are officially in the run up to Christmas...

Who does regular holiday (Christmas or otherwise) comics? Who does holiday filler, and who actually has relevant holiday content?
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, my characters might have heard of Christmas, since they seem to have access to books that have been written on Earth, etc.

But they don't celebrate it. They not only don't celebrate any of our world holidays, they don't celebrate any other world holidays... presumably because they come from several dozen different worlds and it just gets to be too much.

I can just barely imagine there being a little pop-up showing up on the ship screens telling them that it happens to be Christmas... along with a half dozen other "notable days" around the galaxy. I can't imagine any of them caring.

So when I try come up with some "holiday" filler material, I come up blank. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first year of my comc, so I guess I can't say I do anything regularly. I've been on several art forums over the years and usually do some sort of Secret Santa art trade thing, but since I've been so busy this year, I didn't sign up for any.

I have a bit of time now, so I sat down the other night to think of something I could do (ideally a stand-alone picture), and ended up with a four page story arc. So now I need to see if I can get it enough of it done before this Monday (along with my regular updates, because I don't want to pause the story where it's at right now).

I did Marscaleb's Halloween thing. I doubt I'll do many holidays outside of Christmas and Halloween. Christmas since it's kind of a big one, and Halloween since it's my favorite holiday.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With webcomic time, my first holiday-related comics will probably come up some time in July or August. I've never made fillers, I just keep updating with the current story.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do holiday-themed gallery pieces or update a picture on my homepages but I didn't do anything this year. My comics are story-based so weaving it into the story would probably feel very contrived.

The one comic where I just do the art is gag-a-day and the author usually has me do seasonal-type illustrations for that though.
Kelly Tindall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I found out that Saint Nicholas was the patron saint of pirates and thives, I'm sorely tempted to do a for-pay Strangebeard Christmas story... but that'll have to be next year, I'm absolutely out of time this season.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who runs out of time at Christmas?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed a number of Christmas-themed strips over the years, many related somewhat to mathematics as it's a school-based comic with a heavy math theme, but I like all things geeky, so science and English (with doses of Shakespeare, Dickens and Monty Python) work their way in.

A few years ago, I ran out of time before I could do a strip and I almost forgot to do it the following year. Last year, I just kept putting them up through half of December. Why save Christmas ideas for 10 years if I might give up the strip next July?

Anyway, with varying degrees of hits and likes among the readers, here's the Christmas tag from my blog. (Feel free to like, share, upvote, +1 or whatever your persuasion.)

http://mrburkemath.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say exactly what is "regular" when this is only my second Christmas with my webcomic, but what I have managed thusfar and intend to continue doing is to post a Christmas filler of some sort.
Last year it was a Bob-and-George-Style cast party. This year it's a b&w comic depicting a previous Christmas for one of my characters.
Fugabutacus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Christmas-themed comics for most of December on Fetch. Since the comics been going for a few years, there's now over 30 strips dedicated to the holiday.

October's a more interesting month, though. I dedicate the whole month each year to doing a horror-themed storyline that takes place outside the comic's normal continuity, allowing all sorts of crazy things to happen. So far, there have been zombies, living scarecrows and a nasty case of Jekyll and Hyde.

Last year saw my characters face a vengeful Egyptian mummy. There's also a running gag that Bailey dies every single Halloween, which I love.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: